RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,555
Posts: 5,401,613
Members: 24,861
Currently online: 540
Newest member: bunty2

TrekToday headlines

Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Abrams To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek 3 Casting Rumor Reactions
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek Comics Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 7 2013, 07:58 PM   #1
Ryva Brall
Commander
 
Ryva Brall's Avatar
 
Location: Empok Nor
Voyager and MBTI

Hi. First of all, I realize it's been a while. It's always a good idea to write down your password. And that's all I'll say on the subject.

Anyway, I noticed that there no threads speculating the types of the Voyager characters, according to the Myers Briggs test. I realize it's not a completely accurate test, and that fictional characters are almost never easy to type, because they're not always written consistently. But I thought it might be fun.

So here are my best guesses on a few of the characters:

Janeway - ENTJ (with a strong F)
Chakotay - INFP
Tuvok - ISTP
Harry - INTP
Neelix - ENFP
Seven - INTJ
The Doctor - ENTP

One website typed the Doc as an ISFP, but I don't see that at all. He's not exactly humble or down-to-earth, and he's not an introvert. He was antisocial in the beginning of the series, but that was due to inexperience. (And being programmed as a grouch. ) Once he developed his own personality, he was outgoing, ambitious, and enthusiastic.

Anyway, that's what I think. Not sure about the rest of the characters. How about you guys? Any ideas?
__________________
Mentally unstable like a fox!
Ryva Brall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 08:21 PM   #2
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral
 
Dr. Sevrin's Avatar
 
Location: Melakon's grave
Re: Voyager and MBTI

I only took Intro to Psychology, and that was in 1969, so even after reading the Wiki article, I have no idea what any of this is about. Except for the password business.
__________________
Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard: For duty and humanity! --Men in Black, 1934
Dr. Sevrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 09:36 PM   #3
Queen Arachnia
Commodore
 
Queen Arachnia's Avatar
 
Location: aka Captain Kathryn
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Queen Arachnia
Re: Voyager and MBTI

Ryva Brall wrote: View Post
Hi. First of all, I realize it's been a while. It's always a good idea to write down your password. And that's all I'll say on the subject.

Anyway, I noticed that there no threads speculating the types of the Voyager characters, according to the Myers Briggs test. I realize it's not a completely accurate test, and that fictional characters are almost never easy to type, because they're not always written consistently. But I thought it might be fun.

So here are my best guesses on a few of the characters:

Janeway - ENTJ (with a strong F)
Chakotay - INFP
Tuvok - ISTP
Harry - INTP
Neelix - ENFP
Seven - INTJ
The Doctor - ENTP

One website typed the Doc as an ISFP, but I don't see that at all. He's not exactly humble or down-to-earth, and he's not an introvert. He was antisocial in the beginning of the series, but that was due to inexperience. (And being programmed as a grouch. ) Once he developed his own personality, he was outgoing, ambitious, and enthusiastic.

Anyway, that's what I think. Not sure about the rest of the characters. How about you guys? Any ideas?

Ooo...fun! I know a pretty good deal about the Myers-Briggs personality types. Whenever I take the test, I am consistently shown as INFP.

For those who don't know, here's a map of what the types mean according to the official website:

Favorite world: Do you prefer to focus on the outer world or on your own inner world?
This is called Extraversion (E) or Introversion (I).

Information: Do you prefer to focus on the basic information you take in or do you prefer to interpret and add meaning?
This is called Sensing (S) or Intuition (N).

Decisions: When making decisions, do you prefer to first look at logic and consistency or first look at the people and special circumstances?
This is called Thinking (T) or Feeling (F).

Structure: In dealing with the outside world, do you prefer to get things decided or do you prefer to stay open to new information and options?
This is called Judging (J) or Perceiving (P).
__________________
Assimilate more Janeway...among other stuff! Captain Kathryn's Tumblr
Queen Arachnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 09:43 PM   #4
Queen Arachnia
Commodore
 
Queen Arachnia's Avatar
 
Location: aka Captain Kathryn
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Queen Arachnia
Re: Voyager and MBTI

Here are my own guesses:

Janeway - ENFJ (slightly different from what you had...I think she let her feelings dictate her decisions more often than just looking at the logical action.)
Chakotay - INFP
Tuvok - ISTJ or INTP
Harry - ISFJ
Neelix - ESFP
Seven - ISTP
The Doctor - ENTP or ENTJ
__________________
Assimilate more Janeway...among other stuff! Captain Kathryn's Tumblr
Queen Arachnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 10:13 PM   #5
teacake
Admiral
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Voyager and MBTI

