Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old April 6 2013, 09:38 AM   #226
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum
Re: Defending Admiral Cain from Battlestar Galactica(mentions Dick Che

For what it's worth, Dick Cheney is human scum. He can only be admired in the same way as a Xenomorph or a shark. Perfect at what it does, but nothing to emulate. He helped get us into a moronic war based on lies. The blood of every man, woman and child who died during that war is on his hands and the hands of every politician who didn't try to stop it.

Also I also saw Zero Dark Thirty. They clearly showed that torture doesn't get results. A traditional interrogation did. Do you understand what that means? One worked, one didn't. That doesn't mean both work. It's simple, binary, a cat could understand it.

Also I recommend you check out the Governor on Walking Dead. Seems like your kind of hero. He does what needs to be done in order to survive. You kill or you die.
Old April 6 2013, 02:08 PM   #227
randomfan86
Lieutenant

Awesome Possum wrote: View Post
Also I also saw Zero Dark Thirty. They clearly showed that torture doesn't get results. A traditional interrogation did. Do you understand what that means? One worked, one didn't. That doesn't mean both work. It's simple, binary, a cat could understand it.
No need for the condescending tone. It clearly showed that torture softened him up. When they were doing the traditional interrogation right after they tortured him, he figured out that they were lying to him (about giving up information during the torture sessions) and started to not answer, but they threatened him "do you want to get tortured again?" The answer was no and he started to comply.

The film dramatized the torture but was still excellent overall. The CIA was more systematic and clinical with their torture. They would always ask the subjects control questions, and those that didn't comply would be tortured until they induced a state of compliance. Then they would start asking for the real information with traditional techniques. The name for bin Ladin's courier really did come out of one of the people who was tortured.

Being systematic and clinical are crucial to the efficacy of torture. If you are just trying to pin something on someone, and want to torture someone for the answer you want to hear, it'll end in disaster. We sent an Al-Qaeda leader to Egypt to be tortured more harshly and that was where the "Saddam is linked with al-qaeda and is helping to get WMD's for them" justification came from. I don't think you can blame the tactic of torture, in and of itself, for this failure, rather I'd blame the desire that existed to pin something on Saddam and the inappropriate application of the tactic.

Last edited by randomfan86; April 6 2013 at 02:46 PM.
Old April 6 2013, 03:04 PM   #228
Avon
Fleet Captain

yeah thats the problem, inefficient torture.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Old April 6 2013, 05:09 PM   #229
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Okay while I admit that this might not be true, but wasn't the torture stuff something the film made up, becuase I remember an article mentioning inaccuracies in films based on real event mentioning that.
Old April 6 2013, 05:36 PM   #230
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

randomfan86 wrote: View Post
It clearly showed that torture softened him up. When they were doing the traditional interrogation right after they tortured him, he figured out that they were lying to him (about giving up information during the torture sessions) and started to not answer, but they threatened him "do you want to get tortured again?" The answer was no and he started to comply.

The film dramatized the torture but was still excellent overall. The CIA was more systematic and clinical with their torture. They would always ask the subjects control questions, and those that didn't comply would be tortured until they induced a state of compliance. Then they would start asking for the real information with traditional techniques. The name for bin Ladin's courier really did come out of one of the people who was tortured.

Being systematic and clinical are crucial to the efficacy of torture. If you are just trying to pin something on someone, and want to torture someone for the answer you want to hear, it'll end in disaster. We sent an Al-Qaeda leader to Egypt to be tortured more harshly and that was where the "Saddam is linked with al-qaeda and is helping to get WMD's for them" justification came from. I don't think you can blame the tactic of torture, in and of itself, for this failure, rather I'd blame the desire that existed to pin something on Saddam and the inappropriate application of the tactic.
What a barbaric, inhuman, and unconscionable post. Disgusting. To think that we can so dehumanize torture into being "systematic and clinical" ... that such robotic efficiency is what justifies and validates the act.

Shameful.

Then again, this is from someone posting the defense of a character who executed children, so ...
Old April 6 2013, 07:42 PM   #231
Avon
Fleet Captain

yeah.. logic and human decency don't count for much in the mind of someone that idolises dick cheney

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Old April 7 2013, 12:33 AM   #232
randomfan86
Lieutenant

Samuel Walters wrote: View Post
It clearly showed that torture softened him up. When they were doing the traditional interrogation right after they tortured him, he figured out that they were lying to him (about giving up information during the torture sessions) and started to not answer, but they threatened him "do you want to get tortured again?" The answer was no and he started to comply.

