RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,701
Members: 24,209
Currently online: 810
Newest member: pagtwashin

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 5 2013, 06:05 AM   #16
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Re: Orphan Black kept my Attention.

Just watched the pilot. It definitely kept my attention and I'm looking forward to episode 2.
Old April 6 2013, 10:03 PM   #17
lennier1
Commodore

One thing that was kinda weird is the German birth certificate.

The dialogue stated that Katja was born in Berlin.
The actual certificate claimed that it was an East German document from 1985, but the text they showed stated Würzburg, a West German city about 70 kilometers away from the former border to the GDR. Probably just some production screw up, but still kinda weird.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 10:59 PM   #18
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

We're assuming that these clones age naturally.

Of course forced maturation means that our hero could never have been growing up side by side with her foster brother unless he's a handler.

But the documentation might still have to have been faked (poorly) if the girls weren't released from their clone factories until they were 5 or 6... Maybe all the clones started in orphanages?

Factory built or a mass of artificial inseminations were hijacked as the girls were released into the wild.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 11:06 PM   #19
lennier1
Commodore

I wonder if they'll do the same thing as Kyle XY, where we later found out that the main character was part of an experiment's first batch, but certainly not the last one?
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 12:12 AM   #20
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Well, we've seen three. They'd be wussies to cap this at three.

Old April 7 2013, 04:49 AM   #21
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Well now we've seen five....mmmmm five.

8 more eps to the season, how long I wonder will it take to explain everything (if they do)?

And what to leave for a possible S2?
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 05:34 AM   #22
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

That was so much better than the pilot episode, and I liked that episode. They really did push to get Sarah fully entrenched in this whole mystery thing this week and man did the plot keep moving and was fast. I almost feel like I need to see the first two episodes again but this episode was really good.

So so far we've seen Sarah, Beth, the Soccer Mom, the Gangsta, and the German, and it seems like this "person" has been planted all around the world using various stereotypes of humanity, or at least that's what I got from the Briefcase scene and the final scene.

Ar-Pharazon,

I too was wondering how they are able to maintain this storyline. I think each episodes builds on something bigger and it's going to be like an Army of clones or something. I'm almost worried this show might have a Heroes syndrome (And to that extent, Glee Syndrome) which is great first season but how do you maintain this quality while keeping the story interesting. Still, we're only 2 episodes into a 10 episode run. There's plenty more time to see where this goes, and honestly, I think I might look more forward to this show than Doctor Who.
Old April 7 2013, 07:16 AM   #23
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I see two reasons to make clones: Immortality and piety dish, which pretty much sums up to the same thing.

They're all growing replacement organs for someone special, or their entire body is a replacement vehicle for someone special, but whether that's an outright brain transplant or just digitally imprinting brain patterns... Or they could be growing a virus or a cure to something horrible... Seeing how environmental effects impact on perhaps a "cancer potential gene" or else why let them lose to the our corners of the planet?

Ah!

What if each of the clones is referred to as a colour?

Orphan Red, Orphan Yellow, Orphan magenta... Etcetera, etcetera.

Last edited by Guy Gardener; April 7 2013 at 10:32 PM.
Old April 7 2013, 07:19 AM   #24
Aldo
Admiral

I too thought this episode was better than the pilot...and I too, loved the pilot. This is just a great show and I'm looking forward to see where it's heading.

One minor nit though, I hope this story line about the cop and her partner and this shooting has something to do with the main plot. Right now it doesn't feel like it has anything to do with anything and is taking away from the plot with the clones.
Old April 7 2013, 07:32 AM   #25
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

In my mind I am already comparing next weeks episode to the second episode of Continuum where the future cop had to pretend that she was a present day cop and work a case using only stone knives and bear skins.

Old April 7 2013, 03:30 PM   #26
RoJoHen
Awesome

Watched most of the pilot last week and thought it was interesting. Tried watching the new episode last night and turned it off after 5 minutes. That Felix character has to be one of the most annoying people I've ever seen, and his awkward drunk fight with ex-boyfriend dude was just weird. I won't be able to watch any more new episodes from here on out anyway due to work, so I'll just wait and see how it does in the reviews. I may come back to it if the first season shows up on Netflix someday.
Old April 7 2013, 04:30 PM   #27
Mister Fandango
Captain

Aldo wrote: View Post
I too thought this episode was better than the pilot...and I too, loved the pilot. This is just a great show and I'm looking forward to see where it's heading.

One minor nit though, I hope this story line about the cop and her partner and this shooting has something to do with the main plot. Right now it doesn't feel like it has anything to do with anything and is taking away from the plot with the clones.
It's pretty obvious that it is related.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 06:34 PM   #28
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
Aldo wrote: View Post

It's pretty obvious that it is related.
Didn't Sarah say that Beth was investigating the twins at the time of the shooting?
Old April 7 2013, 06:40 PM   #29
sojourner
Vice Admiral

I hope it's not related. I hate small world syndrome.
Old April 8 2013, 12:34 AM   #30
jayceee
Commander

Came across the second episode while I was bored and channel surfing.

Couldn't figure out what this episode was suppose to be about. (Didn't see the first episode).
jayceee is offline   Reply With Quote