Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Favourite Doctor?
1st Doctor-William Hartnel 2 2.02%
2nd Doctor-Patrick Troughton. 13 13.13%
3rd Doctor-Jon Pertwee 5 5.05%
4th Doctor-Tom Baker 21 21.21%
5th Doctor-Peter Davidson 2 2.02%
6th Doctor-Collin Baker 7 7.07%
7th Doctor-Sylvester McCoy 6 6.06%
8th Doctor-Paul McGann 2 2.02%
9th Doctor-Christopher Eccleston 8 8.08%
10th Doctor-David Tennant 21 21.21%
11th Doctor-Matt Smith 12 12.12%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 6 2013, 06:05 PM   #76
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Re: Favourite Doctor?

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
DalekJim wrote: View Post
I'd say JNT's penchant for light entertainment vanished when Season 24 ended. 25 and 26 are a bold new direction.

Wossname in Silver Nemesis (the American woman in the car), and Hale & Pace in Survival say otherwise...
Those are just celebrities playing roles, there's not much attention drawn to them in the story and Survival is about as far away from light-entertainment as Doctor Who gets due to it being a dark philosophical nightmare.. It's less media obsessed than having a story about Big Brother and What Not To Wear, or stopping a story to look at a Shane Ward poster. Nor as irritating and pointless as a McFly cameo, Hale and Pace did good in their short, memorable scene.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 08:57 PM   #77
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Right now It looks like Tennant is way more popular than Smith. Looks like he'll catch up with Baker soon?
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 09:08 PM   #78
Aldo
Admiral

Out of the three from the new series, I would say Tennant is my favorite. But like I said before, encompassing all eleven Doctors, Paul McGann is my favorite, and I see I'm still the only one that picked that option...which I am fine with
Old April 6 2013, 09:11 PM   #79
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

The TV Movie is what got me in to Doctor Who! First episode I ever watched, back in 1996. Loved McGann's performance and the liquid snake Master.

Chimes of Midnight is my favourite McGann adventure, though my favourite Eighth Doctor story would likely be a novel. Perhaps Interference.
Old April 6 2013, 09:18 PM   #80
Aldo
Admiral

I love the tv-movie because for something that is chastised for being too American (which in part it is) it's incredibly respectful of the show and it's canon, and I was surprised at how easily the movie actually fits into the continuity of the show. It also has my favorite TARDIS console room.

If McGann were to return for the fiftieth, I wouldn't be adverse to his console room returning too.
Old April 6 2013, 09:23 PM   #81
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I like the amount of continuity it keeps. It could easily have been some disrespectful JJ Abrams-esque reboot but they kept everything! They started with McCoy eating jelly babies, and we even had The Master's cheetah eyes from Survival.

It actually did well in the ratings here in the UK so it's a shame we never got a McGann series.
Old April 6 2013, 09:31 PM   #82
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Chimes of Midnight is my favourite McGann adventure, though my favourite Eighth Doctor story would likely be a novel. Perhaps Interference.
Read The Adventuress of Henrietta Street.

That goes for all of you.
Old April 6 2013, 11:08 PM   #83
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Aldo wrote: View Post
Out of the three from the new series, I would say Tennant is my favorite. But like I said before, encompassing all eleven Doctors, Paul McGann is my favorite, and I see I'm still the only one that picked that option...which I am fine with
For the record, McGann's my second favourite. He's very close behind my favourite, Tennant. The problem is he only appeared in one adventure (I don't read any of the novels, comics, or listen to any of the audio mind you. I have I feeling I'd love a lot of his audios. I'm surprised they've not made a time war audio yet, and I'm surprised no fan have taken audios and made animations for it.). If he appeared in a few more, he may have taken my top spot.
I love the tv-movie because for something that is chastised for being too American (which in part it is) it's incredibly respectful of the show and it's canon, and I was surprised at how easily the movie actually fits into the continuity of the show. It also has my favorite TARDIS console room.

If McGann were to return for the fiftieth, I wouldn't be adverse to his console room returning too.
Yeah, oh my god I love the McGann console! It's definitely my favourite. Wonderful steampunk feel to it.

I love the classic white one too, but McGann's just tops it. I don't like the Eccleston/Tennant tardis at all, to organic, and Smith's first tardis was the worst. Just a mirror copy of the E/D one. I don't mind the new tardis though. Mind you, I don't like the fact some of it's CGI. It sort of takes some of the magic out of it. Plus it's too shadowy in the new one.

I'd love the McGann tardis to return. Really, I'd like them to permanently switch to that one or one similar.

I do wish McGann had appeared in some more movies, however it may have been a blessing is disguise that the series was not picked up as they had some horrible ideas for it, they would have retconned it a lot, with remakes of old episodes, and the awful pirate redesign of the cybermen and the stupid name "cybs". Na, I'd have liked a few films or specials which were faithful to the canon.

What does everyone think of McGann's redesigned costume?
Old April 6 2013, 11:11 PM   #84
lennier1
Commodore

McGann is one of the best incarnations, but only if you include the audio adventures. The movie's story was so mediocre that it's barely worth a footnote.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 11:23 PM   #85
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Oh I love the movie. In my top five doctor who's ever.

As for McGann audios, what would everyone recommend listening to first?

I'm thinking of checking a few out to see if it's as good as everyone makes out.
Old April 6 2013, 11:34 PM   #86
Aldo
Admiral

[QUOTE=Green Lantern;7907419]

I do wish McGann had appeared in some more movies, however it may have been a blessing is disguise that the series was not picked up as they had some horrible ideas for it, they would have retconned it a lot, with remakes of old episodes, and the awful pirate redesign of the cybermen and the stupid name "cybs". Na, I'd have liked a few films or specials which were faithful to the canon.
I agree too. The very fact that the tv-movie is the only adventure we have with the 8th Doctor is what makes it so easy to include him in the overall continuity. Had they gone off and made more telemovies with him...or even went to series, it may have been a whole other beast indeed. What we got is the best possible outcome considering the circumstances.

What does everyone think of McGann's redesigned costume?
I'm not really a fan of it. Probably because I really love his outfit from the movie. I know within the context of the story it's supposed to be a cowboy outfit, but I always felt it had a nice Victorian feel to it. Especially when coupled with the TARDIS console room.
Old April 6 2013, 11:42 PM   #87
lennier1
Commodore

Green Lantern wrote: View Post

I'm thinking of checking a few out to see if it's as good as everyone makes out.
Some of my favorites would be
2.1 Dead London
2.3 Brave New Town
2.5 Grand Theft Cosmos
2.7/2.8 Sisters of the Flame / Vengeance of Morbius (a two-parter including Alexander Siddig)
4.03 Nevermore (Doctor Who's take on the Edgar Allen Poe poem)
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
Old April 6 2013, 11:43 PM   #88
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Indeed. But at the end of the day, it's a choice between more time with McGann or the canon. I choose the canon, although I'd sacrifice a lot of good episodes to see more McGann.

I love both myself. Yeah, I think McGann's costume was perfect with his tardis. It was like a young version of Hartnel's outfit, and suited McGann so well. However, his new one looks good on him too, and with McGann's slight sign of aging, it works better with him now. Plus it's more practical, so for things like the time war, it'd be ideal. However, if Mcgann returned for the 50th, I'd rather he be in his original outfit, maybe without the wig though. Maybe a hybrid.

In my own little canon in my head, McGann wore the Victorian outfit for the majority of his time, he adopted his new outfit near before the time war.

Man I'd love to make a fan fiction about McGann and the time war. I'd make it a series.
Old April 6 2013, 11:46 PM   #89
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

lennier1 wrote: View Post
Green Lantern wrote: View Post

Some of my favorites would be
2.1 Dead London
2.3 Brave New Town
2.5 Grand Theft Cosmos
2.7/2.8 Sisters of the Flame / Vengeance of Morbius (a two-parter including Alexander Siddig)
4.03 Nevermore (Doctor Who's take on the Edgar Allen Poe poem)
Ah, thanks for the advice. I fancy blood of the daleks. I've always favoured adventures with recurring villains, so I think that'd be the best place to start. But thanks for the suggestions, I'll remember to check them out.

Are these available on You Tube, or would I have to buy them?
Old April 6 2013, 11:53 PM   #90
lennier1
Commodore

Don't know about any streams. The audio books are about ten bucks per adventure as a download or thirteen bucks on physical media with bonus material. IMHO that's a fair price. Don't forget that these don't make a lot of profit. They're more of a gift to the fandom that just happens to manage to cover the production costs.