IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old April 7 2013, 06:24 AM   #16
stj
Rear Admiral

Re: another 100 best movies list

^^^Black and white means older movies. I've never heard/seen a woman reject a movie unseen for being in black and white, while I've heard/seen a number of men do so. Maybe that's some bizarre fluke in my personal experience. But sometimes you can't just wait for a scientific survey to tell you what to think.

Those of you who aren't interested in the list but some sort of weird carping aren't doing a very good job: I overlooked Terms of Endearment and that really is an error. Does that mean you lose because you missed it, or did you win because I made an error? No doubt this conundrum has to be solved in order to be a genuinely sensitive and tasteful judge of cinema
Old April 7 2013, 07:43 AM   #17
Harvey
Admiral

As slang, I don't think that's particularly common, but I see your point. The list is certainly slanted to the contemporary more so than the Sight & Sound poll, for example, but it doesn't seem particularly bereft of older movies (depending, of course, on how old the movies have to be to be considered "older"). By my count, only 35 films on the list were released after the year 1980, and many of the films are significantly older than that.

On the specific point of women being more accepting of older films than men, my personal experience has indicated no such difference. But, of course, YMMV.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 02:12 PM   #18
stj
Rear Admiral

One of the things that makes this a better (i.e., less cracked) list of best movies is that they are cautious about including every recent combined popular and critical hit that everyone can bring to mind. The reviewers tended to choose more films that have a claim to be able to stand the test of time. This list is even sensible enough that there isn't a lively discussion ragging on it for the weird choices. Even so, 35 from after 1985 is quite a lot.
Old April 7 2013, 06:27 PM   #19
Harvey
Admiral

1980, not 1985. From the past ten years, I think the only film on the list is Star Trek (2009). I don't think either of us would choose that film if we were one of the list-makers, but for very different reasons.

And, to split hairs, according to MSN it is a list of staff favorites, not a list of the "best" movies.

What lists do you have in mind that are flooded with recent hits rather than established classics? The lists I have in mind (AFI's 100 Years, 100 Movies; Sight & Sound's critics' and directors' polls) are just the opposite.

Old April 7 2013, 07:24 PM   #20
stj
Rear Admiral

The kind of lists thrown done as occasional features by popular media. Or on a blog. No I can't remember an example, since those lists are so terrible for anything but tearing apart. It's true that the movies on this list are formally staff favorites, but who is interested in citing their worst taste, instead of their best? Except for a guilty pleasure list, that is. Not even Star Trek (2009) is justified on that basis.

The AFI and Sight & Sound lists are marked by an interest in films that are historically significant but not necessarily alive in popular memory. This is a perfectly valid approach of course. I posted a link to this particular list because it was a rare example of a different approach that wasn't fodder for humor. AFI or Sight & Sound lists would almost certainly include Avatar just for its role in popularizing new 3D tech, for instance.
Old April 7 2013, 07:55 PM   #21
Harvey
Admiral

Avatar was barely a blip in the latest edition (2012) of Sight & Sound's poll, which is conducted every ten years. AFI did their last top 100 film list in 2007, before Avatar's release, although I suspect they might swap it out in Titanic's place if they do another top 100 list in 2017.

Old April 7 2013, 11:32 PM   #22
BizarroStormy
Fleet Captain

Two thoughts.

First: I think it's way too early to place AVATAR or STAR TREK 2009 on any all-time best lists until a lot more time has passed. Apologies to Zoe Saldana buffs. But first I'd wait to see how bad the next two decades' movie are going to get.

Second: Speaking from experience, it IS possible to compile a list from every major film decade starting with the 1900s and still get severely roughed up. But when you have 375 and put CITIZEN KANE in last place, that's to be expected.

Harvey recommended it be cut-pasted together then run in its entirety. Perhaps soon. Still, it's a fluid list with new additions every year or so. The movies this decade I'd rank the highest so far would include MARGIN CALL, TRUE GRIT, BLACK SWAN, THE SOCIAL NETWORK, and possibly CLOUD ATLAS and THE RAID:REDEMPTION as well. If you limit the ''winners'' to 100, then I'd say TRUE GRIT still has a good chance of remaining.
BizarroStormy is offline   Reply With Quote