MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 30 2013, 09:44 AM   #16
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: Scooby Doo Mystery Inc. - New episodes 3/25

I'm getting a kick out of the Twin Peaks homages.

In the latest episode, Fred was strangely ingenious. He not only figured out what was going on in a matter of seconds, but he also came up with a plan to alert Velma pretty quickly. But if his modified mom was wired, then why didn't his doctored dad know when he had escaped from the movie studio and was on the way?
Old March 30 2013, 02:57 PM   #17
Christopher
Writer

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
They even got Michael J. Anderson (the original actor) to do the voice of the Little Man From Another Place!

I like it that they actually provided an explanation for why Scooby can talk and other dogs can't. I have a theory:

In the latest episode, Fred was strangely ingenious. He not only figured out what was going on in a matter of seconds, but he also came up with a plan to alert Velma pretty quickly.
Yeah, it was impressive how resourceful Fred could be when he had to.

But if his modified mom was wired, then why didn't his doctored dad know when he had escaped from the movie studio and was on the way?
Maybe once he left the studio, they were out of range of the receiver picking up her signal. Or maybe he sent Evil Fred to the factory because he knew signals would be blocked there. I can't think of any other reason to send him to the Disk's actual hiding place. (I was assuming it was just a painted replica Fred had planted -- I was startled when it turned out to be the real thing.)

What bugs me is that Cartoon Network apparently cut out the teaser. The episode began with the main titles and then we joined the story in progress. It was easy enough to follow, but there was a sense that something was missing, and the Scoobypedia entry lists Mayor Nettles's voice actress in the cast when I don't think we saw/heard her in the portion of the episode we saw.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 03:02 PM   #18
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Just a head's up, Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated is now streaming on Netflix. Season 1 (through episode 26, "All Fear the Freak") can now be streamed if you subscribe to Netflix!
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 03:30 PM   #19
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Aww, I never watched Twin Peaks, I feel like I'm missing out now....

In the latest episode, Fred was strangely ingenious.
Well, he was trapped after all. And we know Fred knows traps...
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 03:58 PM   #20
Christopher
Writer

^Ohh, good one.

Old March 30 2013, 04:37 PM   #21
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

"Current" Schedule EST:
Code:
Tue Apr 2 5PM Nightmare in Red
Wed Apr 3 5PM Dark Night of the Hunters
Thu Apr 4 5PM Gates of Gloom
Fri Apr 5 5PM Through the Curtain
Fri Apr 5 530PM Come Undone
This will takes us to 52 episodes which is the expected total. So we shouldn't have to hunt for it after that.

Found a link on Wikipedia to an article from 2/25 that confirmed the show is indeed done as we suspected.
http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/sc...n-three-27057/

The link had this gem in regard to CN scheduling:
Cervone said, "There are 11 shows left that will finish the series off at 52 episodes. I’m not sure when they’re coming back. I never know when they’re coming back. If I had to guess, probably in the summer because it usually airs in the summer. But I can’t wait for these last 11 to get out for people to see them because they’re crazy."
Old March 31 2013, 09:34 AM   #22
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

^^ Sounds like we'll at least get some kind of an ending, rather than a cliffhanger.

Christopher wrote: View Post
I like it that they actually provided an explanation for why Scooby can talk and other dogs can't.
Yeah, I liked that, too. But it also confirms that we're going beyond the limits of the Scooby Doo format-- something definitely Science Fictional is happening.

Maybe once he left the studio, they were out of range of the receiver picking up her signal. Or maybe he sent Evil Fred to the factory because he knew signals would be blocked there. I can't think of any other reason to send him to the Disk's actual hiding place. (I was assuming it was just a painted replica Fred had planted -- I was startled when it turned out to be the real thing.)
Makes sense, it's just too bad it wasn't referred to in dialogue.

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
In the latest episode, Fred was strangely ingenious.
Well, he was trapped after all. And we know Fred knows traps...
Good point.
Old April 6 2013, 12:46 AM   #23
Christopher
Writer

Wow, really an epic finale. One hell of a departure from what one would expect of Scooby-Doo, but some pretty impressive storytelling, and with some nifty in-jokes. (Particularly some Trek nods in Thursday's episode. Fred doing Kirk's "What have I done" in Shatnerian cadence after sacrificing the Mystery Machine -- and Pericles's pain-inducing remote control looking just like an agonizer.)

