Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old April 5 2013, 03:51 PM   #16
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: Eccleston turned down chance to be in 50th Anniversary story

Eccleston was unhappy with his experience on nuWho, so it's not surprising that he'd pass.

This will make Rose's interaction with Ten in the 50th a little less complicated, anyway.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2013, 03:56 PM   #17
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

I never said he "owed" anyone anything. I just think these actors who become big because of a show, then want nothing to do with it, knowing their fans would want something like this are selfish. I feel the same way about Susan Dey from he Partridge Family and her refusing to even talk about it. CE might have been known in the UK without DW, but no one in the US or anywhere else would know who he was.
Old April 5 2013, 03:57 PM   #18
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Photoman15 wrote: View Post
I just think these actors who become big because of a show
Eccleston was a celebrity and successful film/TV actor well before Doctor Who. See Shallow Grave, 28 Days Later, Second Coming. Probably the most famous a Doctor Who actor has been before taking the role.

I've always respected Eccleston for not playing the fame game. He isn't a media whore like John Barrowman and does have principles.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2013, 04:00 PM   #19
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

I never said he "owed" anyone anything. I just think these actors who become big because of a show, then want nothing to do with it, knowing their fans would want something like this are selfish.
Wrong.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2013, 04:06 PM   #20
Pingfaaaaarrrrgh
Admiral

I don't really see the difference between saying someone is selfish for not doing something to please their fans, and saying that they "owe" their fans something.

Either way it is an absurd entitlement syndrome. Eccleston's fans have done nothing for him besides consume the entertainment he has worked very hard to produce. The fans who expect him to base his career choices on what they want are the selfish people in this equation.
Old April 5 2013, 04:19 PM   #21
Bacl
Fleet Captain

ASSUMING this is all true (which it still may not be, but ASSUMING) then this leaves me with some disturbing ideas...

It seems like the 50th is INTENTIONALLY limiting itself to Doctors 9 and 10, with absolutely no reports as of yet of any previous doctors, many of whom the actors that portrayed them are still alive and kicking (and in several cases not THAT affected by age).

Seeing as we've had table read pics intentionally leaked, and filming has begun, it appears that the only previous Doctor to appear will be the 10th, and that aside from a supposed interest in the 9th, that this is by choice.

Why? Why would they just celebrate 50 years of Doctor who by revisiting the most recent Doctor and leave it at that? This bothers me greatly. You only turn 50 once.

I suppose this report could be untrue, and other Doctor could be kept under wraps...but I doubt they are very good at keeping things under wraps, and don't know why they'd keep other Doctors a secret in the first place.

If the 50th is just Tennant and Smith, what a bloody shame and missed opportunity.
Old April 5 2013, 04:20 PM   #22
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

I am owed a 5 hour Anniversary Special with every living Doctor and all 3 that have passed away, plus all their Companions.

Well, I'm really not, but, it would be superb to have a week long affair, with an hour a night, similar to how Torchwood Children of Earth was aired

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2013, 05:27 PM   #23
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Bacl wrote: View Post
If the 50th is just Tennant and Smith, what a bloody shame and missed opportunity.
I understand this point of view. I even sympathize with it as a long-time fan. However, I also understand that Moffat and RTD before him didn't pitch Doctor Who at the fan who suffered through the JNT era and the Wilderness Years, and the anniversary special is going to be pitched at the same audience that has tuned in since "Rose."

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2013, 05:36 PM   #24
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Eccleston was unhappy with his experience on nuWho, so it's not surprising that he'd pass.
On the other hand, he seemed happy with the role, and the people in charge are now completely different, so it's a very different situation.
Old April 5 2013, 05:48 PM   #25
The Black Stig
Rear Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
I understand this point of view. I even sympathize with it as a long-time fan. However, I also understand that Moffat and RTD before him didn't pitch Doctor Who at the fan who suffered through the JNT era and the Wilderness Years, and the anniversary special is going to be pitched at the same audience that has tuned in since "Rose."
Exactly. This special may air in the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who's production start, but it isn't celebrating the entire run, just the last eight years or so.

All we know is that he's not The Stig, he's The Stig's drowned predecessor.
The Black Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2013, 05:52 PM   #26
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Sindatur wrote: View Post

Well, I'm really not, but, it would be superb to have a week long affair, with an hour a night, similar to how Torchwood Children of Earth was aired
I like that idea. Instead of this big bloated thing on a single night, make it a mini-series and make it a week's worth. That would be awesome.
Old April 5 2013, 08:19 PM   #27
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Agreed. While they certainly don't need to include every classic Doctor, there should be at least one! I'd be happy with any of them!

