The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old April 7 2013, 05:14 AM   #1
Kestra
Vice Admiral

80s-90s Must See Movies for a Non-Nerd

I have a friend (same age, born in '83) who hasn't seen a lot of movies that other people take for granted. She's like a sweeter, more naive version of myself. Growing up with Indian parents we don't have a lot of the same pop-culture references as other people, and she recently asked me for a list of movies that I think she needs to see.

She's not a nerd so I'm not looking for anything super-geeky unless it was also mainstream. Also girly movies get extra points. And they don't strictly have to be from the 80s and 90s, I just think that's probably the best place to start. I know there are a ton of lists out there but I thought people could throw out some names here.

So far I'm thinking things like:

Back to the Future
Die Hard
Princess Bride
When Harry Met Sally
Breakfast Club
Big
etc

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 05:24 AM   #2
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile
Re: 80s-90s Must See Movies for a Non-Nerd

If you're going to watch When Harry Met Sally, you should see its 90s counterpart Sleepless In Seattle. Toss in You've Got Mail and you've got a nice Billy Crystal - Meg Ryan movie marathon night.
Old April 7 2013, 05:28 AM   #3
Kestra
Vice Admiral

Samuel Walters wrote: View Post
If you're going to watch When Harry Met Sally, you should see its 90s counterpart Sleepless In Seattle.
Oh, one of my all-time favorites! I think she's probably seen it but yeah, I should include that on my list just to make sure.
Old April 7 2013, 05:29 AM   #4
TheOneWhoKnocks
Vice Admiral

Sixteen candles, You bet your life, City Slickers 1 & 2, What's eating Gilbert Grape
No, you clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!
TheOneWhoKnocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 05:33 AM   #5
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Kestra wrote: View Post
She's like a sweeter... version of myself.
Unpossible!

Anyway, those sound good - especially The Princess Bride! - (though I've not seen 4 of them myself) Along those lines, maybe

16 Candles
St. Elmos Fire
Rocky (though, 70s)
Labyrinth
Groundhog Day
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
The Silence of the Lambs
Titanic
Jurassic Park
Terminator/T2
Blade Runner

Just a few that come to mind.
Old April 7 2013, 05:38 AM   #6
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

Not super-geeky ... but it is an entertaining, obscure, dark(ish) comedy, featuring some rather well-known actors: Clue.

And, though it's pre-80s (I think), Watership Down is a fantastic (though sometimes graphic) animated film.

For more pop-culture references, there are: Beverly Hills Cop, Rain Man, ET, Dead Poets Society, and Top Gun.
Old April 7 2013, 05:43 AM   #7
Gov Karnstein
Admiral

'My Favorite Year' Peter O'Toole as an aging alcoholic film star of the Errol Flynn vein who's appearing on a 50's comedy show. The junior writer gets the job of being his keeper.

'Better Off Dead' Quirky John Cusack film about a a schmoe trying to get an ex-girlfriend back.

All That Jazz , OK it's 1979, but... it's a great theater film for those that like to watch folks behind the scenes make theater happen. And it stars Roy Scheider.

Blue Thunder, one of my favorite action films, very cool helicopter action and Roy Scheider again.

Silverado, one of the best Westerns ever.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Karnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 05:45 AM   #8
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

Speaking of Westerns ... there's always Young Guns. And for a similar ensemble, don't forget The Outsiders ... which (by way of stream-of-consciousness) leads to Karate Kid.
Old April 7 2013, 05:59 AM   #9
Gov Karnstein
Admiral

'Splash' is a fun little romance with a mermaid, Daryl Hannah and Tom Hanks are fun to watch and John Candy is a riot all on his own in this.

'Into the Night' folks like or hate this Jeff Goldblum, Michelle Pfeiffer film about a lonely engineer and a lady on the run from dangerous, though inept, killers.

'Being There' also 1979, but it's Peter Sellers in a great social and political commentary on our culture of empty celebrity and longing for meaning to be fed in easy TV sized bites.

'My Dinner with Andre' Two guys talking about their lives and views of life over dinner. Shawn Wallace and Andre Gregory make this a fun film. Loving films with dialogue, this is a gem.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Old April 7 2013, 06:37 AM   #10
sojourner
Admiral

Everything by John Hughes and Spielberg from that time frame.

Lethal Weapon

Pretty much what everyone else has mentioned.

Singles - This Cameron Crowe movie really captures the whole Seattle scene of the 90's. Great soundtrack. Sort of a John Hughes movie with more adult characters.

Grifters - a very dark movie with some wonderful acting in it by John Cuzak and Annette Benning.

The Crow - The death of Brandon Lee during the making of this film made the story all the more powerful and tragic. You'll tear up from realizing what might have been.

Tombstone - Best western movie of the 90's.

Dances with Wolves - most over hyped western of the 90's, but still a very good movie.
Old April 7 2013, 07:33 AM   #11
Roshi's bone
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Roshi's bone

The Goonies
This Is Spinal Tap
RoboCop
Weird Science
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
Raiders Of The Lost Ark
The Last Crusade
The Terminator
Predator
Chasing Amy

Would you include animés? If so:
Graveyard Of Fireflies
Anything by Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Roshi's bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 07:41 AM   #12
Gov Karnstein
Admiral

Ironweed, Jack Nicholson (not overdoing the Jackness, too) and Meryl Streep as homeless folks during the Great Depression. Sad, but beautiful meditation on folks who are unwanted by society.
Old April 7 2013, 07:59 AM   #13
Kestra
Vice Admiral

Lot of great ones that I had forgotten, plus many that I haven't seen. I might need to make a list for myself as well! I'm not replying to each and every post but feel free to keep the suggestions coming. Thank you to everyone who has posted so far!
Old April 7 2013, 11:27 AM   #14
Gov Karnstein
Admiral

'Arthur' Dudley Moore and John Gielgud, don't let thought of that remake cross your mind.

'Tootsie' Dustin Hoffman is fantastic in this.

'Midnight Run' DeNiro is one funny bounty hunter.
Old April 7 2013, 12:24 PM   #15
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

You're just going to cur up your netflix, or cue up your torrents.

Now that I have upteen thousands of movies in my room at my fingertips but what I realize now is that it was the ritual of going to the video/dvd store with friends, arguing about what to watch and what we could afford which was the fun part.

Are you sure that she really wants to watch old movies, or maybe that she wants to spend some quality time with you?

Stop laughing.

"Sigh"

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote