Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old March 31 2013, 02:04 AM   #151
chrisspringob
Commodore

Re: NFL 2013 Off-Season Discussion

ESPN's sources say that Buffalo is set to sign Kevin Kolb:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/91...n-kolb-sources
Old March 31 2013, 02:41 AM   #152
Sheep
Vice Admiral

chrisspringob wrote: View Post
ESPN's sources say that Buffalo is set to sign Kevin Kolb:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/91...n-kolb-sources
Even though I'm not a fan of Kolb, I don't think he'll be any worse in Buffalo than Fitzpatrick.
Old March 31 2013, 10:35 AM   #153
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

Kolb should be much better than Fitzpatrick, provided Buffalo's OL can help him stay on his feet. He helped the Cardinals get to 4-0 and had 9 TDs to 3 INTs last season before he got hurt.
Old March 31 2013, 06:25 PM   #154
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Kolb should be much better than Fitzpatrick, provided Buffalo's OL can help him stay on his feet. He helped the Cardinals get to 4-0 and had 9 TDs to 3 INTs last season before he got hurt.
Eh, I think Kolb is a stopgap / transition QB for the Bills. Obviously keeping Fitzpatrick wasn't an option after the GM brutalized him in the media, and there was no way in hell they were going to trot out Tarvaris Jackson's broken soul. Their defense is mediocre at best, and they really don't have many legitimate weapons on offense. This year's draft sucks out loud for quarterbacks; given how quiet the Bills have been in free agency, everything points to them having a 2 - 4-win season and praying that Johnny Manziel declares for the draft in 2014.

Basically, Kolb is a league-average quarterback who was on the worst possible team for a non-elite quarterback to be, given that in 14 starts with the Cardinals he was sacked 57 times. But, he is not a great decision-maker, and he sits on the ball entirely too long. He has decent mobility to extend plays, and adequate but not great velocity -- so he can put it where it needs to be in intermediate and short passing situations, but if he has make any kind of throw across his body or against his momentum, it's going to end in tears for everyone except the opposing team's defense.

He isn't a tremendous upgrade over Fitzpatrick (it's really a lateral move; their statistics compare pretty well to each other), but they saved a lot of money by choosing him and cutting Fitzpatrick, and his play is adequate given the money saved.

That being said, there's got to be some injury concern on the Bills' part, because Kolb has yet to reach double-digit starts in any season. He's also going from throwing to Larry Fitzgerald to throwing to Stevie Johnson ... which is a downgrade any way you look at it.
Old April 2 2013, 12:27 AM   #155
chrisspringob
Commodore

Matt Flynn is indeed headed to Oakland, in exchange for a 2014 draft pick and conditional 2015 draft pick:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...carson-palmer/

The Seattle Seahawks and Oakland Raiders are completing a deal today that will send quarterback Matt Flynn to the Raiders in exchange for a fifth-round 2014 draft pick and a conditional pick in 2015.

In Flynn, the Raiders acquire a quarterback who will earn roughly half as much in 2013 as Carson Palmer, whom the team is close to trading to Arizona for a late-round pick, according to Yahoo’s Mike Silver. Fox Sports’ Jay Glazer first reported the Flynn deal.
As they say, looks like the previous speculation about Palmer being cut was incorrect. He's instead being traded to Arizona:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...picks/2042507/

The second expected trade of a quarterback Monday is about to go down. The Oakland Raiders are finalizing an agreement to send Carson Palmer to the Arizona Cardinals, a person informed of the talks between the sides told USA TODAY Sports.

The person, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the trade isn't yet complete, said the teams discussed a swap of late-round picks in 2013 while the Raiders would also pick up another Day 3 draft selection.

As part of the agreement, the person said Palmer will sign a reworked deal with the Cardinals that will pay him $8 million this season along with incentives that will allow him to potentially earn more money.
Old April 2 2013, 12:50 AM   #156
tighr
Commodore

chrisspringob wrote: View Post
As they say, looks like the previous speculation about Palmer being cut was incorrect. He's instead being traded to Arizona:
Well, at least Palmer's getting a HOF receiver. Still no good news on the defense, though!

