RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,444
Posts: 5,507,723
Members: 25,134
Currently online: 451
Newest member: xunixan

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 7 2013, 05:13 AM   #121
sidious618
Admiral
 
sidious618's Avatar
 
Location: New York, US
Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: Roger Ebert is dead...

the G-man wrote: View Post
It's cute how many of the same people defending Ebert's politicizing his reviews are the same people who had a fit over the idea of Orson Scott Card writing Superman, despite the fact there's no evidence whatsoever that Card would insert his views into the comic book.
This is awful. Card equates gay people with pedophiles. Ebert has never done anything so inflammatory and you should be ashamed of yourself for making the comparison. Why you'd come into a memorial thread to say such a thing is beyond me.
__________________
We've met before, haven't we?
sidious618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 05:59 AM   #122
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral
 
auntiehill's Avatar
 
Location: hillsville
Re: Roger Ebert is dead...

Deadline's Pete Hammond wrote a lovely eulogy piece for Roger, here.
__________________
"This boy is Ignorance. This girl is Want. Beware them both,and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy, for on his brow I see that written which is Doom, unless the writing be erased." -Dickens.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 12:21 PM   #123
{ Emma Snow }
Where you lead...
 
{ Emma Snow }'s Avatar
 
Location: ... I will follow.
Re: Roger Ebert is dead...

sidious618 wrote: View Post
the G-man wrote: View Post
It's cute how many of the same people defending Ebert's politicizing his reviews are the same people who had a fit over the idea of Orson Scott Card writing Superman, despite the fact there's no evidence whatsoever that Card would insert his views into the comic book.
This is awful. Card equates gay people with pedophiles. Ebert has never done anything so inflammatory and you should be ashamed of yourself for making the comparison. Why you'd come into a memorial thread to say such a thing is beyond me.
What Sidious said. It's honestly disgusting.

It's also sad to see that American politics are so divided these days that even the memorial thread for one of your greatest movie critics turns into such a ridiculous debate.
__________________
"If it was physically possible to make love to a hot beverage, this would be the one."

It's { Emilia }.
{ Emma Snow } is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 02:04 PM   #124
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Bulawayo Military Krral
Re: Roger Ebert is dead...

{ Emilia } wrote: View Post
sidious618 wrote: View Post
the G-man wrote: View Post
It's cute how many of the same people defending Ebert's politicizing his reviews are the same people who had a fit over the idea of Orson Scott Card writing Superman, despite the fact there's no evidence whatsoever that Card would insert his views into the comic book.
This is awful. Card equates gay people with pedophiles. Ebert has never done anything so inflammatory and you should be ashamed of yourself for making the comparison. Why you'd come into a memorial thread to say such a thing is beyond me.
What Sidious said. It's honestly disgusting.

It's also sad to see that American politics are so divided these days that even the memorial thread for one of your greatest movie critics turns into such a ridiculous debate.

Welcome to what Fox News hath wrought upon the USA.
Shaka Zulu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 03:50 PM   #125
the G-man
Commodore
 
the G-man's Avatar
 
Location: to your immediate right
Re: Roger Ebert is dead...

sidious618 wrote: View Post
the G-man wrote: View Post
It's cute how many of the same people defending Ebert's politicizing his reviews are the same people who had a fit over the idea of Orson Scott Card writing Superman, despite the fact there's no evidence whatsoever that Card would insert his views into the comic book.
This is awful. Card equates gay people with pedophiles. Ebert has never done anything so inflammatory and you should be ashamed of yourself for making the comparison. Why you'd come into a memorial thread to say such a thing is beyond me.
The right to free speech isn't based on whether the speech is politically unpopular, something you agree with or what you choose to call "inflammatory."

Card said/wrote politically unpopular controversial things. Ebert did as well.

In both cases it was wrong to argue the writer should be punished or to argue that he was wrong to make his statements simply because he was being "poltical."

Furthermore, in the case of Card, he made the statements outside the job in question (the Superman story), not as part of the job (Ebert's reviews). Therefore, basing employment on same is especially ridiculous.

