Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old April 6 2013, 05:58 AM   #46
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile
Re: Eccleston turned down chance to be in 50th Anniversary story

Heh. They should throw the eighth Doctor in there with the running gag that no one in the special knows who the hell he is.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 06:12 AM   #47
The Lensman
Fleet Captain

Kelso wrote: View Post
Heh. They should throw the eighth Doctor in there with the running gag that no one in the special knows who the hell he is.
11: Who're you?
8: I'm the Doctor
11: (gives quizzical look) Future incarnation?
8: Eighth
11: Really. Well...I don't really remember...you.
8: (looks at 10)
10: I'm sorry..so sorry..but I don't remember you either.

Of course given the way this gag has been going, it'd go like this:

11: Who're you?
8: I'm the Doctor
11: Doctor Who? (looks upwards, eyes moving in all directions and smiling) So that's what that feels like. Oh, this is Christmas!
Old April 6 2013, 08:04 AM   #48
Australis
Writer

Has CE never thought that if he did the damn thing, people would stop hassling him and have some closure? Seems simple to me.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 10:14 AM   #49
chardman
Vice Admiral

View chardman's Twitter Profile

Photoman15 wrote: View Post
JoeZhang wrote: View Post
DalekJim wrote: View Post

Eccleston was a celebrity and successful film/TV actor well before Doctor Who. See Shallow Grave, 28 Days Later, Second Coming. Probably the most famous a Doctor Who actor has been before taking the role.

I've always respected Eccleston for not playing the fame game. He isn't a media whore like John Barrowman and does have principles.
Yeah - Photoman has it back to front, Eccleston was cast *because* he was a well established well respected actor and they wanted to show how seriously they were taking the revamp:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/3552087.stm

In the UK. If not for DW, the US would not know who he was (except as bit parts in movies, possibly). Probably for the rest of the world too.
Utter horseshit. Just because you weren't sufficiently observant to know who he was prior to DW, don't assume the rest of us were just as unaware.

I'm American, live in the Midwest, and I was well aware of who Christopher Eccleston was, starting roughly 10 years prior to his stint as the Doctor, from his appearance in Danny Boyle's "Shallow Grave" (where he was one of the leads), his role as one of the leads (DCI Bilborough) in series 1 of the popular Robbie Coltrane series "Cracker", and later as the main baddy in "Gone in 60 Seconds". All major parts BTW and not a "bit part" in the bunch.

Truth be told, I was NOT much of a classic Who fan, and tuned in to watch the 2005 revival when it premiered on SciFi (now SyFy) based almost entirely on the fact that Eccleston was starring in it.

Last edited by chardman; April 6 2013 at 10:46 AM.
chardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 12:39 PM   #50
Pingfah
Admiral

Yeah, I particularly remember his turn in Gone in 60 Seconds, because he was absolutely awful in it. Totally unconvincing nutter. Possibly the material though.

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Pingfah wrote: View Post
He doesn't owe his fans a damn thing.
Are you daring me to kidnap that sob?
I feel like I should say no, just in case.
Old April 6 2013, 06:44 PM   #51
TiberiusMaximus
Fleet Captain

Location: A ship, a living ship, full of strange alien lifeforms.

Selfish? Really? Don't be stupid. As much as I would love to see 9 again, Eccleston has every right to turn down or accept whatever job he does or doesn't want. He doesn't want to be in Doctor Who. So? It's his call.

The fans who expect him to base his career choices on what they want are the selfish people in this equation.
Exactly.
"Quite possibly, the five Jem'Hadar could turn Data into a collection of four spasming limbs, one helpless torso, and one head that shouts insults at them like the Black Knight from the Monty Python sketch." -Timo Saloniemi
TiberiusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 07:11 PM   #52
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Australis wrote: View Post
Has CE never thought that if he did the damn thing, people would stop hassling him and have some closure? Seems simple to me.
Did he rape their dog or something? Closure?
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 07:25 PM   #53
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Whatever does he need closure for? He doesn't need to do anything to feel better about his work on the show or validate himself.

As for fans and their needs, that should be pretty far down on Eccleston's list of priorities.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 09:43 PM   #54
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

Sorry, I disagree with that. Any actor will tell you it's the fans that made them. Now I'm not saying an actor should make his decisions on Fan Rule, but they should take them into account. Supposedly, CE had a problem with PRODUCTION PEOPLE on DW. They are all gone now, so that shouldn't hold him back. He liked Moffats' episode(s), so that shouldn't be a problem. What is the problem? Was SMs story that CE read no good? Did it hurt "the character"?

