Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old March 31 2013, 06:22 PM   #16
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: How come the TNG cast is the closest of all show casts?

I think it just comes down to the personalities of the actors. By all accounts, Frakes was a huge cut-up on the TNG set, and Spiner was of course a natural and gifted comedian. Then you add in Sirtis's sarcasm and Dorn's inability to keep a straight face, and that's probably enough to get everybody going.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 06:24 PM   #17
John Sheppard
Ensign

Dream wrote: View Post
The VOY and ENT casts also talked shit about their writers. That had to be a BAD working environment. They should have been happy they had jobs in the first place.
I think for some people it goes to their head a little and they get a bit too entitled, and don't appreciate it as much. I'm not saying this how everyone is, but there are probably one or two who are like that.
John Sheppard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 09:59 PM   #18
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

^ With the few actors that I met in my life, it's more than just a jobs for money, they regard what they're doing as an art form, and themselves as artists.

Consider Denise Crosby, she likely knew that leaving TNG would result in long stretches of unemployment, but it wasn't enough for her to simply stand in the back of the set and deliver a handful of lines per episode. She wanted an opportunity to work her craft, not just show upk for a paycheck.

She only came back to the show on those occasions where her characters were given something meaty to do. If her character on Yesterday's Enterprise was to have the typical size role she had before, it's unlikely she would have taken the role.

Leonard Nimoy agreed to do TWOK because it included a juicy death scene, if all he wanted was a paycheck to play Spock again, the script largely wouldn't have mattered.

That some of the cast of Voyager bitched about the writers, especially after it turned into the Kate, Seven and Doctor show is completely understandable. There only so much you can do as an actor in a scene if you're not given lines.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 07:51 PM   #19
Gaith
Rear Admiral

^ Especially if you're a hero to fans at cons who often hold you personally accountable to writers' decisions beyond your control.

Also, good luck being any kind of actor and not identifying to some degree with your character. And when the character's being written with you in mind, reacting both to your performance and to the reactions of others to the same... well, if you're given crap day after day, it'd be hard not to take it personally. Feeling insulted and unappreciated would be a totally natural response.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 11:03 PM   #20
Salinga
Captain

Gaith wrote: View Post
^ Especially if you're a hero to fans at cons who often hold you personally accountable to writers' decisions beyond your control.
Wil Wheaton is a good example. He was punished by the fans for the crappy writing of his character.
Salinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 11:35 PM   #21
Dream
Admiral

Salinga wrote: View Post
Wil Wheaton is a good example. He was punished by the fans for the crappy writing of his character.
How exactly was he "punished" by fans?
Old April 7 2013, 06:51 PM   #22
Jonesy
Commodore

T'Girl wrote: View Post
She only came back to the show on those occasions where her characters were given something meaty to do.
Mmmm... I would argue that she jumped ship on the show too early (and she took a shot at a film career.) When that failed, TNG was becoming a fairly big success, and I think she tried to jump back onto the "gravy train". I often think that she realized she made a big mistake.
Old April 7 2013, 06:53 PM   #23
Jonesy
Commodore

Conventions, etc. Wil's books go into detail about this. Fans of the show did often take their frustrations on the character out on him, personally.
Old April 7 2013, 06:56 PM   #24
Jonesy
Commodore

LobsterAfternoon wrote: View Post
It doesn't really matter if the casts are buddy buddy are not. Is it a nice bonus as a fan to know that they get along? Sure. But they're actors, as long as they act like they are supposed to, I don't really care.
Professional actors are required to do just that - be professional. It doesn't matter how well they gel personally, because the only thing that we see is what is filmed and edited, and that being what is scripted and shot.
Old April 13 2013, 05:54 AM   #25
SpHeRe31459
Captain

While the TNG cast does seem especially close, the Voyager men get together on a regular basis and catch up over dinner. https://twitter.com/RobertPicardo/st...10426548469760
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 06:27 PM   #26
Gaith
Rear Admiral

^ Oh, dear... Some pictures should, perhaps, not be put online...
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 07:00 PM   #27
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I can't say I much cared for the concept of the Wesley character, but that's not Wheaton's fault.
Old April 15 2013, 01:55 PM   #28
timtonruben359
Lieutenant

At the TNG reunion in Toronto, Michael Dorn was asked why he thought the TNG cast was so close but the other casts weren't. He had an interesting answer saying that when TNG started, with the exception of Patrick Stewart, they were all around the same age, they were all single and none of them had children. So they all were sort of at the same stage in life, and for most of them this was their first real break. So it may have been more of the commonalities that brought them together.

The DS9 cast was a mix of ages, most were married with children and most had careers that stretched back a little so the attitude on set was more of lets get this done and get home.

As for Voyager, I think they all got along well enough until Jennifer Lien was let go and they brought in Jeri Ryan. Kate imploded and was furious about it for the rest of the shows run. The rest of the cast, particularly Robert Beltran, got bitter at their lack of screen time or character development.
timtonruben359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2013, 04:04 PM   #29
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Well if anyone could credibly compare how one cast got along compared to the other, it'd be Dorn being he was in too. Well Meany sort of but he -was- an extra in TNG.
Old April 17 2013, 02:26 AM   #30
EnsignRedshirt
Lieutenant

John Sheppard wrote: View Post
The VOY and ENT casts also talked shit about their writers. That had to be a BAD working environment. They should have been happy they had jobs in the first place.
I think for some people it goes to their head a little and they get a bit too entitled, and don't appreciate it as much. I'm not saying this how everyone is, but there are probably one or two who are like that.
I can understand that, for an actor, to be saddled with what you find is bad writing and bad characterization must be incredibly frustrating, especially if you're under contract.

Yeah, it's an amazing opportunity to have a Star Trek gig, but if your character constantly gets sidelined or only given a few throwaway lines every episode, I can understand where bitterness would take route.

Not that it is any better to become a prat about it and whine at every opportunity, but sometimes "just being grateful you have a job" doesn't really cover it.
EnsignRedshirt is offline   Reply With Quote