The EMH is a classic ENTP in my opinion.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 10:15 PM   #6
Queen Arachnia
Commodore
 
Queen Arachnia's Avatar
 
Location: aka Captain Kathryn
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Queen Arachnia
Re: Voyager and MBTI

teacake wrote: View Post
The EMH is a classic ENTP in my opinion.
What would you give Janeway?
__________________
Assimilate more Janeway...among other stuff! Captain Kathryn's Tumblr
Queen Arachnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 10:22 PM   #7
teacake
Admiral
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Voyager and MBTI

I've always seen her as an S but it's hard to jig that into her also being Fe as she sure isn't an ESFJ. Fiction being not as easy to type as real people. The problem with making her an ENFJ is that would make her Fe dominant and I don't see that either. So I tend to think of her as an ESTJ with highly developed people skills. I could get sold on ENTJ though.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 10:23 PM   #8
dub
Fleet Captain
 
dub's Avatar
 
Location: Location? What is this?
Re: Voyager and MBTI

My favorite was the ENTC, but I also like the ENTA and the movie ENT.

dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 10:28 PM   #9
teacake
Admiral
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Voyager and MBTI

I wish we had gotten a movie ENT.. but I wish we had gotten a movie VOY even more
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 10:33 PM   #10
Queen Arachnia
Commodore
 
Queen Arachnia's Avatar
 
Location: aka Captain Kathryn
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Queen Arachnia
Re: Voyager and MBTI

teacake wrote: View Post
I wish we had gotten a movie ENT.. but I wish we had gotten a movie VOY even more
They really should have made a movie for VOY.
__________________
Assimilate more Janeway...among other stuff! Captain Kathryn's Tumblr
Queen Arachnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 10:35 PM   #11
teacake
Admiral
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Voyager and MBTI

__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 11:05 PM   #12
Ryva Brall
Commander
 
Ryva Brall's Avatar
 
Location: Empok Nor
Re: Voyager and MBTI

Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
Here are my own guesses:

Janeway - ENFJ (slightly different from what you had...I think she let her feelings dictate her decisions more often than just looking at the logical action.)
Chakotay - INFP
Tuvok - ISTJ or INTP
Harry - ISFJ
Neelix - ESFP
Seven - ISTP
The Doctor - ENTP or ENTJ
Just curious; why do you type Seven as an ISTP? Most people seem to think she's an INTJ, including myself. (Of course, that may be because I'm an INTJ, and I strongly identify with her.)

By the way, that was a great description of the Myers-Briggs type indicator. I was trying to think of a way to explain it without being too long-winded, but you did it splendidly.
__________________
Mentally unstable like a fox!
Ryva Brall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 11:10 PM   #13
teacake
Admiral
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Voyager and MBTI

I think she's quite S myself, she's very literal. But I also think she's very hard to type as her personality is trying to find itself amidst the Borg programming. Certainly agree with the ITJ.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 11:13 PM   #14
Queen Arachnia
Commodore
 
Queen Arachnia's Avatar
 
Location: aka Captain Kathryn
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Queen Arachnia
Re: Voyager and MBTI

Ryva Brall wrote: View Post
Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
Here are my own guesses:

Janeway - ENFJ (slightly different from what you had...I think she let her feelings dictate her decisions more often than just looking at the logical action.)
Chakotay - INFP
Tuvok - ISTJ or INTP
Harry - ISFJ
Neelix - ESFP
Seven - ISTP
The Doctor - ENTP or ENTJ
Just curious; why do you type Seven as an ISTP? Most people seem to think she's an INTJ, including myself. (Of course, that may be because I'm an INTJ, and I strongly identify with her.)

By the way, that was a great description of the Myers-Briggs type indicator. I was trying to think of a way to explain it without being too long-winded, but you did it splendidly.
Oh no, I didn't write it! Haha. It is a portion from the Myers Briggs website.

Hmm...about Seven...if not ISTP, than ISTJ.

I see her as more of the Sensing type, at least from this assessment:
http://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-p...-intuition.asp
__________________
Assimilate more Janeway...among other stuff! Captain Kathryn's Tumblr
Queen Arachnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 11:20 PM   #15
teacake
Admiral
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Voyager and MBTI

I would love to see 7 in 30 years time when she's spent more of her life as an individual than not. I wonder what she would be like.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
briggs, mbti, myers, myers-briggs

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.