I'd been uneasy with the injection of what seemed like real supernatural phenomena into the Scooby premise, because a while ago I read a great essay about how the supernatural had no place in the franchise because it's basically a series about kids thinking critically to expose the lies adults tell them, and if there really is something to fear then it's not a lie and it undermines the theme that rationality and skepticism can overcome fear. But I think they handled it fairly well here through Velma's reactions, through the way the story stressed that her skepticism was not folly or blindness but invaluable critical thinking skills which enabled her to adjust to new realities and find explanations for them. And though it was fanciful, they did make an effort to explain it as a consequence of science and multidimensional physics rather than the supernatural.

Moreover, the theme of standing up against liars and manipulative authority figures continued right through the end. The evil entity itself tried to stymie them with lies, but as always, they stood up to the lies and insisted on finding the truth. So although it's a bit iffy, I think the show found a way to incorporate something paranormal into the premise without undermining the basic rationalism that underlies the franchise (and I never would've thought that about it before I read that essay).

As for the ending,

Given that the show was cancelled, it doesn't seem likely that CN would give these same producers another shot at the Scooby franchise; whatever comes next will probably be more conventional and thus less appealing to me. But it'll be interesting to see what these producers do next. I know that Mitch Watson has moved on to Beware the Batman, which is good reason to think that show will be interesting.

Old April 6 2013, 04:26 AM   #24
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Interesting ending, and the series really did have an ending with a good amount of closure, the series not only wrapped up the current storylines but even positioned it to be a prequel to existing continuities. It's too bad they themselves couldn't really enjoy the brighter world they brought forth as they didn't experience those lives to that point. Kind of makes sense why they'd pull up their roots and do what they do and their sense of camaraderie.

Loved the Sheriff's kids: Eastwood, Norris, Billy Jack and Lynda Carter. I also liked the shot of the kids in their classic series postures and gaits.

Scooby looked surprisingly cool in his Kriegstaffebot disguise. I've mentioned that he often seemed to get the short shrift in this series so I'm glad he got to play a larger role in these final episodes.

Is it me or were they getting a bit cheeky with the girls? Seemed there were a lot of leering angles there at times. At least I didn't remember as many previously.
Old April 6 2013, 01:54 PM   #25
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Awesome last couple of episodes. That was a pretty epic finale and I'm impressed with the story they built. Even the ending wasn't quite what I expected.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 02:33 PM   #26
Christopher
Writer

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Interesting ending, and the series really did have an ending with a good amount of closure, the series not only wrapped up the current storylines but even positioned it to be a prequel to existing continuities.
How so? I'm not that familiar with the existing continuities.

Loved the Sheriff's kids: Eastwood, Norris, Billy Jack and Lynda Carter.
The one reference I didn't get was Billy Jack.

I also liked the shot of the kids in their classic series postures and gaits.
I missed that too. When was this?

Scooby looked surprisingly cool in his Kriegstaffebot disguise. I've mentioned that he often seemed to get the short shrift in this series so I'm glad he got to play a larger role in these final episodes.
I liked how much he and Shaggy grew, overcoming their habitual fear and developing real strength as the stakes rose.

Is it me or were they getting a bit cheeky with the girls? Seemed there were a lot of leering angles there at times. At least I didn't remember as many previously.
I noticed a few shots where Velma's sweater seemed to be hugging her kind of closely, but I don't think that's unusual for this version of her character design. Beyond that, I didn't notice any such pattern.

Old April 6 2013, 03:15 PM   #27
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Christopher, you're not familiar with the Billy Jack films starring Tom Laughlin? The character is a sort of proto-Rambo.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 03:33 PM   #28
Christopher
Writer

Never heard of either the films or Tom Laughlin.

Old April 6 2013, 03:36 PM   #29
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

How so? I'm not that familiar with the existing continuities.
In the sense, that in the other ones the world's less sinister, and why. The laugh track at the end hints that it might be a lead up to the classic cartoons. It helps explain why these kids are off on their own travelling the roads solving mysteries. It makes it easier to reconcile this series with other ones if one was so inclined.

The one reference I didn't get was Billy Jack.
Billy Jack was the character of a couple of movies who basically defended pacifist hippies against rednecks with his karate kicks. They were preachy and indulgent but despite better intentions were mostly enjoyed for their exploitative b-actioner elements. Billy Jack in Mystery Inc. was dressed like his namesake. It was a staple of HBO in the 80s.

I missed that too. When was this?
It was while they were down in the mines. There's a shot of the five of them in side profile where Shaggy is hunched over and they all have their familiar animations.
Old April 6 2013, 10:47 PM   #30
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

They even got Michael J. Anderson (the original actor) to do the voice of the Little Man From Another Place!
Agree.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote