New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 7 2013, 09:50 AM   #31
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: Scooby Doo Mystery Inc. - New episodes 3/25

I was too busy to watch the last four episodes, and they are not on On Demand. Crap. I may have to wait for the DVDs.

Christopher wrote: View Post
Never heard of either the films or Tom Laughlin.
The Billy Jack films were big back in the 70s for a while. If you've ever heard the song "One Tin Soldier," that's the theme from the first movie. Actually, even if you've never heard it, it's still the theme from the first movie.
Old April 7 2013, 04:32 PM   #32
Christopher
Writer

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
I was too busy to watch the last four episodes, and they are not on On Demand. Crap. I may have to wait for the DVDs.
On Demand may get to them eventually. My service is rerunning some season 1 episodes at the moment.

And Netflix already has the full first season for streaming. I hope the second shows up soon, though it may not until the DVDs come out.

Still... whatever happened to just plain reruns? When I was growing up, an animated show might have only one season's worth of episodes, but those episodes would get rerun over and over again for years on end. And it was a lot more common for cancelled shows to get picked up in syndication by local stations, cable stations, etc.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 04:38 PM   #33
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I notice when CN dumps episodes it takes a while to get to On Demand which is probably designed to schedule an episode a week for new shows. Even the TV Guide services didn't have the correct airtime for these episodes until days before they aired.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 09:27 PM   #34
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

On Demand may get to them eventually. My service is rerunning some season 1 episodes at the moment.

And Netflix already has the full first season for streaming. I hope the second shows up soon, though it may not until the DVDs come out.

Still... whatever happened to just plain reruns? When I was growing up, an animated show might have only one season's worth of episodes, but those episodes would get rerun over and over again for years on end. And it was a lot more common for cancelled shows to get picked up in syndication by local stations, cable stations, etc.
Everything goes STRAIGHT to DVD today, allegedely to prevent those episodes being pirated. The delay of OnDemand is explained by this also.

Of course, a rather embarassing chunk of torrent activity is from cable customers who are heading to torrents to catch up on shows that they are paying to access but can't.

You actually cannot be sued for downloading software or media that you already own either a license to (ex. subscribing to a channel which airs said content as part of a cable tv package) or a physical copy of.

Recently, I bought a new copy of SimCity 3000 Unlimited from Amazon, but for some reason the install would freeze before starting. Since I have the CD (and more importantly, the CD Key which companies argue is what I actually bought), I simply torrented an .iso of SC3K and used my legal key on it, and it ran and plays fine. All legal.

This inherently leaves people who don't pay for those channels as breaking the law, but given how most internet and cable packages are structured, that's marginal at best.

So essentially, nobody happy!

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 09:41 PM   #35
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

...Still... whatever happened to just plain reruns? When I was growing up, an animated show might have only one season's worth of episodes, but those episodes would get rerun over and over again for years on end. And it was a lot more common for cancelled shows to get picked up in syndication by local stations, cable stations, etc.
Agree.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 10:16 PM   #36
RJDiogenes

I think a lot of things do get re-run a lot, but Cartoon Network seems to have a grudge against Mystery Incorporated for some reason.
Old April 7 2013, 10:40 PM   #37
Christopher
Writer

I think a lot of things do get re-run a lot, but Cartoon Network seems to have a grudge against Mystery Incorporated for some reason.
Given how they've also treated Green Lantern and Young Justice, I suspect it's a matter of target demographics. CN and its advertisers want to appeal to younger viewers, and shows like those and SD:MI are more sophisticated and older-skewing. So they're just not getting the size or type of audience that the network and the advertisers are seeking.

Really, SD:MI was a Scooby-Doo series for people who don't like Scooby-Doo, such as myself -- so it follows that it might not appeal as much to people who are fans of the more conventional Scooby franchise. Sure, there were elements of homage, but also a lot of revisionism and deconstruction, and the stories, despite mostly following the standard formula, tended to be darker and edgier. And especially this last batch of episodes got increasingly dark and strange, and departed further from the sort of thing most people looking for a show about Scooby-Doo would expect or want to see. Honestly, I can see why CN might've been uncomfortable with the darkness and scariness of those last few episodes.

Old April 8 2013, 01:10 AM   #38
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

USS Mariner wrote: View Post
Everything goes STRAIGHT to DVD today, allegedely to prevent those episodes being pirated. The delay of OnDemand is explained by this also.
Except for Megas XLR and Sym-Bionic Titan unfortunately.
Old April 8 2013, 01:49 AM   #39
Christopher
Writer

It occurred to me that there's a small logic hole in the finale, and I added a note about it to the Scoobypedia entry.

Old April 8 2013, 09:32 AM   #40
RJDiogenes

Given how they've also treated Green Lantern and Young Justice, I suspect it's a matter of target demographics. CN and its advertisers want to appeal to younger viewers, and shows like those and SD:MI are more sophisticated and older-skewing. So they're just not getting the size or type of audience that the network and the advertisers are seeking.

Really, SD:MI was a Scooby-Doo series for people who don't like Scooby-Doo, such as myself -- so it follows that it might not appeal as much to people who are fans of the more conventional Scooby franchise. Sure, there were elements of homage, but also a lot of revisionism and deconstruction, and the stories, despite mostly following the standard formula, tended to be darker and edgier. And especially this last batch of episodes got increasingly dark and strange, and departed further from the sort of thing most people looking for a show about Scooby-Doo would expect or want to see. Honestly, I can see why CN might've been uncomfortable with the darkness and scariness of those last few episodes.
That's interesting. I am a (mild) fan of the original Scooby-Doo and some of its sequels and I liked this a lot. Your description makes it sound like something I'd dislike on various levels, and yet this was a re-imagining that I found to be as good or better than the original. The only similar situation that I can think of offhand is Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol.
Old April 8 2013, 10:18 AM   #41
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

i just sat down and watched the last five episodes. man, great stuff. Freddy using Kirk's 'What have i done' line after blowing up the Mystery Machine was nice. that final episode was pretty trippy. shame we won't get a third season. i can only imagine what kind of time tripping adventures they would have with the new Mr. E.
Saga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 01:10 PM   #42
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

CN has canceled the only four shows I watched on it. Clone Wars, Young Justice, Green Lantern: TAS, and SD:MI? Nice.
Old April 8 2013, 02:27 PM   #43
Christopher
Writer

That's interesting. I am a (mild) fan of the original Scooby-Doo and some of its sequels and I liked this a lot. Your description makes it sound like something I'd dislike on various levels, and yet this was a re-imagining that I found to be as good or better than the original.
And I'm sure a lot of adult fans of the Scooby franchise felt the same way about it. This was definitely a show made for older, more sophisticated viewers, people who would appreciate references to Twin Peaks and Lovecraft and Harlan Ellison and Star Trek, people who would be able to look back on the silliness and contrivances of earlier versions with enough irony that they could appreciate this show's affectionate deconstructions, and who'd be receptive to the deeper and more thoughtful characterizations.

But viewers like you and me are not the demographic that Cartoon Network and its advertisers care about. The target audience of preteens, and the parents choosing suitable viewing material for their preteens, might have found this version too dark, too weird, too confusing, too far removed from their expectations.

Old April 8 2013, 10:51 PM   #44
RJDiogenes

Perhaps. Or at the execs thought so. Too bad they couldn't have moved it to Adult Swim.
Old April 8 2013, 11:37 PM   #45
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

It sounds sensible but is there actual evidence that it wasn't meeting target demos?