Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 5 2013, 06:48 PM   #916
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Re: Farscape or Babylon 5?

The Ragged Edge - Londo and g'Kar's banter is always good. G'kar's reaction to his book getting stolen was great. Gqaribaldi's trip to the Drazi homeworld was interesting. His drinking is also causing problems, and I'm sure it will cause more before the season is done. I'm glad that Sheridan and company aren't blaiming Londo for the Centauri attacks. The reason for not telling him anything makes sense. G'kar trying to argue with his followers about his book was funny, especially when he slammed the narn's head in the book. So, Franklin will leave B5 at the end of the year? Well, the way the season seem to work, that will be at the end of the season, so its not a big deal. Overall, this was a good episode, with some great G'Kar and Londo moments.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 01:48 AM   #917
DWF
Vice Admiral

Remember the end of the season is the end of the series, so Franklin leaving is a big deal.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 06:52 AM   #918
chrisspringob
Commodore

IIRC, there were several references in Season 5 to Franklin leaving "at the end of the year", or of other stuff in the show that was due to wrap up the story "at the end of the year". It always struck me as strange that no one ever varied the phrase-ology, like saying "in December" or "in X months".

Actually, did they ever refer to specific months in B5? I know that in "Deconstruction of Falling Stars" there are references to specific dates, as there are in Crusade. But other than that, does anyone ever refer to months by name? Or for that matter, to days of the week by name? (Granted, TV in general is pretty bad about doing that.)
chrisspringob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 11:49 AM   #919
DWF
Vice Admiral

chrisspringob wrote: View Post
IIRC, there were several references in Season 5 to Franklin leaving "at the end of the year", or of other stuff in the show that was due to wrap up the story "at the end of the year". It always struck me as strange that no one ever varied the phrase-ology, like saying "in December" or "in X months".

Actually, did they ever refer to specific months in B5? I know that in "Deconstruction of Falling Stars" there are references to specific dates, as there are in Crusade. But other than that, does anyone ever refer to months by name? Or for that matter, to days of the week by name? (Granted, TV in general is pretty bad about doing that.)
There's a New Year's celegration in Chysalis and Sheridan and Garabaldi talk it snowing back on earth in Za'Ha'Dum. While few dates are mentioned the year changes in the credits.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 01:37 PM   #920
Reverend
Rear Admiral

'A Tragedy of Telepaths' starts with Lochley giving her log entry as June 16, 2262, but yeah, aside from season finales and premiers (which always take place around new years) specific dates are few and far between. When they are mentioned it's usually retrospective, like "remember back in August when...." Which is fine, because who the hell remembers uses dates in conversation anyway?

One assumes they were intentionally avoided for the most part because it allowed JMS some wiggle room in terms of continuity. Trying to track the specific days and times of fictional events can be a nightmare and a writer can really paint themselves into a corner over time unless they're *very* meticulous. Even a show like '24' which supposedly took place in real time could never get it 100% consistently to the minute.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 01:39 PM   #921
Gov Karnstein
Admiral

Most episodes take place between the hour of longing and the hour of scampering.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Karnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 06:48 PM   #922
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

The Corps is Mother, The Corps is Father - This was a cool concept for an episode, following Bester and the Psi Cops as they try to stop a crazy telepathic murderer. All the signs in Psi Corps reminded me of the signs from They Live, just without needing glasses to see them. Seeing Bester at the Psi Corps HQ and interacting with other Corps telepaths was interesting, as was the Psi Corps having at least one (and possibly more) large spaceship that hides in hyperspace. The murderer was creepy. I understand how he could kill with his mind, but stealing skills was an ability I didn't expect. The fact that he has mulitple personalities, with one being crazy and stronger than the other, was a cool concept. Having the rookie just casually kill a normal human did a good job of enforcing the fact that this is a pretty evil group just out for themselves, and that Bester isn't that unique when it comes to his attitude. This was a very good episode, with a cool concept. Koenig was amazing as Bester, like he usually is. At this point, I think he's gotten more screen time and lines in B5 than he did in Star Trek and the ST movies combined
Old April 6 2013, 07:50 PM   #923
hyzmarca
Fleet Captain