In addition, I am hardly the person who started dragging politics into this. I was responding to what others wrote, which was political and took up about 1-2 pages of this thread. My criticism was not one towards Ebert (in fact I posted about enjoying his writing earlier in the thread [April 4 2013, 10:48 PM]). It was directed towards the hypocrisy of posters such as yourself, who attempt to decide what should and should not be said based on whether you, personally, agree with it.

Case in point, as noted above, there were about two pages of political meandering before I chimed in with my "awful" comment. At no time did you (or Zulu for that matter) complain about the thread getting political. It was only when I pointed some apparent hypocrisy from certain left leaning posters that suddenly things were "too political."

And, of course, that political debate was after several pages of people arguing like SW v LotR nerds over how the thread was titled.

So stop acting like this thread was a big love in until I made that comment. And try standing up for diversity of thought once in a while.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 04:49 PM   #126
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Roger Ebert is dead...

Fox News is awful but not primarily responsible for our ideology-ridden culture; it's been an accelerating problem since at least the 1960s.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 05:17 PM   #127
sidious618
Admiral
 
sidious618's Avatar
 
Location: New York, US
Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: Roger Ebert is dead...

the G-man wrote: View Post
sidious618 wrote: View Post
the G-man wrote: View Post
It's cute how many of the same people defending Ebert's politicizing his reviews are the same people who had a fit over the idea of Orson Scott Card writing Superman, despite the fact there's no evidence whatsoever that Card would insert his views into the comic book.
This is awful. Card equates gay people with pedophiles. Ebert has never done anything so inflammatory and you should be ashamed of yourself for making the comparison. Why you'd come into a memorial thread to say such a thing is beyond me.
The right to free speech isn't based on whether the speech is politically unpopular, something you agree with or what you choose to call "inflammatory."

Card said/wrote politically unpopular controversial things. Ebert did as well.

In both cases it was wrong to argue the writer should be punished or to argue that he was wrong to make his statements simply because he was being "poltical."

Furthermore, in the case of Card, he made the statements outside the job in question (the Superman story), not as part of the job (Ebert's reviews). Therefore, basing employment on same is especially ridiculous.

In addition, I am hardly the person who started dragging politics into this. I was responding to what others wrote, which was political and took up about 1-2 pages of this thread. My criticism was not one towards Ebert (in fact I posted about enjoying his writing earlier in the thread [April 4 2013, 10:48 PM]). It was directed towards the hypocrisy of posters such as yourself, who attempt to decide what should and should not be said based on whether you, personally, agree with it.

Case in point, as noted above, there were about two pages of political meandering before I chimed in with my "awful" comment. At no time did you (or Zulu for that matter) complain about the thread getting political. It was only when I pointed some apparent hypocrisy from certain left leaning posters that suddenly things were "too political."

And, of course, that political debate was after several pages of people arguing like SW v LotR nerds over how the thread was titled.

So stop acting like this thread was a big love in until I made that comment. And try standing up for diversity of thought once in a while.
The fact that you regard equating gay people with pedophiles as "unpopular" speech and not dangerous and destructive is shocking. While there was a political battle it was nowhere near as vulgar as what you did. Disgusting.
__________________
We've met before, haven't we?
sidious618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 06:40 PM   #128
The Cubed Ho
Fleet Captain
 
The Cubed Ho's Avatar
 
Location: Foxhot
Re: Roger Ebert is dead...

In both cases it was wrong to argue the writer should be punished or to argue that he was wrong to make his statements simply because he was being "poltical."
---G-Man.

Absolutely correct. It might make the back-and-forth debate a little less interesting, but since Ebert championed civil debate and original thinking, we can survive that. Democrats and Republicans MIGHT see the other's side. But if we're pitting conservatives versus liberals, in my mind that's probably less potential for progress. But much more gridlock.

Speaking as somebody who's voted three different ways, including independent, I think Michael Medved has a clumping habit which handicaps the points he's trying to make. To use one example, he'll call out Hollywood for churning out violent films. But then he will clump FRIDAY the 13th with, ahem, more ambitious films like TRUE GRIT or SAVING PRIVATE RYAN. So he can sabotage his argument and miss the forest at times.

And yet.....and still.....