What a barbaric, inhuman, and unconscionable post. Disgusting. To think that we can so dehumanize torture into being "systematic and clinical" ... that such robotic efficiency is what justifies and validates the act.

Shameful.

Then again, this is from someone posting the defense of a character who executed children, so ...
To call the post what you did is gratuitous. I merely added what I felt were appropriate descriptions of how the CIA actually carried out the program, contrary to what is being portrayed in Zero Dark Thirty and other media. Being "systematic and clinical" in one's approach can be the difference between success and failure in many endeavors.

Being sufficiently "systematic and clinical" in one's procedure can be the difference between success and failure of a drug during clinical trials. In fact, sometimes a drug is rejected based on the trial being insufficiently systematic and clinical, leading to poor results. Once the procedure is corrected by the investigators, and the trial redone, the drug is approved and can go on to save lives. The drug isn't the variable that has changed.

I should also note that the EIT/torture program run by the CIA has saved lives and led to the name of bin Ladin's courier. This is acknowledged by national security officials of both major parties.

Last edited by randomfan86; April 7 2013 at 01:03 AM.
Old April 7 2013, 12:44 AM   #233
randomfan86
Lieutenant

junxon wrote: View Post
yeah.. logic and human decency don't count for much in the mind of someone that idolises dick cheney
I do not "idolize" Dick Cheney. Everyone has their bad decisions and my last paragraph warning about the dangers of not using torture in a correct way could be interpreted as an implicit criticism of him.

During 9/11, two planes had crashed into the WTC, and one into the Pentagon. There was a fourth plane that was still in play headed toward Washington. Bush was out of the picture and Cheney was the one running things from his undisclosed location. There was a question floating around the room as to what to do about the 4th plane, a situation like this had never occurred. When it got to Cheney, he unequivocally and without hesitation announced that we were going to shoot it down. The other people in the room were amazed at his certainty. The plane went onto crash on its own due to the brave men and women of Flight 93 before the decision could be carried out.

Cain: "You showed me that you are capable of setting aside your fear, of setting aside your hesitation and even your revulsion -- every natural inhibition that during battle can be the difference between life and death. When you can do this for as long as you have to, then you're a Razor"

From his decision on 9/11 to his decision to use torture, I would say Cheney fits the criteria.

Last edited by randomfan86; April 7 2013 at 02:30 AM.
Old April 7 2013, 02:12 AM   #234
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

Samuel Walters wrote: View Post

Shameful.

To call the post what you did is gratuitous. I merely added what I felt were appropriate descriptions of how the CIA actually carried out the program, contrary to what is being portrayed in Zero Dark Thirty and other media. Being "systematic and clinical" in one's approach can be the difference between success and failure in many endeavors.

Being sufficiently "systematic and clinical" in one's procedure can be the difference between success and failure of a drug during clinical trials. In fact, sometimes a drug is rejected based on the trial being insufficiently systematic and clinical, leading to poor results. Once the procedure is corrected by the investigators, and the trial redone, the drug is approved and can go on to save lives. The drug isn't the variable that has changed.

I should also note that the EIT/torture program run by the CIA has saved lives and led to the name of bin Ladin's courier. This is acknowledged by national security officials of both major parties.
The only thing amiss with my post is that I should have added "delusional" to the description of yours.
Old April 7 2013, 02:17 AM   #235
randomfan86
Lieutenant

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Okay while I admit that this might not be true, but wasn't the torture stuff something the film made up, becuase I remember an article mentioning inaccuracies in films based on real event mentioning that.
As I've said in my other posts, the torture was definitely dramatized. In real life it was much more systematic and clinical. However, the name of bin Ladin's courier did result from someone who was tortured in real life as well as in the movie so that part is accurate.
Old April 7 2013, 02:33 AM   #236
Neroon
Mod of balance

Tensions are higher than a summer in Mordor. How about if I close the thread for awhile, and we return to the discussion regarding Cain at a later time? After tempers have calmed and the political nature has been diluted - not to mention the interpersonal sniping - then I can re-open it.

ETA: After considering the circumstances of the thread and the others it has inspire, I've decided to leave this thread closed. If there is any sincere desire to pursue discussion about Admiral Cain, feel free to start a new thread with aim towards avoiding the pitfalls of this one.
- Proverbs 12:20

Last edited by Neroon; April 7 2013 at 11:10 PM.