Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old April 2 2013, 12:07 PM   #46
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Re: The ENT and Melakon

teacake wrote: View Post
The signs were all there with T'Pring.
Yes, and this might explain some of the fan outrage with ENT's Vulcans. Spock is the prototype, but he's half human, and was from honorable parents. Many of the Vulcans we saw in the earlier series were with Starfleet, and therefore honorable. Though there might have been some in Section 31 we didn't know about.
--Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
Melakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2013, 12:22 PM   #47
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Melakon wrote: View Post
Yes, and this might explain some of the fan outrage with ENT's Vulcans. Spock is the prototype, but he's half human, and was from honorable parents. Many of the Vulcans we saw in the earlier series were with Starfleet, and therefore honorable. Though there might have been some in Section 31 we didn't know about.
In my opinion one of the good things about Enterprise was the way it portrayed a cultural shift among Vulcans.
Old April 2 2013, 12:23 PM   #48
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

The signs were all there with T'Pring.
Spock, like all who have a lot to prove, tried far harder than those safely ensconced in their culture.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2013, 12:32 PM   #49
Melakon
Vice Admiral

It's possible that the Proto-Spock in The Cage is how full Vulcans really behave. Unemotional Logical Spock didn't exist until Roddenberry gave him the female Number One's characteristics.
Old April 2 2013, 01:14 PM   #50
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I always thought the Vulcans were the one thing that Enterprise got right. They reminded me of the ones we saw in "Amok Time".
Old April 2 2013, 01:32 PM   #51
Melakon
Vice Admiral

I never had a problem with ENT Vulcans. There's the initial surprise at the behavior, no doubt intended, but you get used to it during the first episode. And then as the series goes on they gradually introduce other characters representing familiar concepts.
Old April 2 2013, 01:51 PM   #52
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

There's the initial surprise at the behavior...
I wasn't surprised at all. Vulcans were always standoffish pricks, even Spock.
Old April 2 2013, 04:54 PM   #53
feek61
Captain

I thought the way the Vulcans were portrayed on "Enterprise" was interesting and fresh. It really made the species much more interesting than in previous versions of Trek.
Old April 2 2013, 05:01 PM   #54
Melakon
Vice Admiral

And really, if they'd kept Vulcans like they were in the 24th century, people would be complaining about that instead.
Old April 4 2013, 12:00 PM   #55
Melakon
Vice Admiral

1:08 - Breaking the Ice

TV Blurb: Malcolm and Travis build a snowman, Vulcans are cool, and Trip talks about shit.

While Reed and Mayweather take samples from a comet, the crew answer schoolchildren's letters, host dinner for a Vulcan captain, and Trip becomes involved in T'Pol's personal problems.

Some nice special effects with the comet (the episode was nominated for an Emmy). But the end of the expedition, with the shuttle sinking into the ice, reminded me too much of a similar accident in the earlier Terra Nova. The fall into the crevice looked to me like they simply recycled the action file of the shuttle animation and used a different environment.

Although he's supposed to be an athletic outdoors enthusiast, Travis hurts his leg yet again.

There are some nice moments in the schoolkid's letters scene. Phlox is visibly though momentarily annoyed when Archer interrupts his lengthy discussion. And Archer seems to take perverse delight when Trip has to explain how the toilets work.

Trip gets drawn into T'Pol's personal life, encouraging her to start thinking about her own desires rather than necessarily what's expected of her by Vulcan tradition.

My favorite scene though, is the dinner with visiting Captain Vanik (William Utay). The Vulcan has a gift for making anything he says sound insulting or demeaning ("You're easily impressed.") I was surprised when I realized that actor Utay had played Phil, the homeless guy who hovered around district attorney Dan Fielding on the show "Night Court".

A pleasant enough episode, but just average.

Next up: Civilization
Old April 4 2013, 12:42 PM   #56
teacake
Admiral

Why they get so embarrassed about the toilet thing I don't know.. isn't this THE FUTURE?!

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old April 5 2013, 01:59 AM   #57
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Well, Travis said his dad always kept the gravity a bit lower than 1g on the ship. So quite easily this could weaken his muscles and make his legs brittle.
Old April 5 2013, 08:12 AM   #58
Melakon
Vice Admiral

teacake wrote:
Why they get so embarrassed about the toilet thing I don't know.. isn't this THE FUTURE?!
*shakes head sadly* Those 22nd century people... such prudes.
R. Star wrote:
Well, Travis said his dad always kept the gravity a bit lower than 1g on the ship. So quite easily this could weaken his muscles and make his legs brittle.
Good point.

1:09 - Civilization

TV Blurb: Enterprise discovers a heavily populated planet, though they're not the first to find it.

During original broadcast, this was the first episode I actually liked. I know that's a minority opinion around here, but I don't apologize for it. I guess I'm just an old fashioned guy.

There were several elements that appealed to me. Of the episodes I'd seen up to this point, it felt like it could have been a TOS story. Archer falls in love (and I'm not a fan of love stories), a less advanced culture needs our help, and it was a nice reference to see the Malurians before Nomad annihilates them a hundred years from now.

There aren't any outstanding moments I can think of, but the episode had me thinking that the show had started to find its footing. I guess the credit goes to Mike Sussman & Phyllis Strong, because I really liked the story.

Next: Fortunate Son
Old April 5 2013, 11:22 AM   #59
teacake
Admiral

I don't get the whole land on primitive planet, fall in love with primitive woman deal.. or I guess I do get it. Pretty easy to be an amazing, genius, hero if you come from a culture that far advanced.

Anyway the whole point of Civilization was putting T'Pol in that medieval princess dress.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old April 5 2013, 11:29 AM   #60
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I don't get the whole land on primitive planet, fall in love with primitive woman deal.. or I guess I do get it. Pretty easy to be an amazing, genius, hero if you come from a culture that far advanced.

Anyway the whole point of Civilization was putting T'Pol in that medieval princess dress.
Well... this is exactly how Neelix got Kes. The scavenger from -space- was literally the most exciting man she ever met. It wasn't until she was on Voyager long enough to get a proper frame of reference that she realized he was a glorified garbage collector.