Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old April 5 2013, 11:55 AM   #16
{ Emilia }
Rear Admiral

Re: LucasArts done for

I still wish George Lucas had adapted Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis instead of making the shitty crystal skull movie.
{ Emilia } is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2013, 05:27 PM   #17
General_Phoenix
Commander

Send a message via ICQ to General_Phoenix Send a message via AIM to General_Phoenix Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to General_Phoenix Send a message via Yahoo to General_Phoenix

{ Emilia } wrote: View Post
I still wish George Lucas had adapted Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis instead of making the shitty crystal skull movie.
Fate of Atlantis was a great game, still enjoy playing through that from time to time. Would like to see that get released on the Xbox marketplace or something, similar to what happened to Monkey Island. Liked the different paths you could take, wits, fists, or a combination of the two.
Old April 5 2013, 05:55 PM   #18
AlphaMan
Rear Admiral

Disney to LucasArts: "I am altering our deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."
AlphaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2013, 06:09 PM   #19
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

When I first heard the news, I figured it was a reasonable call (sucks for the people who worked there, though). I don't think Star Wars games will suffer. In fact, there will probably be more of them (I could argue that the quality would suffer, but the quality has always been hit or miss). That being said, I forgot about the non-Star Wars games (e.g., Monkey Island). LucasArts was actually quite good at making games independent of their licensing tie-in. That loss is a shame (although, as others have pointed out, they haven't been as good recently).
Old April 5 2013, 07:23 PM   #20
lurok
Commodore

I enjoyed the Battlefront series as closest thing to 'playing the films' (+ original was half-decent on the Mac). It was a shame BF3 was canned as would still like to see this in a game:
changes from the first two installments of the series appear to include the ability to fly from ground to space and board orbiting space craft with no loading screens.
Old April 5 2013, 07:36 PM   #21
lennier1
Commodore

Jono wrote: View Post
General_Phoenix wrote: View Post
I wasn't even aware there was a new Star Wars game being worked on, 1313. The fate of that game remains in the air, but I guess it could go the way of the Secret of Vulcan Fury.
The "insider" news isn't good as it is that the game is dead. They've tried to get another developer to pick it up and no one wanted it.

As for the future of Star Wars games, the only thing we can probably count on is in 2015 there will be a tie-in game for the new film.
Better to let it die than to let it fall in the hands of Gearbox.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2013, 07:40 PM   #22
billcosby
Commodore

They reached their peak at Battlefront II in 2005 and haven't come anywhere near since. None of the Star Wars titles since then had any longevity or replay value (I'm looking at you, Force Unleashed series). You couldn't pay me to play TOR, I'm just not a MMO gamer.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2013, 09:26 PM   #23
General_Phoenix
Commander

Send a message via ICQ to General_Phoenix Send a message via AIM to General_Phoenix Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to General_Phoenix Send a message via Yahoo to General_Phoenix

billcosby wrote: View Post
They reached their peak at Battlefront II in 2005 and haven't come anywhere near since. None of the Star Wars titles since then had any longevity or replay value (I'm looking at you, Force Unleashed series). You couldn't pay me to play TOR, I'm just not a MMO gamer.
Battlefront II was a lot of fun, really enjoyed the space battles and boarding enemy ships and causing all kinds of destruction from within their hangars. I always liked to play with the heroes turned off, I always liked the idea of just being a simple soldier in the Star Wars universe. Part of the appeal of Dark Forces to me was you were a mercenary with blasters, of course they couldn't leave that alone and had to give Kyle force abilities.
Old April 6 2013, 04:42 AM   #24
Caretaker
Commodore

View Caretaker's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Caretaker Send a message via AIM to Caretaker

Fond memories of playing Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade, which my uncle gave to my family. Also, a sample version of The Secret of Monkey Island.

And, of course, TIE Fighter - running it on a system that is far too slow and not powerful enough to properly run it. But cool enough to show me my first look at Coruscant.

So many good times with LucasArts games. I'd love to see someone license this and remaster them. I never did get a chance to play Fate of Atlantis or X-Wing.

Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 04:52 AM   #25
General_Phoenix
Commander

Caretaker wrote: View Post
Fond memories of playing Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade, which my uncle gave to my family. Also, a sample version of The Secret of Monkey Island.

And, of course, TIE Fighter - running it on a system that is far too slow and not powerful enough to properly run it. But cool enough to show me my first look at Coruscant.

So many good times with LucasArts games. I'd love to see someone license this and remaster them. I never did get a chance to play Fate of Atlantis or X-Wing.
TIE Fighter is a classic, terrific game. I really wish that title would end up on Steam, I'd buy that (again..for the 5th time..) in a heartbeat. X-Wing is a good game, but incredibly difficult, X-Wing Alliance is a good game too, I always liked the custom skirmish editor in Alliance. I played X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter for awhile, but it came out shortly before Jedi Knight, once Jedi Knight got released that game had my full attention multiplayer wise.
Old April 6 2013, 04:54 AM   #26
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

I've never played any of the X-Wing or Tie Fighter games. I've heard great things about them over the years, but never had a chance to play them. I would absolutely buy them if they were released on Steam or Gog.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 07:09 AM   #27
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

X-Wing is considerably more difficult than Tie Fighter; both are great. I love the first Dark Forces, too. I played the fuck out of all three, countless times. Contemporary audiences may regard these as dated, naturally. In their day, though, it was like the sky opening up.
Old April 6 2013, 07:58 AM   #28
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

Star Wars:Empire At War is actually a very good RTS and came out in 2006...
Old April 6 2013, 11:54 AM   #29
NightJim
Commander

View NightJim's Twitter Profile

I'm sad, mostly because of the 90s games. I was looking forward to 1313, though the news it was shifting focus to Boba Fett not so much. For a company that gave us Kyle Katarn I hoped for something a bit more original. But I've already said my piece.
NightJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 06:34 PM   #30
billcosby
Commodore

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
X-Wing is considerably more difficult than Tie Fighter; both are great. I love the first Dark Forces, too. I played the fuck out of all three, countless times. Contemporary audiences may regard these as dated, naturally. In their day, though, it was like the sky opening up.
I hear that... when I first installed X-Wing it absolutely rocked me. Having one of those full grip huge PC adapter joysticks really enhanced the experience of the ship to ship combat in the Star Wars universe. Plus it seemed to improve on some of the weak points in the Wing Commander series, IMHO.

Those capital ship polygons were so crude but that game will always be installed in my dream emulation system of Windows98!
Dark Forces was bitchin' too... what an awesome era of first person shooters. At a time when DOOM was still fairly popular it was a trip to run around blasting stormtroopers.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote