RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,821
Posts: 5,326,639
Members: 24,550
Currently online: 801
Newest member: junkdata

TrekToday headlines

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Favourite Doctor?
1st Doctor-William Hartnel 2 2.02%
2nd Doctor-Patrick Troughton. 13 13.13%
3rd Doctor-Jon Pertwee 5 5.05%
4th Doctor-Tom Baker 21 21.21%
5th Doctor-Peter Davidson 2 2.02%
6th Doctor-Collin Baker 7 7.07%
7th Doctor-Sylvester McCoy 6 6.06%
8th Doctor-Paul McGann 2 2.02%
9th Doctor-Christopher Eccleston 8 8.08%
10th Doctor-David Tennant 21 21.21%
11th Doctor-Matt Smith 12 12.12%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 5 2013, 11:58 PM   #61
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Favourite Doctor?

Nagisa Furukawa wrote: View Post
The TV Human Nature is, for New Who standards, pretty well-made and is one of the very few that could be said to have anything close to a slow(ish) pace like the classic series, but it doesn't have nearly as much impact as the book as we've already seen Tennant's Doctor flirt and snog and do very human activities.
It isn't as good as the book at all I agree, but it's one of the few outstanding Tenth Doctor stories. Up there with Midnight, Blink and Waters of Mars as the stories from his era I recall with genuine fondness.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 03:33 AM   #62
Klaus
Rear Admiral
 
Klaus's Avatar
 
Location: Beach condo, Bay of Eldamar
View Klaus's Twitter Profile
Re: Favourite Doctor?

Mark_Nguyen wrote: View Post
As always:

Question - Who is your favorite Doctor?

Answer - Yes, Who IS my favorite Doctor.



Mark
__________________
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
t-shirts!
deviantArt
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 05:22 AM   #63
The Lensman
Fleet Captain
 
The Lensman's Avatar
 
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Re: Favourite Doctor?

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Sylvester McCoy is far from abysmal. I love his Chaplin-esque touches and the dark mystery he bought to the character. He could be unconvincing sometimes when called upon to shout but that's because it didn't fit his character as well as the brooding menace he bought to it.

I rate Patrick Troughton as being far and away the best actor to have played the part. He's the only Doctor actor I'd put up there with the best of the craft.
I just can't get into McCoy. Being a Chaplin fan (have all his movies) I can see all the nods, so you'd think that would endear him to me more than it has. But there's just something about him that doesn't gel. I don't know if it's McCoy or what. He's a fine actor.....

But that may change as I've been doing a watch through of Who...just got to the Fourth Doctor and I'm seeing him through new eyes. Much more alien feeling than 1-3 combined and much more so than I remember him.

So it's possible by the time I'm done with McCoy I'll have a better opinion of him. Or worse...we'll see.

DalekJim wrote: View Post
To the wider audience though, he's easily second only to Tom Baker.
In the UK maybe, not in the states. Doctor Who here has exploded under Smith. It's bigger than it's ever been. Under Tennant, it was still relatively unknown. For us yanks that were with nuWho since the beginning, we've been aware of the shows popularity in the UK and so understood how big Tennant was.

But Who in the U.S. was still a pretty small club that was slowly growing. It's blown my mind how much you see Who exposure now. Billboards, write up in magazines, merch displays at stores like B&N or Hastings, full page ad's in comics, and so on. Smith is now probably more well known here than Baker was, strangely enough.
__________________
"Everyone Booze Up And Riot!!"
.....Milk and Cheese.....
The Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 05:33 AM   #64
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral
 
auntiehill's Avatar
 
Location: hillsville
Re: Favourite Doctor?

^Because we didn't have BBCAmerica back then. In the Tom Baker days, we only saw it because local PBS stations aired it--usually at some strange hour, like very late on Friday, or in the middle of Saturday afternoon. But now that BBCA is on many, if not most, regular cable services, it's available to a huge audience. It's no longer just a strange kiddie show from England on some odd little channel; it's now a family adventure Sci Fi/Fantasy show on cable. NuWho's popularity has grown steadily and has really hit the heights with Smith. There's also a lot more media attention, especially after Who topped the iTunes list for the first time.
__________________
"If you open your mind too much, your brain will fall out."
--Tim Minchin
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 06:05 AM   #65
The Lensman
Fleet Captain
 
The Lensman's Avatar
 
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Re: Favourite Doctor?

auntiehill wrote: View Post
^Because we didn't have BBCAmerica back then. In the Tom Baker days, we only saw it because local PBS stations aired it--usually at some strange hour, like very late on Friday, or in the middle of Saturday afternoon. But now that BBCA is on many, if not most, regular cable services, it's available to a huge audience. It's no longer just a strange kiddie show from England on some odd little channel; it's now a family adventure Sci Fi/Fantasy show on cable. NuWho's popularity has grown steadily and has really hit the heights with Smith. There's also a lot more media attention, especially after Who topped the iTunes list for the first time.
I'm old enough to have watched it as kid on PBS in the 70's, so I remember. Here in Houston, it actually premiered first as part of a four show afternoon block on Channel 2 (NBC). I was too used to Star Trek, so had a hard time getting into it. Then it jumped to PBS on Friday or Saturday airings (I mostly remember late showings on Saturday nights).

