Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 28 2013, 05:48 PM   #2236
Borgminister

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2013

Network TV is free, Netflix is fee. Unless by network TV you are including HBO, etc., in which case the same applies.
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 05:52 PM   #2237
RAMA
Vice Admiral

[QUOTE=DarthTom;7864762]
JD wrote: View Post
Belbo wrote: View Post
That is one hell of a combo. I'm definitely interested.
Me as well. I wonder how Netflix makes this financially viable whereas network TV cannot seem to 'afford,' these types of shows? Makes no sense.
Netflix is bigger than any network, it even says so in it's own advertising.

RAMA
Old March 28 2013, 05:58 PM   #2238
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Borgminister wrote: View Post
Network TV is free, Netflix is fee. Unless by network TV you are including HBO, etc., in which case the same applies.
Yea, but it isn't much of a fee, only $9 for both in the mail and streaming and $7 for just streaming.

So splitting the difference at $8 times their subscriber base monthly, gives them $224 million a month in gross revenues but that has to support licensing for all of their other programming which is subsantial.

But, apparnelty they can afford it.

Edited to add. For comparison purposes, CBS raked in $227 million for the Superbowl. And that's 5 hours of programming for one show.

Yahoo
Streaming:
— 25.1 million in U.S., gain of 1.16 million during the third quarter
— 4.3 million outside the U.S., gain of 687,000
— 29.4 million total, gain of 1.85 million
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2013, 08:10 AM   #2239
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Casting news for the Once Upon a Time spinoff called Once: Wonderland

Michael Socha Cast as the Knave of Hearts

Sophie Lowe cast as Alice , Peter Gadiot cast as Cyrus
Old April 4 2013, 05:18 AM   #2240
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Emma Rigby Cast In ABC’s ‘Once Upon A Time’ Spinoff As Red Queen

The spinoff has been given a new name. I's now called Once Upon A Time in Wonderland instead of Once: Wonderland.
Old April 4 2013, 07:44 PM   #2241
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Not interested in the OUAT spinoff (and without Sebastian Stan bringing in his fanbase, I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope for it, assuming it ever gets to air) but the Wachowski-Straczynski collaboration interests me a lot!

Netflix will allow them to have quite a bit of creative freedom since they probably can get by with 2-3M viewers, which means they can appeal to oddball niche tastes and create something unique.

As for the broadcast vs Netflix debate, keep in mind that Netflix is in the brand-building phase of its existence and might consider HoC an investment in their future as opposed to making $$$ right now. Netflix needed something that demonstrated they can play with the big boys, and they did that. Wall Street loved them for it. Mission accomplished.

The game is far from over and I expect Amazon to counterpunch with something big (haven't seen indications of that yet), but Netflix has opened up a big lead in the image/branding contest.

So it's not at all Netflix vs broadcast but rather Netflix vs Amazon vs some other major competitor who might be launched with a lot of money behind it, because now everyone must be aware that either Netflix or a competitor is the future of TV, and nobody can afford to be left behind.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 08:39 PM   #2242
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post

So it's not at all Netflix vs broadcast but rather Netflix vs Amazon vs some other major competitor who might be launched with a lot of money behind it, because now everyone must be aware that either Netflix or a competitor is the future of TV, and nobody can afford to be left behind.
I'm surprised that Apple hasn't jumped in as well. They've got several hundred billion in the bank right now and Wall Street has not been thrilled lately with their lack of creativity since Jobs passed away.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 11:40 PM   #2243
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Yeah Apple or Google could spoil the party pretty quickly...

What I don't like about NFLX, is that contrary to the bull thesis, there are no significant barriers to entry. In fact, I do not view the NFLX moat as wide at all. It's really a matter of other companies deciding to spend just a bit more money for content. Moreover, I'm very confident if not outright positive that either AAPL or GOOG or both will create content delivery services for video that will be "good enough" or even superior to what NFLX is currently doing. When that is evident, NFLX will be fighting for not just growth but its very survival. Back to that in a minute.

What I do like about NFLX is that again, they do have a big lead in how they package the service and how much content they provide. While this costs them a lot of money and future payment guarantees, it's also "The Thing" that the competition has thus far not been willing to match. Contrary to what many think, I find the company's moxy to pay the premium dollars for the content has given NFLX its decided edge.

With regard to AAPL, I'm nearly certain that the new TV will not only come with gesture/touch based controls as I first described well over a year ago (see my report on Apple TV) but more importantly, AAPL TV could likely come with a new video streaming and content delivery powered by my predicted "media content search" capability. And the day this happens, I personally would not want to be long NFLX stock and in fact, I plan on being short the name.

The bottom line, NFLX has a great service for a great price and what looks like a strong lead. But I don't view that lead (or moat) being nearly as large as many of the bulls currently believe. And we might only be a few months away from seeing a true platform competitor for NFLX.
Old April 5 2013, 01:26 AM   #2244
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

WTF SyFy...

The untitled project, from Fox TV Studios and Ross Fineman’s FtvS-based Fineman Entertainment, starts off with a meteorite striking a plane. The only two survivors find themselves sleepwalking and waking up with no memory of their actions. On the run from the government, they must figure out what happened to them and prove their innocence.
So wait...the government thinks they brought down the plane using a meteorite, which somehow also caused them to sleepwalk? Sounds like the kind of TV show my brain creates when I go to sleep after eating too much pizza.
Old April 5 2013, 04:48 AM   #2245
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Paul Reubens To Voice The White Rabbit In ABC’s Wonderland-Themed ‘Once’ Spinoff
Old April 5 2013, 11:14 AM   #2246
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

I hope he uses his Peewee voice.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2013, 03:14 PM   #2247
Christopher
Writer

^Reubens has a lot more to his range than that. He's done effective voice work as a rather malevolent Bat-Mite on Batman: The Brave and the Bold and as the even more malevolent Pavel on TRON: Uprising. I'd rather hear him expand his range even further than demand that he limit himself to a role he was known for decades ago. (Not that I have any interest in the show he'll be doing.)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2013, 08:38 PM   #2248
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

Christopher wrote: View Post
^Reubens has a lot more to his range than that. He's done effective voice work as a rather malevolent Bat-Mite on Batman: The Brave and the Bold and as the even more malevolent Pavel on TRON: Uprising. I'd rather hear him expand his range even further than demand that he limit himself to a role he was known for decades ago. (Not that I have any interest in the show he'll be doing.)
I know he has range, I just think the Peewee voice is funny.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 06:49 AM   #2249
JD
Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
WTF SyFy...

The untitled project, from Fox TV Studios and Ross Fineman’s FtvS-based Fineman Entertainment, starts off with a meteorite striking a plane. The only two survivors find themselves sleepwalking and waking up with no memory of their actions. On the run from the government, they must figure out what happened to them and prove their innocence.
So wait...the government thinks they brought down the plane using a meteorite, which somehow also caused them to sleepwalk? Sounds like the kind of TV show my brain creates when I go to sleep after eating too much pizza.
Yeah, not quite sure what to make of that. What exactly do government agents and sleepwalking have to do with a meteorite? Usually I try to give SyFy the benefit of the doubt but what they've revealed here doesn't even make sense.
Old April 6 2013, 08:50 AM   #2250
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

I think the deal there is that a meteorite really brought down the plane but the government thinks it was a terrorist attack. This stuff is written by PR hacks so they may be somewhat off in describing the premise. The original description for Revolution said that all forms of energy stopped working which isn't the case since people are still alive and fires still ignite.