Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

View Poll Results: What ethnicity are you?
White 78 82.98%
Black 2 2.13%
Asian 1 1.06%
Hispanic 1 1.06%
Mixed race 5 5.32%
Other 7 7.45%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 6 2013, 02:55 AM   #196
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile
Re: What ethnicity are you?

I went to my first pow wow ever last August, here in Queens. The music and dancing, under the stars, was incredibly powerful. (A relatively small) part of my heritage is Native American, so to experience a tangible, visceral, and spiritual expression of culture from so many different nations was just amazing ... and humbling.
Old April 6 2013, 03:26 AM   #197
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

^
Which tribe(s)? Do you know for certain?

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 03:43 AM   #198
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

I've been told my heritage is from the Tuscarora Nation. Beyond that, though, I (sadly) don't have many details. I do know that my progenitors were part of the migration to western New York when the Tuscarora (re)joined the Iroquois.
Old April 6 2013, 03:55 AM   #199
Capn Flukie
Fleet Admiral

View Capn Flukie's Twitter Profile

Mohawk/German here.
Old April 6 2013, 03:59 AM   #200
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

I mentioned it earlier, but Monacan here. There might possibly be some Cherokee on that side of the family but nothing has yet been confirmed through research that some of my relatives have been doing.

Old April 6 2013, 04:13 AM   #201
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
I mentioned it earlier, but Monacan here. There might possibly be some Cherokee on that side of the family but nothing has yet been confirmed through research that some of my relatives have been doing.
Very cool. Do you know how far removed your heritage is? And the last I spoke to my mother about the subject, she did mention the possibility of a Cherokee influence as well. Though, if I had to guess, it's at best exaggerated. For my family, all evidence points to Tuscarora ... not the least of which being that nearly all traceable ancestors are from the Niagara/Buffalo area.

Have you yet had any chance to connect with any of the culture or traditions? Sadly, I haven't. My parents were distinctly American in their traditions (none of the Polish or even French Canadian influences, much less Native American, made much of a dent in our lives).
Old April 6 2013, 04:20 AM   #202
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Great-grandparents and earlier. I don't have the geneaology lineage in front of me but two of my great-grandparents on my father's side were full blooded members of the Monacan Nation from the Amherst County area of this state and my relatives have been able to trace our Monacan ancestors back to about the beginning of the 19th century. Possibly earlier but I'd have to double check.

We also learned about the horribly racist eugenics policies pursued by longtime state politician and bureaucrat Walter Plecker during his time in office, which adversely affected how native Virginia tribes were seen and treated by authorities.

Old April 6 2013, 04:23 AM   #203
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^Sadly, not unique to Virginia.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 04:27 AM   #204
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Supposedly my great grandmother on my father's side was Black Crow, but I never put any stock in it.
Old April 6 2013, 04:29 AM   #205
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
We also learned about the horribly racist eugenics policies pursued by longtime state politician and bureaucrat Walter Plecker during his time in office, which adversely affected how native Virginia tribes were seen and treated by authorities.
What a Pleckerhead.

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
Which may be a contributing factor to why some, like myself, only have a cursory familiarity with heritage and traditions. I'm not much of a traditionalist in any sense of the term (honestly, the biggest tradition I get behind is celebrating Halloween in a naturalistic - rather than commercial - sense). I've done a fair amount of research and study on my own, but I do wish I knew more about the specifics of my own heritage.

So while the pow wow here wasn't Nation-specific (I believe there were several dozen Nations represented at it), it was great to have a more personal experience with Native traditions.
Old April 6 2013, 04:37 AM   #206
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Plecker was a real piece of work. The horrendous Racial Integrity Act of 1924 was largely his baby.

As tsq stated so succinctly, this sort of virulent racism wasn't confined to just Virginia. I'm sure other states attempted to pass or actually passed legislation like this into law within their own borders during the course of past century or so, and even if they didn't the widespread cultural bigotry directed at Native Americans was still all but impossible to escape throughout the nation.

Old April 6 2013, 04:49 AM   #207
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Samuel Walters wrote: View Post

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
Which may be a contributing factor to why some, like myself, only have a cursory familiarity with heritage and traditions. I'm not much of a traditionalist in any sense of the term (honestly, the biggest tradition I get behind is celebrating Halloween in a naturalistic - rather than commercial - sense). I've done a fair amount of research and study on my own, but I do wish I knew more about the specifics of my own heritage.
It's not "may be" it's almost certainly the reason. The US government on both state and federal levels worked actively to destroy what remained of the Indian cultures after the plagues and genocide, well into the 1970s. The whole point of things like forced boarding schools was to separate Indians from their culture and kill the languages.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 05:32 PM   #208
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

Gryffindorian wrote: View Post
So sad ... I'm the only Asian/Filipino on the BBS?

To be more precise, my deep, deep ancestors were originally from Eastern China. I submitted a DNA sample to the Genographic Project a couple of years ago and had my paternal side analyzed.

Haplogroup O (M175)

I guess I fall under the category of Austronesian/Malayo-Polynesian.
My wife is, but I represent her.

I remember when Oprah came back with the news that she was Zulu. My first thought was that she was scammed because at the time only the most educated on the subject could name an African tribe besides the Zulus and Mandingo. Now we have other actors and celebs showing their heritage to a certain region as if the slaves went in packs and not singles to their eventual location. I should ask my brother who is into genealogy and such if he has ever taken this step.

Even though my parents came of age during legal segregation and I during social segregation we do have one white great, great grandparent. About 30% of my generation, about half of whom were military brats, have other then Black spouses. That first generation of mixed race are universally thought of as Black except for one girl raised on Okinawa who calls herself Blasian. Her oldest girl by a Japanese man is considered Japanese and the later children with her African American husband are considered Black.