As for Who being a "kiddie show from England".....well when I was a kid, I thought of it as a grown ups show, like Star Trek. It wasn't until I had long been an adult that I was told it was a kiddie show.

And of course I factor in all the various media options available to us in the present for Who's increased popularity.
__________________
"Everyone Booze Up And Riot!!"
.....Milk and Cheese.....
The Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 06:44 AM   #66
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral
 
auntiehill's Avatar
 
Location: hillsville
Re: Favourite Doctor?

Was that the block that used to show Who, Blake's 7 and The Prisoner (plus something else; I forget what), all in a block on Saturdays? That was a loooong time ago, but I LOVED all of those shows dearly. It was one of the few things that made the move to Houston in my teen years bearable.

When I was in high school, I even got to go to a Doctor Who convention at the Shamrock Hotel, right before they tore it down. Colin Baker was there and he showed one episode they'd just aired. It was the first one of his that I got to see--"The Twin Dilemma."


Fuck, I'm old.
__________________
"If you open your mind too much, your brain will fall out."
--Tim Minchin
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 07:47 AM   #67
Aldo
Admiral
 
Aldo's Avatar
 
Location: Somewhere Out there beneath the pale moonlight.
Re: Favourite Doctor?

If I was told to choose my top 3 it'd be: McGann, Tennant and McCoy. They're the Doctor's I return to the most when I'm re-watching old episodes. I like Smith too, but he's the current Doctor so it's kind of hard not to watch his stories

But if I was forced to pick just one, it'd be McGann. He did the impossible, he made his Doctor endearing in a script that was essentially a regeneration story and left him with amnesia through most of it.
__________________
Don't believe everything I say.
Aldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 10:59 AM   #68
Lonemagpie
Writer
 
Lonemagpie's Avatar
 
Location: Yorkshire
Re: Favourite Doctor?

Nagisa Furukawa wrote: View Post
By the time we get to the Virgin New Adventures, he is THE Doctor. The definitive one. Been re-reading many of my favorites in this series (surprised Lonemagpie said earlier he disliked 7 as he did quite well with him in Sanctuary, although on the other hand, he isn't anywhere near as magnetic on the page as Guy and Benny) and he's just got everything, everything that makes me love the character of the Doctor rolled up in one amazing package. The light, the darkness, the eccentric in-between, everything.
Yeah, but in the books you don't have Sylv's acting limitations screwing things up!

(Look, Sylv's a great guy in real life, but he's just not the Doctor...)

And essentially he's being run by a different production team than on TV, so that makes a big difference.
__________________
"I got two modes with people- Bite, and Avoid"
Reading: 1000 Years Of Annoying The French (Stephen Clarke)

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 11:14 AM   #69
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Favourite Doctor?

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
(Look, Sylv's a great guy in real life, but he's just not the Doctor...)
I'd say he fits the same archetype as Patrick Troughton, Tom Baker and Matt Smith. I don't see how his performance is too far removed from the purest Doctor mould, as opposed to say, The Doctor running around snogging girls and crying all the time in slow motion.

And essentially he's being run by a different production team than on TV, so that makes a big difference.
I don't think there's much difference really. Andrew Cartmel's vision of what the show could do is absolutely the driving force of the VNAs even though he's not in charge.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 11:47 AM   #70
Lonemagpie
Writer
 
Lonemagpie's Avatar
 
Location: Yorkshire
Re: Favourite Doctor?

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
(Look, Sylv's a great guy in real life, but he's just not the Doctor...)
I'd say he fits the same archetype as Patrick Troughton, Tom Baker and Matt Smith. I don't see how his performance is too far removed from the purest Doctor mould, as opposed to say, The Doctor running around snogging girls and crying all the time in slow motion.
He's not as much of an actor as them, he's more of a physical performer - closer, ironically, to the Pertwee mould in that sense...

And essentially he's being run by a different production team than on TV, so that makes a big difference.
I don't think there's much difference really. Andrew Cartmel's vision of what the show could do is absolutely the driving force of the VNAs even though he's not in charge.
Cartmel's vision to some degree, Darvill-Evans and Levene's visions, but not JNT's light-entertainment vision...