So yeah, actors owe their careers to the fans. Unless this 50th story was so distasteful and the people he would have to work with are a-holes (for him), his decisions sucks.

Again, yes, actors do owe it to the fans. That's why they're there. And that's why they become big, -- or don't.

P.S. This doesn't mean I have any problem with CE, just his decisions concerning DW. Really, get over yourself.
Old April 7 2013, 02:33 AM   #55
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Closure? How much more closure does he have to do? He did a regeneration scene.

Sorry, I disagree with that. Any actor will tell you it's the fans that made them. Now I'm not saying an actor should make his decisions on Fan Rule, but they should take them into account.
He may have. He did do two meetings. Just because he didn't decide to do it, doesn't mean he took them into account.

Supposedly, CE had a problem with PRODUCTION PEOPLE on DW. They are all gone now, so that shouldn't hold him back. He liked Moffats' episode(s), so that shouldn't be a problem. What is the problem? Was SMs story that CE read no good? Did it hurt "the character"?
Time and again, Eccleston has said he doesn't like to "swim in the same stream twice."

Do you just not respect his decision because you don't like it?

So yeah, actors owe their careers to the fans. Unless this 50th story was so distasteful and the people he would have to work with are a-holes (for him), his decisions sucks.
Ah. So, yeah. You don't respect his decision because you don't like it.

Well, tough. It's not your career. It's not your work ethic. It's his. And he seems to be doing very well with it, thankyouverymuch.

Again, yes, actors do owe it to the fans. That's why they're there. And that's why they become big, -- or don't.
No. Actors don't owe anything to the fans. The fans paid for a product. He was paid to do it. He's very nice to the fans by all accounts. He just doesn't want to return to a role.

And, again, he's doesn't CARE about becoming big. Why do you keep bringing it up?

P.S. This doesn't mean I have any problem with CE, just his decisions concerning DW. Really, get over yourself.
Um, no. I quite like myself. Why don't you get over Eccleston's decision?
Old April 7 2013, 03:03 AM   #56
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Time and again, Eccleston has said he doesn't like to "swim in the same stream twice."
So why does he keep saying that? He should do Doctor Who just because he always says he won't!
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 04:54 AM   #57
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

This doesn't mean I have any problem with CE, just his decisions concerning DW. Really, get over yourself.
With all due respect, it sounds as though you really do have a problem with Eccleston.

Let me put it this way. He got "over himself" by taking a meeting with Moffat. He didn't have to do that. He had made it abundantly clear that he wasn't going to return. Yet, when he was approached, he listened to whar Moffat had to say, he considered it, and he passed. If he really thought of himself as bigger than the show with an ego of Shatnerian proportions, he wouldn't have done Moffat the courtesy; he'd have been content to simply stand on what he said in the past.

Here's the thing. Maybe he'll have a change of heart in 2015 when the series celebrates the tenth anniversary of "Rose." And maybe he'll have that change of heart because he sees what a modern-day multi-Doctor celebration can be. But if there's nothing but fan whingeing between now and 2015, then I hope Eccleston stays away. Honestly and truly.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 05:06 AM   #58
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

The idea that actors "owe" fans something is why many stay away from fandom. It's absurd that Eccleston owes anyone a damn thing. He could've quit in the middle of the season but he did a whole season and a regeneration scene.
Old April 7 2013, 06:16 AM   #59
Aldo
Admiral

If he didn't film the regeneration scene would they have filmed Tennant from behind with an Eccleston wig

I'm not going to try and take sides on this current argument that's going on. I do, however, want to express my disappointment that he will not be a part of it. Not only because I wanted to see his Doctor again, but because this is probably the only chance we would have had, to ever see his Doctor onscreen again.
Old April 7 2013, 08:45 AM   #60
Australis
Writer

When I said closure, I meant for fans. Yes, there was a regen scene, but with a 50th anniversary, if he'd done it, '3 Drs'/'5 Drs' style, people would just shut up, I'm pretty certain of that.

That said, once the 50th is passed, he probably won't be asked again.

An actor does owe something to the fans, but by the same token, they can set their own course, with all the rewards and risks of that. I'm a little disappointed CE didn't want to come back, but that's fine and I wish him well.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote