Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed

Trek Big Bang Figures

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old March 11 2013, 10:56 PM   #2026
Mott the barber
Commodore

Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Doug Otte wrote: View Post
Mott the barber wrote: View Post
Anyone remember the episode with the 10-Forward "at-warp" pan? Almost positive it's S2 since that's what I've been watching lately.
Is it from The Child?

Might very well be, I just don't have access to the screen shots at the moment.

Edit: Just looked through the screencaps from Trekcore. It's not from "The Child"...

Hmm.
Old March 11 2013, 11:56 PM   #2027
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Another minor cropping issue in Contagion:

http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/2x...ion_hd_266.jpg

I get the feeling the remaster would have gone a lot smoother if they had stuck to the 1440x1080 resolution. Widening the shots added too many effects problems. Perhaps the issues with the misaligning light passes might have worked itself out too.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 04:22 AM   #2028
RAMA
Vice Admiral

RAMA wrote: View Post
FrontierTrek wrote: View Post
We're trying to spread out the screencaps a bit because of the big gap between Seasons 2 and 3, but as it's a topic of conversation here are the advanced caps from the shot you mentioned in SAMARITAN SNARE:

http://i.imgur.com/A7ZmMKN.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/90Pr3lW.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/N4ml8GB.jpg

There are some better than average improvements in the Dauphin, especially with the planetscapes and asteroid field. Also I think I actually like The Dauphin better than I used to...hmm..

RAMA
Agreed. Some of the planets, like in The Dauphin, look much better than other 2nd season episodes. I remember the holodeck scene looking a bit dodgy, w/ the sloppy compositing outlines noted in other episodes.

Although I hadn't seen it since the DVD first came out, I too found myself enjoying the episode more than I remembered. One of its strong points is Madchen Amick, but also it's a poignant episode showing a young woman who must cast aside any selfish joy a young person might look forward to, in order to dedicate herself to the betterment of her society.
I really think some of it had to do with the fact I liked the actress better this time around. Something about her sacrifice seemed a lot sadder to me now. I hadn't watched this one in a long time.

A seldom mentioned improvement from Contagion:

Dauphin

Old March 12 2013, 07:10 AM   #2029
Bad Atom
Commodore

View Bad Atom's Twitter Profile

Anyone remember the episode with the 10-Forward "at-warp" pan? Almost positive it's S2 since that's what I've been watching lately.
Maybe you're thinking of "The Vengeance Factor"?
http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...efactor144.jpg
Bad Atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 07:32 AM   #2030
Ghostface1701
Commander

There are some better than average improvements in the Dauphin, especially with the planetscapes and asteroid field. Also I think I actually like The Dauphin better than I used to...hmm..

RAMA
Agreed. Some of the planets, like in The Dauphin, look much better than other 2nd season episodes. I remember the holodeck scene looking a bit dodgy, w/ the sloppy compositing outlines noted in other episodes.

Although I hadn't seen it since the DVD first came out, I too found myself enjoying the episode more than I remembered. One of its strong points is Madchen Amick, but also it's a poignant episode showing a young woman who must cast aside any selfish joy a young person might look forward to, in order to dedicate herself to the betterment of her society.
I really think some of it had to do with the fact I liked the actress better this time around. Something about her sacrifice seemed a lot sadder to me now. I hadn't watched this one in a long time.

Dauphin

An improvement certainly, but still below CBS-D's standards. The textures and modeling on that asteroid look really bad.
Ghostface1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 04:11 PM   #2031
Mott the barber
Commodore

Bad Atom wrote: View Post
Maybe you're thinking of "The Vengeance Factor"?
http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...efactor144.jpg
It's possible it occurred in that episode as well but I haven't seen it in the last 2 years or so and I know I saw it more recently. Oh well.
Old March 12 2013, 06:06 PM   #2032
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Ghostface1701 wrote: View Post

Dauphin

An improvement certainly, but still below CBS-D's standards. The textures and modeling on that asteroid look really bad.
Possibly but we really won't ever know. I think they're good enough of an improvement to make it worthwhile pointing out the work.
Old March 13 2013, 04:15 AM   #2033
davejames
Vice Admiral

Love the new Iconia shot, but unfortunately I found the Holodeck shots in the Dauphin to be a bit disappointing, with the actors still looking too much like they were standing in front of a bluescreen.

I have a feeling CBS-D probably would have been able to integrate them a lot better, with the more shadowy lighting style they use.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 10:59 PM   #2034
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile

Doug Drexler did the Iconia shot from what I gather.
Old March 15 2013, 01:59 AM   #2035
RAMA
Vice Admiral

I was always unhappy with that shot, if it was Drexler he remade it faithfully with just the right changes.
Old April 1 2013, 09:06 AM   #2036
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post
Well for the fourth season they can talk about the fight to make "Family", the departure of Wheaton, the creation of the Cardassians, and the big Klingon finale. At least for starters.

I'm also hoping they delve into the making of the 4-footer in some detail (either in the S3 or S4 set).
I forgot this was the season Wheaton left. Actually with what you bring up, there is a lot of stuff that happened in Season 4. Here I was thinking it was business as usual.
Season four was also the season in which TNG surpassed TOS in number of episodes. That was a big milestone for the series.
Old April 5 2013, 06:56 PM   #2037
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

HTV photoshopped out the mirrored NCC-1701-D from the saucer, but forgot to add it back with the correct orientation:

http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/2x...als_hd_335.jpg
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2013, 09:38 PM   #2038
MickJo1701
Commander

jimbotron wrote: View Post
HTV photoshopped out the mirrored NCC-1701-D from the saucer, but forgot to add it back with the correct orientation:

http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/2x...als_hd_335.jpg
True, but they didn't horizontally squash the Enterprise in that particular shot like they usually do so the cock up had to be somewhere
MickJo1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 12:34 PM   #2039
MikeS
Fleet Captain

Wasn't that the Yamato anyway?
Old April 6 2013, 01:02 PM   #2040
NewHorizon
Captain

MikeS wrote: View Post
Wasn't that the Yamato anyway?
No, this is a screen shot from Pen Pals.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote