RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,410
Members: 24,630
Currently online: 495
Newest member: DasGeneral

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old April 5 2013, 06:50 PM   #31
wissaboo
Captain

View wissaboo's Twitter Profile
Re: How do I have sex with my girlfriend?

Flux Capacitor wrote: View Post
Start gifting your mom with some all-day spa trips. Even if she gets suspicious she'll be too relaxed to care.
hotel is probably cheaper
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2013, 06:51 PM   #32
lurok
Commodore

OP wrote: View Post
How do I have sex with girlfriend?
Carefully, I hope?

With rising rent/property prices and stay-at-home kids, I can see this becoming more commonplace. Only advice I can offer from own student days:

* suck up to partner's parents. Like, big time.
* borrow a friend's place.
Old April 5 2013, 06:54 PM   #33
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Yeah, all the advice has been given pretty much. Either do it discretely or find someplace else to do it. If you're afraid she's going to "seek solace elsewhere" well.... she's probably not worth keeping around then. It's not like she can reasonably object since she can't provide a place for it either apparently.
Old April 5 2013, 07:36 PM   #34
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

You could always invite your mom to join in.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2013, 07:38 PM   #35
Ethros
Vice Admiral

R. Star wrote: View Post
Yeah, all the advice has been given pretty much. Either do it discretely or find someplace else to do it. If you're afraid she's going to "seek solace elsewhere" well.... she's probably not worth keeping around then. It's not like she can reasonably object since she can't provide a place for it either apparently.
Wise words, thanks, I hadn't really thought of that last point.
Yeah, thanks guys. I guess at first we both just assumed it'd be too awkward, but I was saying to her last night she's always welcome to stay over, so I guess I'll see how it goes
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2013, 09:40 PM   #36
Mooch
Fleet Captain

Pingfah wrote: View Post
I'm not sure what you advice you are really expecting here Ethros, besides "find somewhere else to do it".
It's either that or deal with your parents knowing about it. I'm sure you can manage to be quiet enough not to disturb people too much if you try.
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2013, 09:48 PM   #37
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

DonIago wrote: View Post
Ewww...
Old April 5 2013, 10:08 PM   #38
Melakon
Vice Admiral

If your bed is against your parents' wall, the obvious solution is rearrange your room. Soundproof that wall if you have to, carpeting or egg cartons or foam packing material should work.

Otherwise, either one of you gets a flat, or you pool your money and get one together.
Old April 5 2013, 11:34 PM   #39
Sam_I_Am
Captain

View Sam_I_Am's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Sam_I_Am

If the bed is the problem, use the floor.
Old April 6 2013, 12:00 AM   #40
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I think one thing that gets parents antsy is not their adult kid having someone sleep over it's the someone then hanging around all day, eating their food, being one more person in the bathroom, basically just treating it like their house. If you have a small house especially this can be quite an invasion. They might like your gf/bf fine but that doesn't mean they want to be talking to them in the kitchen at 7am or waiting for them to get out of the bathroom.

So if you keep in mind the possible friction of invading what is your parents space with another person they might not object to her staying over.

And I second the floor, if the bed makes noise. Or put the bed mattress on the floor.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 12:26 AM   #41
Gaith
Rear Admiral

lurok wrote: View Post
OP wrote: View Post
How do I have sex with girlfriend?
Carefully, I hope?
Beat me to it!

... And on the serious side, I second the question of whether you've got any friends that may be able to help out. Also, I don't know how large a town you live in, but maybe AirBnB could help? Friendly people, rather cheaper than most hotels... If you were straightforward about your intentions to prospective hosts, you might find a sympathetic soul - a single woman with a flat to herself, for instance - who could trust you two to have the run of her place while she goes out and sees a movie or something. Might still cost you a bit, but would probably be a lot cozier/less sketchy-feeling than a cheap motel.

In short, possibilities abound for the enterprising Trekker. Get creative! No guts, no glory.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 12:57 AM   #42
Australis
Writer

MadBaggins? That you?
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 01:20 AM   #43
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

I thought the same thing, but the initial post didn't read enough like an awful B-movie.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 11:31 AM   #44
Kestra
Vice Admiral

Just wanted to say don't do it in your car. You think you're in a totally isolated place and then a cop knocks on the window and it's a massive scramble to get clothes on. So I've heard.
Old April 7 2013, 04:31 PM   #45
Stardate
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
DonIago wrote: View Post
Ewww...
Yeah not good