I knew they wouldn't cut him, though. It'd be lost value.
Old April 2 2013, 02:34 AM   #157
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Colt McCoy is headed to the 49ers to be Kaep's back up. Not sure how I feel about that. Maybe I should just shrug it off, but it is news. Still looking forward to seeing this rivalry between SF and Seattle Flourish for years to come.
Old April 2 2013, 02:52 AM   #158
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
Colt McCoy is headed to the 49ers to be Kaep's back up. Not sure how I feel about that. Maybe I should just shrug it off, but it is news.
McCoy certainly isn't elite (if he were, he'd be starting somewhere), but he's a serviceable quarterback. It was a necessary move for San Francisco, in any event -- with Kaepernick's style, he's going to take a lot of hits, there just isn't any question about that whatsoever. McCoy can run a read-option offense, which is what the 49ers have hitched their train to, so it makes sense to go with a backup who has that experience. The biggest knock on McCoy is that his arm is dogshit, so any deep routes would be out (and even intermediate routes would be in trouble), but they've got Frank Gore to keep defenses honest.

In any event, I imagine they'll draft for QB depth, as well, despite this year's quarterback crop offering something between jack and shit.

Last edited by Timby; April 2 2013 at 03:05 AM.
Old April 4 2013, 07:48 PM   #159
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

tighr wrote: View Post
Oakland is stupid. Palmer may not be the greatest qb ever, but he's a veteran and there are probably half a dozen teams who would sign him in a heartbeat.
This, my friend, is no reason to keep a player who is old (-der) with a salary that is taking up so much of the cap as his was. The Raiders did try to keep him, but at a more cap friendly salary.

Palmer has thrown 30 interceptions while with the Raiders, against only 35 touchdowns. Many of those interceptions came not because of a an offensive lineman's screw-up, but from just plain bad judgement.

As presently constructed, the Raiders' margin for error could not, and will not, accommodate Carson's negative proclivities.

In other words, he wasn't the quarterback for us, though he may be fine for a team with at least one great receiver.

No, the stupid move would have been to keep Palmer, especially at the same salary.
Old April 7 2013, 03:18 AM   #160
gblews
Rear Admiral

More good stuff from the Raiders. They release idiot linebacker, Rolando McClain, one of the dumbest players they've ever drafted and consequently, also one of the biggest busts. They have signed Nick Roach, formerly with Chicago, as his replacement. I don't know anything about Roach except that there can be no possible way he could be as dumb as McClain which makes him an automatic upgrade.

I like what Reggie is doing so far this off season -- on paper at least.
Old April 7 2013, 03:52 AM   #161
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

That signing actually happened on March 15.

Anyway, Roach is a very capable linebacker (he filled in for both Lance Briggs and Brian Urlacher when they spent time injured) and a pretty solid starter. The biggest knock on him is that he tends to have lapses in focus -- gimmick offensive formations absolutely baffle him -- and he isn't terribly fast, so he isn't a guy you use as support against a speedy receiver. Solid pickup by the Raiders, though, and it's definitely a loss for the Bears, who are hurting for LB depth.
Old April 9 2013, 08:27 PM   #162
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Somewhere along the eastern seaboard, Timby's blood pressure just shot through the roof....

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/4/9...inals-interest
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
Old April 9 2013, 09:32 PM   #163
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

1001001 wrote: View Post
Somewhere along the eastern seaboard, Timby's blood pressure just shot through the roof....

what

no

go away you fat fuck

you are not good at football

GO THE FUCK AWAY, JAMARCUS. WE DO NOT WANT YOU. YOUR SERVICES ARE NOT REQUIRED OR REQUESTED. GET FUCKED.
Old April 10 2013, 07:51 PM   #164
gblews
Rear Admiral

I don't even know what to say about this. He's trying to get down to 270??? Good lord.

You sure can't blame the teams who wanted his workouts for them to be in private. No one wants to be seen appearing to believe Jamarcus can actually play.

If it was just his laziness at issue, well thats one thing, but there are also the alleged drug issues to boot. I mean, even if he looks great, you can't just ignore the other stuff.

I wouldn't want him on my team, but then again, my team already had him once so I might be a tad biased.
Old April 11 2013, 07:06 AM   #165
Sheep
Vice Admiral

The Bears do need some offensive linemen...