Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old April 5 2013, 09:11 PM   #31
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: Eccleston turned down chance to be in 50th Anniversary story

Bacl wrote: View Post
If the 50th is just Tennant and Smith, what a bloody shame and missed opportunity.
I'd be fine with just Tennant.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2013, 09:21 PM   #32
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Doctor Who did not begin with David Tennant.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2013, 09:28 PM   #33
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

I can understand Eccleston, but I wish they'd also gotten at least McGann and McCoy into the mix. And some of Tom Baker's distinctive voice.

C'mon BBC, don't make the same mistake you made with Nick Courtney! These wonderful performers won't be around forever and the fans deserve a chance to see them once more!
Old April 5 2013, 09:30 PM   #34
Tom
Rear Admiral

So they have approached the 3 doctors of the new series, but have they approached any from the classic series? That's what i would like to know.
Old April 5 2013, 09:42 PM   #35
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Doctor Who did not begin with David Tennant.
You're right. It began with Sydney Newman. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a movie coming out about Sydney Newman? I could have sworn I might possibly have heard something about that...

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2013, 10:17 PM   #36
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Photoman15 wrote: View Post
I just think these actors who become big because of a show
Eccleston was a celebrity and successful film/TV actor well before Doctor Who. See Shallow Grave, 28 Days Later, Second Coming. Probably the most famous a Doctor Who actor has been before taking the role.

I've always respected Eccleston for not playing the fame game. He isn't a media whore like John Barrowman and does have principles.
Yeah - Photoman has it back to front, Eccleston was cast *because* he was a well established well respected actor and they wanted to show how seriously they were taking the revamp:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/3552087.stm
I'n not sure he was every comfortable with the celebrity side of the job - McGann's a relectant one too - they act for the sake of acting, rather than to seek fame.

Chris make do secret he was reluctant to come back, he at least considered it.

As for the others, apart from Tom they are all doing conventions down under for for the next few weeks.
Old April 6 2013, 12:22 AM   #37
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

They should just find some bald nutter with the most impenetrable Northern accent they can find and call him the Ninth Doctor.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 01:29 AM   #38
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

I just think these actors who become big because of a show
Eccleston was a celebrity and successful film/TV actor well before Doctor Who. See Shallow Grave, 28 Days Later, Second Coming. Probably the most famous a Doctor Who actor has been before taking the role.

I've always respected Eccleston for not playing the fame game. He isn't a media whore like John Barrowman and does have principles.
Yeah - Photoman has it back to front, Eccleston was cast *because* he was a well established well respected actor and they wanted to show how seriously they were taking the revamp:

In the UK. If not for DW, the US would not know who he was (except as bit parts in movies, possibly). Probably for the rest of the world too.
Old April 6 2013, 02:36 AM   #39
Bacl
Fleet Captain

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
They should just find some bald nutter with the most impenetrable Northern accent they can find and call him the Ninth Doctor.
Not sure if it is because I am an American, but I actually found Eccleston's "accent" to be the easiest of the 9th, 10th, and 11th Doctors to understand, followed by Tennant and in dead last is Matt Smith (or as my family calls him "The Mumbly Doctor").
Old April 6 2013, 02:52 AM   #40
davejames
Vice Admiral

Not surprising. Eccleston has seemingly spent the last 7 years trying to move on from DW and the neverending questions about it, so the last thing he'd want to do is throw even more fuel on the fire and start all the way back at the beginning.

But that's fine. When it comes to representing the new series I think Tennant and Smith are more than enough.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 02:58 AM   #41
Wereghost
Commodore

So has anyone denied that they're in this year's Christmas special?
Old April 6 2013, 04:29 AM   #42
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Bacl wrote: View Post
Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Not sure if it is because I am an American, but I actually found Eccleston's "accent" to be the easiest of the 9th, 10th, and 11th Doctors to understand, followed by Tennant and in dead last is Matt Smith (or as my family calls him "The Mumbly Doctor").
I had no trouble understanding him, I was just suggesting they should get a comedy replacement for him with his reluctance to return to it. Just being silly.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 04:35 AM   #43
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Pingfah wrote: View Post
He doesn't owe his fans a damn thing.
Are you daring me to kidnap that sob?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 04:48 AM   #44
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

In the UK. If not for DW, the US would not know who he was (except as bit parts in movies, possibly). Probably for the rest of the world too.
You keep saying that, but I don't think Eccelston CARES about that sort of notoriety. He likes to work, not the fame. If he cared about being known around the world, he would obviously make very different choices.

He's a talented actor, he continues to work, he considered returning, he chose not to. It's not the end of the world. He's not asshole for not coming back.
Old April 6 2013, 05:54 AM   #45
The Lensman
Fleet Captain

It's a bummer about Eccelston. I kept hoping he'd have that last minute change of heart. The first time I saw "The Five Doctors" in the 80's, I was pretty bummed that Baker wasn't in it. (This was before I'd seen any 1-3 stories, so I was only really familiar with 4) A lack of Eccelston gives this special that same vibe for me. I'm sure I'll enjoy it, but I notice his absence.

If 9 won't be there, I would like them to try to get 8 in there, simply because I'd like him to have another moment on the screen as the Doctor.