Reverend wrote: View Post
Even a show like '24' which supposedly took place in real time could never get it 100% consistently to the minute.
It's generally held that Jack Bauer is the fastest driver in the world. Realistically, there's no way in hell that he wouldn't spend half the season just sitting around in traffic. Yet somehow he can get from one side of LA to the other in minutes.
hyzmarca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 10:25 PM   #924
Takeru
Fleet Captain

hyzmarca wrote: View Post
It's generally held that Jack Bauer is the fastest driver in the world. Realistically, there's no way in hell that he wouldn't spend half the season just sitting around in traffic. Yet somehow he can get from one side of LA to the other in minutes.
That reminds me of something, did we ever see Jack taking a potty break?
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 10:46 PM   #925
hyzmarca
Fleet Captain

Nope. He also has a huge bladder. Either that, or he pees in an old drink bottle during the commercials
hyzmarca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 11:10 PM   #926
diankra
Commodore

hyzmarca wrote: View Post
Nope. He also has a huge bladder. Either that, or he pees in an old drink bottle during the commercials
That was what Keifer Sutherland suggested in interviews... So he thought about it, at least!
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 11:35 PM   #927
flavaflav
Commander

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Koenig was amazing as Bester, like he usually is. At this point, I think he's gotten more screen time and lines in B5 than he did in Star Trek and the ST movies combined
I had no idea Walter Koenig was such a good actor. JMS gave him some great dialog and Walter stole every scene he was in. Bester is right there with Darth Vader for all time great villains.
flavaflav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 01:52 AM   #928
Aeon
Commander

JMS doesn't believe in such thing as typecasting.
Aeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 06:48 PM   #929
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Meditations on the Abyss - Delenn is pretty good at breaking fingers. Vir hasn't been around for awhile, it was nice to see him again. The fast food stuff was funny, as was how Londo reacted to the Drazi bug. Vir losing his mind was hilarious. He just destroyed that fruit stand. G'Kar finally got his new eye. Minbari fighters look interesting. I'm guessing that the pilots fly while laying down, atleast thats what it looked like. I figured the lack of air was a test, it seems like something the Rangers would do. G'Kar's talk about his book was interesting, although I don't know if his followers understood what he meant about the light. Having a coffee stain be a permenant part of the book was funny. Overall, this was a very good episode.

Darkness Ascending - Garibaldi's dream was interesting, although now I'm wondering if creepy white eyed Lyta might have actually been real Lyta and G'Kar's deal is interesting, although the "Pleasure Threshold" thing was really creepy I'm glad Delenn got the better of Sheridan during their fight. She was right to send Lennier out to get evidence. Garibaldi was a bit of an ass this episode, and is obviously out of control with the drinking, but you'd think his girlfriend (assuming she believed him) could have atleast not had a glass of wine at dinner on the same day they just had a fight about drinking. I know she doesn't have a problem, and he was sneaking drinks anyway, but she didn't know that so she probably shouldn't have been drinking right in front of him, it seems only fair, atleast in that situation. Garibaldi's drinking keeps causing problems, I'm sure its building to him making a big mistake. Lennier's fighter must be very stealthy to be able to attach to a ship and steal air without being detected. I guess the Centauri don't have sensors on the hulls of their ships. This Centauri situation is going to go badly. I'm betting that Londo is 3-4 episodes away at most from becoming puppet Londo. I was really hoping that would happen off screen, after season 5, but it looks like it won't. I'll probably have to watch atleast an episode or two with my favorite character just being a puppet. Thats going to suck, but besides that I'm interested in seeing what happens next. this was a good episode.
Old April 9 2013, 01:34 PM   #930
Aeon
Commander

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Lyta and G'Kar's deal is interesting, although the "Pleasure Threshold" thing was really creepy
A nice callback to the pilot where G'Kar tries to buy Lyta's services to acquire the telepathic gene for the Narns.

"Would you prefer to be conscious or unconscious during the mating? I would prefer conscious, but I don't know what your... pleasure threshold is."
Aeon is offline   Reply With Quote