To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 5 2013, 09:44 PM   #16
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Re: disney, and the star wars eu

I've thought that the EU has needed a reboot for several years now. The EU has been very lackluster since the New Jedi Order ended. It's gotten too bloated and just too dark. I don't want it to be puppies and rainbows but a little more lightness and fun is needed. The new films will destroy a lot of the EU but I'm cool with it.
Old April 5 2013, 10:23 PM   #17
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
I'm not trying to upset the dedicated EU fans out there, but I am actually rather excited by this. I am old enough to have purchased Splinter when it was first published and devoured the Zahn novels and what came after until about midway through the Vong arc I realised that I just wasn't interested any more. There had been too many so-so novels, too many characters I didn't take to, too many political reversals and I just lost interest. I stopped reading and shortly after, abandoned Star Wars altogether. I've seen around half of the Clone Wars show.
Why would anyone get upset? Nobody is going to be made to throw their books, games, toys, or anything in the fire. You still read it and enjoyed it.

Personally I think the EU is getting a little too 'out there' anyway - at least he post-RoTJ stuff. I gave up after Fate of the Jedi book one.
Old April 5 2013, 10:52 PM   #18
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Yeah well.. you lie down with a giant and he's bound to roll over you.

While some of the EU material is really good most of it is just bland pulp fiction for fans of the brand.. stuff you read in passing while on the train or something like that.

I've had my share of EU books but after the huge New Jedi Order series i was pumped out and quit.. it was always the same, i.e. the big Three encounter some huge problem and manage to solve it.

Now they've obviously branched out a bit.. i loved the X-Wing series for example but in the end the EU was about the Solos and the Skywalkers and i'm ready to move on.

I can only assume there are true long term plans because i doubt Disney will cash over 4 billion if they didn't know exactly how to get everything back and make a tidy profit on top of it. They are in the process of it.. closing down unprofitable Lucasarts is just one step and i believe Disney couldn't care less about EU continuity.

If it's profitable enough they'll either restart the whole EU or just disregard the glitches bound to occur between the new movies and established EU material.

I really hope they give the old guard a good sendoff in the new movies and then cut ties for good and let the new guys take over to build a new universe. Considering the talent they're hiring Disney seems to be serious about it which get's me a bit hopeful that all age groups will be satisfied with the movies and maybe the new EU bound to spring off it.
Old April 6 2013, 12:27 AM   #19
Mr Light
Admiral

The forthcoming "Crucible" novel series already sounded like the final Big Three story, so I hope it ends with a bang and some deaths and marks the end of the current EU.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 12:51 AM   #20
Skywalker
Admiral

There's more to the EU than the novels, which I agree have become very mediocre in recent years. Most of the good stuff can be found in the comics nowadays.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 01:27 AM   #21
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

Just because the specific history will be dropped does not mean characters can not be used in new different ways. When Disney bought Marvel they got a huge group of characters. But they have not had adaptations of specific stories.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 10:28 AM   #22
Relayer1
Commodore

I would expect some of the 'broad strokes' of the old EU to carry over - Mara Jade being the former Emperors Hand, Dash Rendar being a smuggler, some of the inevitable new Jedi being versions of existing characters etc.
Old April 6 2013, 09:16 PM   #23
Deimos Anomaly
Rear Admiral

If they try to say any of the following didn't happen:

The Thrawn campaign
Daala's machinations
Ysanne Isard and her revenge
The Yuuzhan Vong invasion and war

They can go and get fucked in their big mickey mouse arse.
Old April 6 2013, 09:42 PM   #24
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

But YV was shit.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 10:09 PM   #25
Relayer1
Commodore

Deimos Anomaly wrote: View Post

The Thrawn campaign
Daala's machinations

I'd say it's almost guaranteed that ALL of that gets binned. Anything that carries over will probably be as general as 'Mara used to be The Emperors agent', 'Xizor headed the Black Sun criminal empire' or 'Kip Durron becomes a new Jedi'. Nothing more specific, and no old plotlines.

They need a clean slate plot wise for the new films. It is utterly inconceivable that movie screenwriters would be constrained by hundreds of (sometimes contradictory) books and comics. The EU has an audience of thousands, the new movies, millions.
Old April 6 2013, 10:17 PM   #26
Takeru
Fleet Captain

The Thrawn campaign
Daala's machinations

I doubt they care enough about some unimportant book stuff to actually say it didn't happen, they'll do whatever they want and if it contradicts the EU and some fanboys start screaming in agony ... well, then nothing because Disney still won't care.

The EU is not and never was canon and please, no one start explaining the different levels of Star Wars canon, if something is a "lower level of canon" and the people in charge can ignore and overwrite it by producing actual canon material whenever they want then the lower level was never really canon to begin with. S, F, D etc. canon was just a fancy way to say "non-canon".
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 12:13 AM   #27
Relayer1
Commodore

They might not give a damn about the old EU, but I'll bet as a marketing tool any new books get branded 'New EU' or something similar. The implications for the old EU are obvious...
Old April 7 2013, 07:18 PM   #28
Deimos Anomaly
Rear Admiral

If Disney turns the Thrawn trilogy into glorified fanfiction overnight, it will be a kick in the teeth to true SW fans. A real "fuck you" moment.

Anyone who doesn't understand that isn't a real SW fan at all.
Old April 7 2013, 07:27 PM   #29
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

If Disney turns the Thrawn trilogy into glorified fanfiction overnight, it will be a kick in the teeth to true SW fans. A real "fuck you" moment.

The Thrawn trilogy has always been glorified fanfiction. I'm not even sure there's anything wrong with that, actually, but it sure ain't Disney's fault.
Old April 7 2013, 09:50 PM   #30
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Oh, please. Don't we get enough of the "true fan" and "real fan" silliness in the endless nuTrek debates? Neither STAR WARS or STAR TREK is intended ONLY for the hardcore fans--and nobody in their right minds makes a $200 million movie ONLY for the folks who have read every comic book and tie-in novel. STAR WARS belongs to everybody.

The books and comics can be a lot of fun, but forcing the actual movies to stick to them would be like the tail wagging the dog . . . .

Last edited by Greg Cox; April 7 2013 at 10:05 PM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote