Two Trek Actors In Green Room
By: T'Bonz on Oct 30

Trek UglyDolls First Look
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

New Star Trek Select Action Figure

Trek Actors In Elsa & Fred

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old March 28 2013, 02:20 PM   #211
Collingwood Nick
Vice Admiral

Re: arrrgh!!!!!!!!

Not happy with that 'cure'. Who has time to take a week off work these days. I should become a doctor of science and cure the cold because everyone else seems to be dragging the chain.
Old April 3 2013, 04:02 PM   #212
thestrangledcorpse
Vice Admiral

So, looks like I'm allergic to insulin, which sucks, being diabetic and all. But it's also okay, because I'm on a new insulin and so far things are looking good!

The Enterprise is my TARDIS.
thestrangledcorpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 08:08 PM   #213
Shanndee
Commodore

I'm so glad you have an alternative TSQ! I was afraid for a second when I read you first sentence!

I had to come home from work early. I had to have an unscheduled dental appointment this morning on a tooth that had a break in a previous repair. Unexpected filling, rebuild of broken area, and threat of a future root canal later...and I still went to work. Silly, silly me.

I hurt.

edit to add that now I really, really hurt. Whimper.

"Everything will be alright in the end; if it is not alright, it is not the end" Numerous sources

Last edited by Shanndee; April 3 2013 at 08:20 PM.
Shanndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 08:48 PM   #214
thestrangledcorpse
Vice Admiral

Shanndee wrote: View Post
I'm so glad you have an alternative TSQ! I was afraid for a second when I read you first sentence!
Yeah, some diabetics have severe allergic reactions. Mine was only moderate, which was why it was so hard to figure out that that was what was wrong. Apparently there is an insulin desensitization program that people can go through in the rare case that they have allergic reactions to all analog insulins (even my allergy is very rare, as synthetic insulins are comparatively hypoallergenic compared to porcine and bovine varieties that used to be used).

I had to come home from work early. I had to have an unscheduled dental appointment this morning on a tooth that had a break in a previous repair. Unexpected filling, rebuild of broken area, and threat of a future root canal later...and I still went to work. Silly, silly me.

I hurt.

edit to add that now I really, really hurt. Whimper.
Oh, poor thing! Dental work is never fun!

Old April 3 2013, 08:57 PM   #215
Shanndee
Commodore

^ No, it never is, and I've had far too much of it recently! An unexpected broken tooth does not help!

Anyway...I'll feel better as soon as the pain killers kick in.

Hey TSQ, would you mind if I PM you sometime regarding education and employment? It seems that we may have studied similar things, and I'd like to hear your perspective on a couple of things...

"Everything will be alright in the end; if it is not alright, it is not the end" Numerous sources
Old April 4 2013, 12:25 AM   #216
thestrangledcorpse
Vice Admiral

^Anytime!

Old April 5 2013, 08:30 AM   #217
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Flux Capacitor

My contribution to this thread is a result of my uncle being back in the hospital. He had surgery back in 2000 for a back problem he'd had since his high school football days. The anesthesiologist fucked up and my uncle has been a paraplegic ever since. My cousin, born in '95 barely remembers him not being in a wheelchair. He's paralyzed, but since his spine is damaged but not broken, he still can feel...mostly pain. Lots of spasm and cramps. The immobility mixed with his pain meds has added a whole slew of issues on top of just being unable to move anything below his chest. He's suffering from congestive heart failure and has gone to the hospital for it several time and was once actually technically dead on the operating table until they were able to bring him back.

My aunt, who is probably the strongest person I know, is doing her best as his sole caretaker but we can see her beginning to crack, and we can't blame her. Luckily my mom is nearby and has seen the cracks forming and is now increasing her presence. My uncle is back in the hospital now though...after my aunt called 911 when he started being incredibly incoherent and at times unresponsive. It wasn't as bad as the times she's been unable to wake him in the morning but still scary. It ws later found out that he was over-medicated...mostly because he was popping an extra pill of oxy from a secret stash. The only bright point is that it gives her at least a couple night of full rest, as she gets up every morning around 2am to turn him over to avoid bed sores.

Anyway, I just had to get that out. I talk to my wife about it but sometimes typing this stuff out helps too.
Old April 6 2013, 01:14 AM   #218
Professor McGonagall
Rear Admiral

^I agree, writing can be very helpful.

I have a question, coming from my own experience with nerve damage and muscle spasms after my spinal surgery: is your uncle getting physical therapy? I realize that he can't do exercises on his own, but a physical therapist moving and stretching his legs might be very helpful. My PT helped my muscles spasms far more than meds ever did. Just a thought.

Edited to add this article about physical rehabilitation that showed up online this morning. Fascinating! And cool timing.

Last edited by Professor McGonagall; April 6 2013 at 04:28 PM.
Professor McGonagall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 07:43 PM   #219
Death of Rats
Commodore

Flux, does your uncle like apricots? If so, get him to eat lots of dried apricots (untreated ones, preferably: the brown ones. The brightly orange coloured ones are treated with sulphur which causes flatulence). Apricots have lots of Magnesium and in dried ones the concentration is even higher. Mg helps against cramps and organically bound Mg is easier to take up for the body than the anorganic stuff in pills.

Also, a diet rich in vitamin B helps the nerve tissue to recover.
I know it's an idiotic example, but we once had a dog who suffered a severe brain injury before birth and had cramps and spasms (his mother had fallen down the stairs, 2 days before the puppies were born). The vet treated him with high doses of vitamin B and within a few weeks the little chap was almost completely healed. Of course a young organism heals faster but it might still be worth a try.

Also, your uncle being in hospital might be a good chance to raid his room for hidden pills.
Old April 10 2013, 06:11 AM   #220
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Flux Capacitor

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
^I agree, writing can be very helpful.

I have a question, coming from my own experience with nerve damage and muscle spasms after my spinal surgery: is your uncle getting physical therapy? I realize that he can't do exercises on his own, but a physical therapist moving and stretching his legs might be very helpful. My PT helped my muscles spasms far more than meds ever did. Just a thought.

Edited to add this article about physical rehabilitation that showed up online this morning. Fascinating! And cool timing.
Yes, when he was doing better he had a physical therapist come to the house and worked with him a lot. Lately, though, from what I understand his condition doesn't allow him much of that anymore.

Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
Flux, does your uncle like apricots? If so, get him to eat lots of dried apricots (untreated ones, preferably: the brown ones. The brightly orange coloured ones are treated with sulphur which causes flatulence). Apricots have lots of Magnesium and in dried ones the concentration is even higher. Mg helps against cramps and organically bound Mg is easier to take up for the body than the anorganic stuff in pills.

Also, a diet rich in vitamin B helps the nerve tissue to recover.
I know it's an idiotic example, but we once had a dog who suffered a severe brain injury before birth and had cramps and spasms (his mother had fallen down the stairs, 2 days before the puppies were born). The vet treated him with high doses of vitamin B and within a few weeks the little chap was almost completely healed. Of course a young organism heals faster but it might still be worth a try.

Also, your uncle being in hospital might be a good chance to raid his room for hidden pills.
Yeah, the hidden pills are taken care of. He's still in the hospital and I believe they're looking alternatives to the oxy. I'll let my aunt know about the apricots, thanks for that.
Old April 10 2013, 07:12 PM   #221
Death of Rats
Commodore

no prob I used to do athletics when I was young and the apricots were always a good way to avoid cramps without doping. Also, with 4 cases of cancer in the family and elderly (and not very healthy) parents, one acquires a fairly good medical knowledge and learns about alternatives to pills that have less side effects and interactions.
In my experience old people often refuse to take their medication or take it only irregularly. If you treat them by dietary means instead, there's less chance for them to cheat.
Old April 11 2013, 07:19 PM   #222
Shanndee
Commodore

This Arrrgh is entirely shallow and superficial, but:

I just found out that Fan Expo Toronto is hosting a Re-Animator and From Beyond reunion. In the horror genre Fan Expo in my city will have Tom Savini, Elvira, and a few people who played minor (or masked) parts on film.

I know Fan Expo is new in my city and a lot of people don't want to take the chance of coming here until it becomes established...but, come on, this is a perfectly good chance to see Jeffrey Combs in person and it is just out of reach!

I wonder how much flight, hotel and tickets would set me back...

This is just not right!

End superficial and shallow rant.

Old April 11 2013, 07:45 PM   #223
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

My caregiving rant, people...
Mom, when I'm reminding you to do something, I am not being "mean," dammit. I'm trying to make sure you don't fall, land on the armrest of your wheelchair or otherwise require major medical assistance. I'm not "defending" Dad when I'm making a statement of fact about when he's coming home. Your throwing a tantrum is not necessary or appreciated.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 03:09 PM   #224
B.J.
Rear Admiral

^ Sounds a lot like dealing with my oldest son, who has Asperger's.
Old April 12 2013, 06:19 PM   #225
Death of Rats
Commodore

{{{{{{{Peach Woookie}}}}}}} I know what you mean. There are days when everything I say to my parents is inevitably wrong.