Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old March 31 2013, 02:39 PM   #91
Deano2099
Commander

Re: New Frontier?

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post

I'm aware of that.

PAD's blogs (and KRAD's) have mentioned frustrations with not being able to make pitches, not hearing back from Pocket and no contracts being offered to them. Of course, they are also being professional in not stating in print exactly what's going on.
I'd speculate that PAD probably commands a higher fee than most of the other Trek writers, due to his relatively high-profile in the comic book world, so if they're cutting costs, it stands to reason they'd be using him less.

The KRAD thing is weird - it doesn't exactly shed much light on the issue, but he had the whole thing with Starcraft: Spectres, which he finished and turned in the manuscript for, and then Pocket nixed it and handed it to another author for reasons we don't have a clue about... and I'm fairly sure the editor of the Starcraft line at the time is the same guy editing Trek now.
Deano2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 02:59 PM   #92
NightJim
Commander

View NightJim's Twitter Profile

Just out of interest, has there been some sort of statement made or is it just the continued absence of New Frontier releases that has sparked this conversation again?
NightJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 08:02 PM   #93
JD
Admiral

Deano2099 wrote: View Post
The KRAD thing is weird - it doesn't exactly shed much light on the issue, but he had the whole thing with Starcraft: Spectres, which he finished and turned in the manuscript for, and then Pocket nixed it and handed it to another author for reasons we don't have a clue about... and I'm fairly sure the editor of the Starcraft line at the time is the same guy editing Trek now.
I hadn't heard about the Starcraft incident before. That does seem odd. The new editor's behavior at Pocket is weird. I would think the you would at least want to say something to these writers when the do stuff like that.
Old April 1 2013, 12:38 AM   #94
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

It may have had nothing to do with Pocket. It could just as easily have been an issue on Blizzard's end. They could have said, "Yeah, this isn't what we had in mind," and back to the drawing board Pocket went.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 07:25 AM   #95
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

I'd speculate that PAD probably commands a higher fee than most of the other Trek writers, due to his relatively high-profile in the comic book world, so if they're cutting costs, it stands to reason they'd be using him less.
Yes, that became obvious when NF made the leap to its run of first-release-in-hardcover instalments (and then a NF duology in trade, when Pocket cut back on hardcovers). I recall Marco explaining that the royalty rate on hardcovers was higher (trades a little less but better than MMPB), and then the author gets a second bite of the cherry when the hardcover goes to MMPB.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 02:25 PM   #96
Markonian
Captain

NightJim wrote: View Post
Just out of interest, has there been some sort of statement made or is it just the continued absence of New Frontier releases that has sparked this conversation again?
Continued absence.

But for what it's worth, last month saw the release of New Frontier: Finstere Verbündete (Dark Allies) by the German publisher. Mean cliffhanger. April will see Excalibur: Requiem.
Old April 3 2013, 06:23 PM   #97
Deano2099
Commander

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
It may have had nothing to do with Pocket. It could just as easily have been an issue on Blizzard's end. They could have said, "Yeah, this isn't what we had in mind," and back to the drawing board Pocket went.
While I can well imagine that's the case, it's still the sort of incident that could easily sour a relationship between writer and editor if one thought they weren't getting the support/help they needed from the other.

Probably also worth noting the book was being written during the second round of editorial upheavals at Pocket and I believe it switched editor part-way through. So many spinning plates, someone gets the wrong end of the stick somewhere, someone gets annoyed with someone else, then they easily become someone you don't really want to work with in the future. Messes happen.
Deano2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2013, 04:07 AM   #98
iarann
Lieutenant

I don't know if this is still the case, but back in the 90s it was PAD's success in Trek novels that was leading to a higher fee in other areas like comic books. He was far better known for his New York Times bestselling Star Trek novels than he was his work on the Incredible Hulk or X-Factor.

These days that might not be the case, but other than his work adapting the Dark Tower I can't think of any big seller he has written in quite sometime. He is popular with fans and very talented, but comics don't sell like they used to and Peter David was never quite a best seller.

If I had to guess, PAD would be more expensive because of that previous Star Trek success, much like Timothy Zahn and his Star Wars novels, if he truly does command a higher rate than someone like David Mack which I'm not sure is the case.
Old June 9 2013, 08:59 AM   #99
Charles Phipps
Commander

I love the series and am doing a "book by book" review on my by blog following the omnibus. The first one is already up.

http://unitedfederationofcharles.blo...father-of.html

New Frontier is awesome but it's definitely something I can imagine sticking in the craw of those who prefer their Star Trek a little more serious. NF doesn't do serious well. The last books were incredibly dark and I dare say actually disturbing.

But yes, I love NF and wish we could have just ONNEEEEEE more book to wrap things up given everything ended on a cliffhanger.
Old June 26 2013, 08:44 PM   #100
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

Here's a question. I know most of the relaunch stuff is given pretty specific placement in the timeline. Does anyone know what months of 2380 do Turnaround or Treason take place in?

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote