Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Grade "The Rings of Akhaten"
Geronimo! 15 11.72%
Good 50 39.06%
Average 36 28.13%
Bad 18 14.06%
Terrible 9 7.03%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 7 2013, 04:20 PM   #121
Konata Izumi
Commander

Re: 7X07 The Rings of Akhenaten (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Making a story a tiny bit less fun to remove a part that causes trouble with many viewers, might sometimes be a wise move for the health of the show, especially after the quite unrelenting Series 6, even if it sets some poor example, but when you need to replace tons of stuff with banality to make the show work, there might be something wrong with the makers' ambitions and/or abilities, but at least that's not happening, when you look at the whole.
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 04:24 PM   #122
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Green Lantern wrote: View Post
I much prefer Clara to the Ponds. I was willing them to leave.
No one likes companions once they're gone, or so it seems.
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 04:27 PM   #123
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

I tire of all the domestics. I don't care where they live, if they're dating, who their parents are or any of that nonsense.

Just pick up a companion and go and have some wacky adventures. I watch Doctor Who as an escape from real life so stop reminding me of it.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 04:28 PM   #124
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

I really don't know. To be honest, I don't know how or why people put so much emphasis on background music during a show. Sure, really, really bad music can slap you across the face if it's truly jarring, but the vast majority of the time it's exactly that; background music. I rarely even notice it because I'm usually paying attention to the story and what's going on, not desperately looking for any excuse to hate a show I keep trying to convince myself I like.

I've also noticed that the people who bitch about background music also tend to be the same people who miss all the blatantly obvious things that are going on, asking questions that were addressed by the episode itself. Last week it was about where the Doctor got his "magic motorbike," for example. So, yeah, I feel pretty confident about this mini-rant.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 05:08 PM   #125
RoJoHen
Awesome

Shazam! wrote: View Post
I tire of all the domestics. I don't care where they live, if they're dating, who their parents are or any of that nonsense.

Just pick up a companion and go and have some wacky adventures. I watch Doctor Who as an escape from real life so stop reminding me of it.
Which is funny to me, because while I definitely enjoy the whacky adventures, I watch Doctor Who for the people. The main reason I can forgive some of the nonsensical storytelling of Moffat's Silence/River/whatever arc is because I was so very moved by how those events affected the characters on an emotional level.
Old April 7 2013, 05:14 PM   #126
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Oh and I really liked the "we don't walk away" bit.
I knew there was something I forgot to mention in my post. I loved that part. Maybe The First Doctor would have, but not anymore. This has become core for The doctor.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 05:15 PM   #127
RoJoHen
Awesome

Emh wrote: View Post
The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Oh and I really liked the "we don't walk away" bit.
I knew there was something I forgot to mention in my post. I loved that part. Maybe The First Doctor would have, but not anymore. This has become core for The doctor.
I really enjoyed that as well, along with his follow up that they only run to protect something they care about.

All that running he does isn't for him. It's to get his friends out of harm's way.
Old April 7 2013, 05:26 PM   #128
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

BTW, is the Doctor supposed to still be laying low?
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 05:34 PM   #129
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

The sonic's ability to battle the closing door and the 3 guards was a bit to convenient, but consistent in this case.

Technology in this society was sound based... hence all the singing.

So it makes sense that a sonic screwdriver was the ultimate tool here.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 06:00 PM   #130
davejames
Vice Admiral

Overall I thought it was pretty charming and fun (especially the opening and seeing Clara's initial reaction to the world of Akhaten), but I agree all the stuff with the "Old God" on the asteroid didn't work as well, and felt decidedly cheap compared to the scope of the rest of the episode.

I mean, seriously, if this god can't break out of a glass prison how terrifying can he be? Although I will say the three enforcer-type dudes were a really cool and creepy design. It's too bad the writer didn't ditch the god stuff and have THOSE guys chasing the Doctor and Clara around for the whole episode.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 06:02 PM   #131
jbny67
Commander

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
On the nitpick side of things, what were the Doctor and Clara breathing while flying on the hoverbike?
It was never mentioned in the episode, but I remember reading a plot synopsis, before it aired, that said the planet's rings had an atmosphere.
jbny67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 06:13 PM   #132
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

A spacegoing jetbike would be pretty damn useless without a force bubble of some sort to keep the air in.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 06:15 PM   #133
davejames
Vice Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Right now, unfortunately, Clara is just a nice girl. It's not a bad thing, but it's a little boring. I'm excited to see how she develops over the rest of the season. Her future Dalek self and her Victorian self had way more personality than her modern-day self, but it's possible that that's part of her mystery.
Yeah to me the other Clara's seemed much more vibrant and exciting as well, but I have to admit with this episode I'm slowly starting to warm to the new version.

There's something slightly mysterious and inscrutable about the way Coleman is playing her that I find kinda interesting. And I like that she actually regards the Doctor with a bit of healthy suspicion, and isn't immediately enchanted like most other companions.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 06:22 PM   #134
Captain_Amasov
Captain

Emh wrote: View Post
Captain_Amasov wrote: View Post
Jon1701 wrote: View Post
Oh dear.

Not much of this made sense, and even the bits that made sense didn't particulary interest.

Smith acted his socks off at the end to try and save it, but I'm not sure how the monster-thats-actually-a-sun was defeated by a leaf.

So the seven planets now have no sun?

I love Doctor Who but this was right down there with the worst.
I'm not quite remembering it all, so here goes:

The sun god creature was a parasitic lifeform that every thousand years wakes up and needs feeding with psychic energy. In particular that generated by negative emotions and memories; the aliens use a girl and implant all of the stories of their culture, which I then presume causes the appropriate mental conditions required to make this tasty sacrifice work, and offer her up to it so that their god will be sent back to sleep.

However thanks to his interference in this process, the Doctor himself instead offered it his thousand or so years of pent up negative psychic energy to feed on, and tried to gorge it to sleep again, if not, to death. The Doctor almost got it all the way there, but it needed just an extra push past the post, which Clara provided by offering up her family's life story, embodied by the leaf that allowed her parents to first meet.

I've probably got some of this horribly wrong.
No, you got it mostly right but left out a part: The reason why the leaf was so important it is because the leaf represents an infinite amount of potential stories and memories that could have happened.
Oh right, that's one damn impressive leaf. Maybe the Doctor should've had that as his companion this time round.
Captain_Amasov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 06:27 PM   #135
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
No one likes companions once they're gone, or so it seems.
It's only really a new series thing. Coincidentally when they stared introducing all the domestic crap...
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote