Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Grade "The Rings of Akhaten"
Geronimo! 15 11.72%
Good 50 39.06%
Average 36 28.13%
Bad 18 14.06%
Terrible 9 7.03%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 6 2013, 06:16 PM   #1
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

7X07 The Rings of Akhenaten (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Clara wants to see something awesome, so the Doctor whisks her off to the inhabited rings of the planet Akhenaten , where the Festival of Offerings is in full swing. Clara meets the young Queen of Years as the pilgrims and natives ready for the ceremony. But something is stirring in the pyramid, and a sacrifice will be demanded
From the trailers it looks like a mix of "The End Of The World" and "Impossible Planet"
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 07:24 PM   #2
Timofnine

Re: 7X07 The Rings of Akhenaten (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Now that one was a bit different.... lol. I enjoyed it though
Old April 6 2013, 07:30 PM   #3
Pindar
Rear Admiral

View Pindar's Twitter Profile

It looks like they spent a fortune on that episode. The aliens were pretty well realised and there were a lot of them.

It had a lot of interesting ideas, even if the weren't wholly successful. I can see this dividing opinion, I give them full marks for trying something different but take one back for the resolution.

Good stuff with him sneaking back in time to check out Clara's past to try and figure her out and her starting to twig to it.
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 07:39 PM   #4
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I don't think there was enough story there and the concept was underdeveloped. Not big on it sadly.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 07:41 PM   #5
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman

View George Bailey's Twitter Profile

Pindar wrote: View Post
It looks like they spent a fortune on that episode. The aliens were pretty well realised and there were a lot of them.

It had a lot of interesting ideas, even if the weren't wholly successful. I can see this dividing opinion, I give them full marks for trying something different but take one back for the resolution.

Good stuff with him sneaking back in time to check out Clara's past to try and figure her out and her starting to twig to it.
Really? I thought it looked like they'd badly stretched the budget, none of the aliens even had faces that moved. The sets really limited. There were some interesting stuff that didn't really seem to hit properly. And to be honest the whole thing with Clara is grating. What is it with Moffat and the obsession that the companion has to be special, and the Doctor will have known/seen them through various parts of their life? Amy, River (in a round about sort of way), Reinette, now Clara, it's annoying.

Personally I would say so far I'm enjoying it more than last series but there are some things that really are bugging me.
You sit around here and you spin your little webs and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money. Well, it doesn't, Mr. Potter. In the whole vast configuration of things, I'd say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider!
George Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 07:47 PM   #6
Pindar
Rear Admiral

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
Really? I thought it looked like they'd badly stretched the budget, none of the aliens even had faces that moved. The sets really limited. There were some interesting stuff that didn't really seem to hit properly. And to be honest the whole thing with Clara is grating. What is it with Moffat and the obsession that the companion has to be special, and the Doctor will have known/seen them through various parts of their life? Amy, River (in a round about sort of way), Reinette, now Clara, it's annoying.
The sets were limited and the space scooter was made of wood, but then so is the TARDIS.

He's the doctor he can be choosy about his companions.
Old April 6 2013, 07:52 PM   #7
The Badger
Fleet Captain

An enjoyable enough episode, but for me it didn't quite gel. Partly this was due to the incidental music making the dialogue indistinct. The scene where the Doctor tells Merry about her uniqueness was particularly guilty of this, with overly dramatic music almost drowning out his words. Something softer, more gentle, would have suited the mood of the speech better, too.

Or maybe I'm just getting old and need my ears syringed.
The Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 07:54 PM   #8
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

No, Murray Gold just really is that shit.
Old April 6 2013, 07:56 PM   #9
Pindar
Rear Admiral

I don't usually find the dialogue hard to make out but the music really was too loud this week.
Old April 6 2013, 08:05 PM   #10
Jax
Admiral

I don't usually find the dialogue hard to make out but the music really was too loud this week.
Old men the lot of you

Average episode but not the weakest episode of season 7 (that was Power of Three). Nice concept with some charming moments but it never got out of 2nd gear, though I loved Clara again
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 08:08 PM   #11
MickJo1701
Commander

Found myself staring at the clock wishing this episode would end so I could see the trail for next weeks one, not impressed at all.
MickJo1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 08:09 PM   #12
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Jax wrote: View Post
Old men the lot of you
I'm only 24 and I thought it drowned a lot of lines out.

Love Clara though
This is the correct opinion .
Old April 6 2013, 08:12 PM   #13
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman

View George Bailey's Twitter Profile

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
The sets were limited and the space scooter was made of wood, but then so is the TARDIS.

He's the doctor he can be choosy about his companions.
He can be choosy but I mean Amy "the girl who waited" and was special because there was this big mystery round her with the crack and the missing people and all that.
River, all the backwards timey wimey stuff.
Reinette, she manages to read his mind and know all about him, no one has ever done that.
Now Clara who is "impossible." It's all well them being special because they have characteristics that the Doctor likes or are clever or whatever but these big impossible, unique, specialness just seems needless and pointless.
You sit around here and you spin your little webs and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money. Well, it doesn't, Mr. Potter. In the whole vast configuration of things, I'd say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider!
George Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 08:13 PM   #14
Pindar
Rear Admiral

Old? Definitely getting there, 43 I think, it gets hard to remember.
Old April 6 2013, 08:50 PM   #15
TommyR01D
Lieutenant

This was a catastrophically terrible episode! Perhaps not a Threshold level of actively trying to hurt the viewer, but it fell completely flat on every level, and I will probably forget it by next week.

One comment said it was like "...a poor man's The Beast Below", and that was hardly a high benchmark to start with. Yes, it had some amazing singing and atmospheric flair, but we never actually learned what any of it was about. There was very little attempt to explain the back-story of the aliens, so you couldn't really understand what was going on. The plot was incredibly weak and it's only a matter of time before someone pathetically tries to pass it off using the "art" excuse.

It was kind of like Star Trek 1: The Motionless Picture, except all tinted red instead of blue.
TommyR01D is offline   Reply With Quote