RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,774
Posts: 5,216,917
Members: 24,218
Currently online: 712
Newest member: momogila

TrekToday headlines

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 6 2013, 12:03 PM   #1
Mage
Fleet Captain
 
Mage's Avatar
 
Thank you to the writers!!

You guys sometimes have to take quite some lip from us, the readers, about your work. But at the end of the day, it's you guys who supply us with new stories in the fantastic universe of Star Trek on a montly base.

So for that, I say thank you, and may you all write more great stories to keep us entertained!
__________________
Niner. Lurker. Browncoat.
Mage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 02:34 PM   #2
ryan123450
Commodore
 
ryan123450's Avatar
 
Location: Woodward, OK
View ryan123450's Twitter Profile
Re: Thank you to the writers!!

I want to agree with all those comments and say thanks for those of you who participate on the board. It's amazing to have one one one interaction with you guys.
__________________

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 04:03 PM   #3
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: Thank you to the writers!!

You're welcome! And thanks to my fellow writers, past and present, for giving me many hours of enjoyment as well.

James Swallow's CAST NO SHADOW got me through some long, difficult hours last week while my dog was in surgery. (She's home and recovering nicely, btw.) Gave me something else to focus on while sitting around the doggie waiting room!

And I still remember how Barbara Hambly once got me through a packed, standing-room-only train ride from New York to Baltimore . . .
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 04:23 PM   #4
Smitty
Lieutenant Commander
 
Smitty's Avatar
 
Location: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX
Re: Thank you to the writers!!

Yes, thanks you guys. It really is a treat to be able to talk with you and listen to you banter with others. Whether everyone likes a particular story of yours or not we do appreciate the effort that you are fans yourselves of the universe we all love. Thanks!
__________________
Please, Captain, not in front of the Klingons. -Spock to Kirk
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 04:32 PM   #5
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: Thank you to the writers!!

I know I was very much inspired by the Trek writers who came before me. In fact, two of my old creative-writing teachers were Vonda McIntyre and Norman Spinrad . . . as well as David Hartwell, who was the original editor of Pocket's STAR TREK line.

David was actually the person who convinced me to move to NYC and take a chance on a publishing career. (I was working as a phlebotomist in Seattle at that time.)
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 04:45 PM   #6
xortex
Commodore
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
Re: Thank you to the writers!!

While I am adverse to guns propegating craziness with blanks, I am happy to see some new names on the list, one of which seems like he even wrote a Star Trek sounding story. And Greg, you're new one, 'The Weight of Wolds' sounds good and I'm going to buy it as well as anything by James Swallow and Barbera Hambly who are all excellent too. I haven't even read 'Intellevore' yet. Now that sounds like a solid story. Diane Duane has always been consistantly great. She should have been hired on the writing staff instead of the Reeves-Stevens team, not to say that they're not great also and I have yet to read their stuff too especially the Shatnerverse, which looks very interesting and 'Federation which seems awesome, but I didn't care for the R-S team's episodes of Enterprise except for their idea that thay had planned for the Borg queen as a starfleet officer lab tech or something before she was assimilated. Why can't that be a novel? But 'Intellivore' is first up when I learn how to read, er have time and money for it.
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 05:06 PM   #7
Thrawn
Rear Admiral
 
Thrawn's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, DC
Re: Thank you to the writers!!

xortex wrote: View Post
...their idea that thay had planned for the Borg queen as a starfleet officer lab tech or something before she was assimilated. Why can't that be a novel?
Uhhh... if you haven't read the Destiny trilogy, you might want to...
__________________
The Almighty Star Trek Lit-Verse Reading Order Flowchart - be confused no longer about what to read next, or what to read first.
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 05:26 PM   #8
Relayer1
Commodore
 
Relayer1's Avatar
 
Location: The Black Country, England
Re: Thank you to the writers!!

xortex wrote: View Post
I didn't care for the R-S team's episodes of Enterprise
And they're pretty much the only ones I like...horses for courses I suppose !

Smitty wrote: View Post
Yes, thanks you guys. It really is a treat to be able to talk with you and listen to you banter with others. Whether everyone likes a particular story of yours or not we do appreciate the effort that you are fans yourselves of the universe we all love. Thanks!
Seconded.
__________________
Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...
Relayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 05:49 PM   #9
xortex
Commodore
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
Re: Thank you to the writers!!

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I know I was very much inspired by the Trek writers who came before me. In fact, two of my old creative-writing teachers were Vonda McIntyre and Norman Spinrad . . . as well as David Hartwell, who was the original editor of Pocket's STAR TREK line.

David was actually the person who convinced me to move to NYC and take a chance on a publishing career. (I was working as a phlebotomist in Seattle at that time.)

Hartwell went on to edit the space opera compilation, right? so he obviously knew something about and loved space opera and still does. Is Spinrad still alive and writing. I'm a musician, dammit, not a phlebotamist. What the hell is a phlebotamist?
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 06:05 PM   #10
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: Thank you to the writers!!

xortex wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I know I was very much inspired by the Trek writers who came before me. In fact, two of my old creative-writing teachers were Vonda McIntyre and Norman Spinrad . . . as well as David Hartwell, who was the original editor of Pocket's STAR TREK line.

David was actually the person who convinced me to move to NYC and take a chance on a publishing career. (I was working as a phlebotomist in Seattle at that time.)

Hartwell went on to edit the space opera compilation, right? so he obviously knew something about and loved space opera and still does. Is Spinrad still alive and writing. I'm a musician, dammit, not a phlebotamist. What the hell is a phlebotamist?

Hartwell is now an editor at Tor Books and has also edited numerous sf anthologies. Spinrad is still alive and writing and occasionally living in France. He recently posted a YouTube video in which he reminiscences about his experiences writing "The Doomsday Machine."

A phlebotomist is a professional vampire. I used to drain blood from winos at a skid row plasma collection center.
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 06:06 PM   #11
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: Thank you to the writers!!

Mage wrote: View Post
You guys sometimes have to take quite some lip from us, the readers, about your work. But at the end of the day, it's you guys who supply us with new stories in the fantastic universe of Star Trek on a montly base.

So for that, I say thank you, and may you all write more great stories to keep us entertained!
This
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 06:11 PM   #12
Relayer1
Commodore
 
Relayer1's Avatar
 
Location: The Black Country, England
Re: Thank you to the writers!!

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I used to drain blood from winos at a skid row plasma collection center.
A similar process to extracting novels from authors then...
__________________
Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...
Relayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 06:15 PM   #13
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: Thank you to the writers!!

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I used to drain blood from winos at a skid row plasma collection center.
A similar process to extracting novels from authors then...
And good training for writing Underworld novels . . . .
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 06:49 AM   #14
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: Thank you to the writers!!

I just want to pop in with another thank you too the authors. You're books have helped me get through some really tough times. I think it's great that you guys hang out on here and interact so much with us readers. Despite what some people seem to think it's not a requirement for writing Trek books, and it really is appreciated that you guys do it.
__________________
Over the course of many encounters and many years, I have successfully developed a standard operating procedure for dealing with big, nasty monsters. Run away. Me and Monty Python.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 07:14 AM   #15
DonIago
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Burlington, VT, USA
View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago
Re: Thank you to the writers!!

Ditto the authors being awesome and such.
__________________
--DonIago
It was the best of Trek, it was the worst of Trek...
"If I lean over, I leave myself open to wedgies, wet willies, or even the dreaded Rear Admiral!"
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.