We could have been anything that we wanted to be.
It's not too late to change.
I'd be delighted to give it some thought.
Maybe you and me could.....oh, who am I kidding????
The Cubed Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 06:45 PM   #129
SantaEddie74
Fleet Admiral
 
SantaEddie74's Avatar
 
Location: The North Pole of the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View SantaEddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: Roger Ebert is dead...

the G-man wrote: View Post
Card said/wrote politically unpopular controversial things. Ebert did as well.
There's a colossal difference between supporting and funding homophobic causes that play an active role in denying fellow citizens basic rights and humane treatment and expressing a liberal-progressive viewpoint while reviewing FROM JUSTIN TO KELLY.

That moral equivalence stuff isn't going to fly when one man is a well-known and active anti-gay bigot and the other was nothing more than a social liberal on many issues who told people if a two-hour movie was great or sucked.
__________________
Remember what cooleddie74 says, kids:

"Don't forget to have a Patrick Swayze Christmas!"
SantaEddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 07:04 PM   #130
Wintertainment
Fleet Captain
 
Wintertainment's Avatar
 
Location: Avon
Re: Roger Ebert is dead...

wow. i didn't think this thread could get anymore disrespectful. and then to decide to compare Ebert to someone like orson scott card? utterly pathetic.
__________________

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Wintertainment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 11:55 PM   #131
the G-man
Commodore
 
the G-man's Avatar
 
Location: to your immediate right
Re: Roger Ebert is dead...

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
the G-man wrote: View Post
Card said/wrote politically unpopular controversial things. Ebert did as well.
There's a colossal difference between supporting and funding homophobic causes that play an active role in denying fellow citizens basic rights and humane treatment and expressing a liberal-progressive viewpoint...
Only because you strongly agree with the latter and despise the former.

The whole point of free speech is to respect the right to say controversial things, even extreme things, so those views are tested in the marketplace of ideas.

Twenty years ago, definitely thirty years ago, Card's view on homosexuality was about as mainstream as Ebert's viewpoint on, for example, socialized medicine (which is what it was often called back then in large part because it was so reviled).

Fortunately, at least in the case of Card's views, popular opinion has changed.

It changed in no small part because people didn't censor or demand that what was then considered an "extremist" viewpoint (that gays should marry) be silenced as controversial.

Free speech and the free exchange of ideas isn't about silencing unpopular or even extreme viewpoints because the simple fact of the matter is that anyone can eventually find even a correct opinion labeled extreme.

And cloaking it in the canard that it is okay to silence Card because his views are anti-freedom isn't going to fly either. Once you go down that path, there are plenty of people who could argue that "socialized medicine" takes away basic legal rights including the right to contract. So if that's your argument, one could have just as easily said Ebert should have been silenced for his political views by couching it in anti-freedom terminology.

You and sideous618 deciding what views can and cannot be aired because of what you might term extremism or bigotry are simply the modern day version of the people who felt justified in censoring what they called "heresy" or "sedition."

If your viewpoints are supportable you shouldn't fear debate.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 12:14 AM   #132
Wintertainment
Fleet Captain
 
Wintertainment's Avatar
 
Location: Avon
Re: Roger Ebert is dead...

please take this elsewhere. tactlessness is not a virtue.
__________________

Hello to Jason Isaacs!

Last edited by Wintertainment; April 8 2013 at 12:26 AM.
Wintertainment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 03:36 AM   #133
Opus
Commodore
 
Opus's Avatar
 
Location: Bloom County
Re: Roger Ebert is dead...

Tim Russert was a great political commentator, but he really pissed me off when he offered movie reviews on Meet the Press.
__________________
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 04:43 AM   #134
Gaith
Rear Admiral
 
Gaith's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, DC
Re: Roger Ebert is dead...

Opus wrote: View Post
Tim Russert was a great political commentator
Rubbish.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 08:23 AM   #135
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Bulawayo Military Krral
Re: Roger Ebert is dead...

^Agreed. At least Ebert (if ever he had been a political commentator) would have roasted the asses of the people that appeared before him trying to soft-pedal bullshit, unlike Russert, who could barely challenge the people in both U.S. parties who appeared before him, sharpened as he was by his debates with Gene Siskel.
Shaka Zulu is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.