(trust me on this, I was there from the start!)
__________________
"I got two modes with people- Bite, and Avoid"
Reading: 1000 Years Of Annoying The French (Stephen Clarke)

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 12:38 PM   #71
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Favourite Doctor?

I'd say JNT's penchant for light entertainment vanished when Season 24 ended. 25 and 26 are a bold new direction. From Remembrance of the Daleks onwards, the classic series was the best it had been since the Hinchcliffe era.

Of course, a few seasons later we're in Voyage of the Damned territory and the show is JNT's showbiz excesses on crack until Smith turns up.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 05:28 PM   #72
Lonemagpie
Writer
 
Lonemagpie's Avatar
 
Location: Yorkshire
Re: Favourite Doctor?

DalekJim wrote: View Post
I'd say JNT's penchant for light entertainment vanished when Season 24 ended. 25 and 26 are a bold new direction.

Wossname in Silver Nemesis (the American woman in the car), and Hale & Pace in Survival say otherwise...
__________________
"I got two modes with people- Bite, and Avoid"
Reading: 1000 Years Of Annoying The French (Stephen Clarke)

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 05:38 PM   #73
lennier1
Commodore
 
lennier1's Avatar
 
Location: Germany
Re: Favourite Doctor?

Can't really narrow it down to one, since I have an equal preference for Pertwee, Davison, McCoy and Tennant.
__________________
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 05:55 PM   #74
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander
 
Nagisa Furukawa's Avatar
 
Re: Favourite Doctor?

The Lensman wrote: View Post
DalekJim wrote: View Post
To the wider audience though, he's easily second only to Tom Baker.
In the UK maybe, not in the states. Doctor Who here has exploded under Smith. It's bigger than it's ever been. Under Tennant, it was still relatively unknown. For us yanks that were with nuWho since the beginning, we've been aware of the shows popularity in the UK and so understood how big Tennant was.

But Who in the U.S. was still a pretty small club that was slowly growing. It's blown my mind how much you see Who exposure now. Billboards, write up in magazines, merch displays at stores like B&N or Hastings, full page ad's in comics, and so on. Smith is now probably more well known here than Baker was, strangely enough.
As someone who's a US fan, I can definitely say this is true. I only got into Who in 2006 and there has certainly been a dramatic uprise in how mainstream it's become in the last two years. I see DW stuff everywhere, not just the examples you said, but as a student on campus, I see tons of DW-themed T-shirts and when I wear my own TARDIS-resembling hoodie, I'm always guaranteed at least two compliments. And this has all been under Smith's era.

BUT DalekJim was talking about the UK (obviously with his location being GB). Even with the new surge of Who acceptance in the US, it's STILL not a tried-and-true public institution like it is there with everyone, children / middle-aged / elderly, watch it, often together as a family unit. And there, Tennant is still a mega-celebrity.
__________________
I am the one who guided you this far.
Nagisa Furukawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 06:02 PM   #75
Klaus
Rear Admiral
 
Klaus's Avatar
 
Location: Beach condo, Bay of Eldamar
View Klaus's Twitter Profile
Re: Favourite Doctor?

The Lensman wrote: View Post
auntiehill wrote: View Post
^Because we didn't have BBCAmerica back then. In the Tom Baker days, we only saw it because local PBS stations aired it--usually at some strange hour, like very late on Friday, or in the middle of Saturday afternoon. But now that BBCA is on many, if not most, regular cable services, it's available to a huge audience. It's no longer just a strange kiddie show from England on some odd little channel; it's now a family adventure Sci Fi/Fantasy show on cable. NuWho's popularity has grown steadily and has really hit the heights with Smith. There's also a lot more media attention, especially after Who topped the iTunes list for the first time.
I'm old enough to have watched it as kid on PBS in the 70's, so I remember. Here in Houston, it actually premiered first as part of a four show afternoon block on Channel 2 (NBC). I was too used to Star Trek, so had a hard time getting into it. Then it jumped to PBS on Friday or Saturday airings (I mostly remember late showings on Saturday nights).

As for Who being a "kiddie show from England".....well when I was a kid, I thought of it as a grown ups show, like Star Trek. It wasn't until I had long been an adult that I was told it was a kiddie show.

And of course I factor in all the various media options available to us in the present for Who's increased popularity.
I saw it in the mid-late 80s on PBS out of Boston and Hartford, and they stripped it five days a week at 6 or 7 pm, running through all the doctors up to early Colin Baker when they stopped... I realize from things I've read here that we were lucky. The Boston PBS station is one of their flagships and had a good budget for it.
__________________
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
t-shirts!
deviantArt
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.