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2013, 08:42 PM   #28
lvsxy808
Rear Admiral

I think McGann would be good, if only to see how 10 & 11 react/treat him, knowing he was the one that used "the moment" that they still feel guilty about.
I realize this is not the point of the thread, but I'm not convinced this is the case. I know it's always been fan assumption that Eight was the one who killed off the Timelords and the Daleks. But given the events of "Journey's End," I think it was actually a brand new Nine in the throes of post-regeneration instability.

In "Journey's End," real-Ten specifically likens human-Ten to Nine right at the beginning of the show, when Rose met him, because he just set the Crucible to explode and destroy all the Daleks. He describes it as "born in fire, born in battle" to explain his more bloodthirsty nature. (In fact, to drive home the point, I think it would have been nice if they'd had human-Ten wearing Nine's leather coat rather than matching brown-or-blue suits.)

If Eight was the one to use the Moment, then he didn't do it because he was "born in battle" as Ten seems to be suggesting. Eight was old and experienced by that point, not young and crazed. So that leaves Nine.

My theory is that Eight fought the majority of the Time War as we have always assumed, but that in one of the biggest final battles Eight was "killed" and regenerated into Nine. And it was Nine, in a post-regeneration fugue, with chaos and death all around him, who used the Moment and killed all the Daleks and Timelords.

That also fits better with "The Parting of the Ways" IMO. If Eight was the one who killed everybody and then regenerated, why would Nine regenerating again be closure for him, as PotW implies? If Eight had killed everybody, then Eight would be the one crippled with guilt, and regenerating into Nine would be the new slate. But Nine's behaviour doesn't fit with that.

Nine is the one who carries all the guilt (far more than Ten or Eleven). So it only makes sense that Nine is the one who took the actions he feels guilty about. He killed everyone almost the moment he was "born in battle," so he spends his life full of guilt, until he finally sacrifices himself to make up for it. That's closure. Nine sacrificing himself to make up for something Eight did doesn't make dramatic or emotional sense.

Anyway, that's what I think.

As to the actual topic of the thread, I would love Eight to appear in a multi-Doctor story. I know he's probably the least well known of all the Doctors, understandably, and thus the least of a draw for non-hardcore fans. But I think as a character he deserves to have at least one more on-screen adventure.

Ten is too recent (it feels like the same reason why Tom Baker didn't want to appear in "The Five Doctors" - he only left 10 minutes ago), plus he's too similar of a character to Eleven. Nine apparently doesn't want anything to do with the show anymore. Nobody knows who Eight is. All the rest are either old and fat, or dead. (Although I think Six would make a fantastic character contrast for Eleven.)

But if we must have Ten and Eleven together, maybe it could also involve River. I think there's some interesting dynamics to be had there with Ten teasing Eleven, and Eleven being hideously embarrassed to be pegged with "human squooshy stuff," while Ten is also morbidly curious to meet this woman again. It would also help to explain how come River instantly recognized Ten in the Library but didn't instantly know that Ten wouldn't recognize her - she'd already met him once.

Although if Eight were involved, that precludes River, or else Ten would have recognized her. And Nine just wouldn't give a toss about any of it. He'd just sigh and roll his eyes.

I think there was about one sentence of that which was on topic.

Read Deep Space Nine, Season 10
All 22 eps available to read on-screen or download and keep!
lvsxy808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2013, 08:45 PM   #29
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

But, it wasn't 8 born in battle, it was 9 born in battle.

IE: Using the moment, and destroying/Time locking the Daleks and the Time Lords, ended 8's life and triggered his Regeneration to 9

10 doesn't carry around as much Guilt as 9, not because he didn't do it, but, because Rose helped him heal, which is why it's a Good thing for 10.5 to go off with Rose, because 10.5 needs Rose, like 9 and early in his 10 lifetime

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2013, 09:01 PM   #30
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

DalekJim wrote: View Post
I just think these actors who become big because of a show
Eccleston was a celebrity and successful film/TV actor well before Doctor Who. See Shallow Grave, 28 Days Later, Second Coming. Probably the most famous a Doctor Who actor has been before taking the role.

I've always respected Eccleston for not playing the fame game. He isn't a media whore like John Barrowman and does have principles.
Yeah - Photoman has it back to front, Eccleston was cast *because* he was a well established well respected actor and they wanted to show how seriously they were taking the revamp:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/3552087.stm
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote