RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,668
Members: 24,821
Currently online: 445
Newest member: SB118_Laxyn

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old March 29 2013, 04:20 PM   #91
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Re: The Life And Scandalous Times Of John Nathan-Turner

Christopher wrote: View Post
^Again, whether the audience reaction is predictable or not has nothing to do with it, because he didn't say he was surprised by it, he said he found it unfair. Lots of predictable reactions are unfair. The cynic would say that it's surprising when anything in life is fair.
All right, I'll grant you that if he didn't give it that title and if he only said the reaction was unfair, I might agree somewhat. However, in that specific scenario, it sounds like he's blaming the public when he should be blaming the publisher.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2013, 04:47 PM   #92
Christopher
Writer

Two sides of the same coin, though. Publishers play up sensationalism because audiences embrace it.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 10:38 PM   #93
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Colin Baker isn't very happy:

The Sun and The Mirror published some of these allegations with pictures – on the front page – of John and myself with the respective headlines ‘Pervs of Doctor Who’ and ‘Doctor Who Sex Scandal’.

Despite the addition in minuscule print, a fraction of the size of the blaring headline in The Mirror, that I was ‘not involved’, the casual observer in a newspaper shop would see only one image of a Doctor Who on which to base their assumption of whom the headline was accusing of being the subject of a scandal.

The Sun’s exclusion of me from the allegations was in paragraph twelve of an article on page six. The front page used the word ‘pervs’ and there were two images above it, mine and that of the producer who was not a publicly recognisable face. What other conclusion would the casual observer arrive at but that I was a ‘perv’?
http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/your...use_my_image_/
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 11:05 PM   #94
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Colin Baker isn't very happy:

The Sun and The Mirror published some of these allegations with pictures – on the front page – of John and myself with the respective headlines ‘Pervs of Doctor Who’ and ‘Doctor Who Sex Scandal’.

Despite the addition in minuscule print, a fraction of the size of the blaring headline in The Mirror, that I was ‘not involved’, the casual observer in a newspaper shop would see only one image of a Doctor Who on which to base their assumption of whom the headline was accusing of being the subject of a scandal.

The Sun’s exclusion of me from the allegations was in paragraph twelve of an article on page six. The front page used the word ‘pervs’ and there were two images above it, mine and that of the producer who was not a publicly recognisable face. What other conclusion would the casual observer arrive at but that I was a ‘perv’?
http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/your...use_my_image_/
I dont blame him. In my opinion, even if it's not "legally" slander, it most certainly is ethically slander, and I can't imagine they were completely aware of what they were doing and how easily it could be miscontrued (And how unlikely it would be for a passerby reading it through a window not to miscontrue it)

Who the hell wants to be subjected to something like that at anytime in their life, but, especially not when you're in your 70s and 80s and above.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 08:58 PM   #95
Starkers
Admiral

I hopes he sues em!

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 10:16 PM   #96
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

Starkers wrote: View Post
I hopes he sues em!
Be nice but as C. Baker states he's not really able to afford it - he's still got dependent daughters and his going after the media scum could impact them in as well.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote