TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old April 4 2013, 06:28 PM   #76
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Re: 50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

Photoman15 wrote: View Post
Mr Awe wrote: View Post

So, basically because the actors look older, you'd dump them? Wow, what a caring fellow you must be. My god, they have wrinkles and grey hair! We don't want to see that! Sheesh.

Just wait until you get older, maybe someone will stick you in a closet so they don't have to look at you?

These are the actors that helped make the show what it is today.

And, they can be included wisely. Obviously if you jam the story with too many it could be bad. But, I trust Moffatt and figure he'll work some of them in in such away that works for the story.

Mr Awe
Except we're talking about characters that we know what they looked like when they "died" and they don't look like that now.
Exactly, that's why I don't want the bakers or Davidson back.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 06:37 PM   #77
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Green Lantern wrote: View Post

So, basically because the actors look older, you'd dump them? Wow, what a caring fellow you must be. My god, they have wrinkles and grey hair! We don't want to see that! Sheesh.

Just wait until you get older, maybe someone will stick you in a closet so they don't have to look at you?

And, they can be included wisely. Obviously if you jam the story with too many it could be bad. But, I trust Moffatt and figure he'll work some of them in in such away that works for the story.

Mr Awe
Except we're talking about characters that we know what they looked like when they "died" and they don't look like that now.
I honestly don't see the problem at all with Davison (Note the lack of a second "D"), he was completely recognizable in Time Crash his hair's a bit thinner and he's a bit heavier, no big deal. The Bakers, yea, they've changed quite a bit, but, give them wigs (no, not, big curly haired blonde and bunette wigs, just grey, with close cropped curly hair would be fine. Wouldn't want to make clowns ot of them) and give them their costumes (Colin could wear the solid blue coat, no need to give him the Technicolor coat) and they would totally be recognizable

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 06:41 PM   #78
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
give them their costumes (Colin could wear the solid blue coat, no need to give him the Technicolor coat) and they would totally be recognizable
I doubt Baker would be going off what he looked like the lst time I saw him on the telly - it would be a sad sight like when they trot out the Star Trek actors in their old uniforms.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 06:46 PM   #79
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Time differential.
EXCEPT.... that would have to include 11 and 10 together, so 10 would look "older", but from the photos from on-set, he's not in any aged make-up.
Old April 4 2013, 06:49 PM   #80
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Anti Gravity bike returns

Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 06:53 PM   #81
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Time differential.
EXCEPT.... that would have to include 11 and 10 together, so 10 would look "older", but from the photos from on-set, he's not in any aged make-up.
Wellll he could use his sonic. It's Doctor Who alright? The point is that the whole thing can be solved in one sentence and it only has to make sense emotionally and dramatically but certainly not nitpickingly.
Old April 4 2013, 06:56 PM   #82
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

We never got a good look at the sixth before he did. We just know he still had the hair, and perhaps had shrunk....
Old April 4 2013, 07:14 PM   #83
Tom
Rear Admiral

The Stig wrote: View Post

Mr Awe
Not so much, no. As I said, the actors that made the show what it is today are being included, save the one who didn't agree to appear. The previous incarnation of Who has very little to do with this one.
I disagree, if the classic show had made a wrong turn and was canceled in 79 vs 89 lets say, would we have NO new series today, or at least something quite different. The classic series did build to where the new series took off from. This is the 50th anniversary special in which there was 8 years of the new series and 26 years of the classic series, and to not have any representation at all from those 26 years (beyond a returning monster) is really a crime for us long time Doctor Who fans ( I have been a fan since 83 myself). I don't want all the classic doctors just give me one of them,and at best, 2 Classic doctors. Mcgann and McCoy could still pull it off with out the 'time differential' excuse.

Owner - TrekUnited.com - Forum now re-open! click here
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 07:15 PM   #84
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Rarewolf wrote: View Post

We never got a good look at the sixth before he did. We just know he still had the hair, and perhaps had shrunk....
He shrunk because Mel was feeding him nothing but Carrot Juice and had the TARDIS rewired to be powered solely by the exercise bike

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 07:39 PM   #85
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

I think it would compromise the quality of the story. Yes it would be nice to get all the doctor back together, but the quality of the story would be poor and as I said, it would be overcrowded.
Why are you stuck on ALL of them. I'd be happy if the classic Doctors were represented. That doesn't mean all of them necessarily.

Oh for goodness sake, you're making me sound like a mean bastard (ok I am a mean bastard, but... :P).
I just paraphrased your own arugments.

I just think people should realize that of course the actors have grown older. That's natural. But, they shouldn't be excluded from the anniversary special because of it.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 07:48 PM   #86
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Mr Awe
Not so much, no. As I said, the actors that made the show what it is today are being included, save the one who didn't agree to appear. The previous incarnation of Who has very little to do with this one.
Seriously?! Wow, you hear some crazy things on the Internet!

So, if the classic series hadn't happened we'd still have the current Doctor Who series?

Mr Awe
Old April 4 2013, 07:50 PM   #87
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Time differential.
Wellll he could use his sonic. It's Doctor Who alright? The point is that the whole thing can be solved in one sentence and it only has to make sense emotionally and dramatically but certainly not nitpickingly.
Yep, it's actually very simple. And, viewers will know the real reason anyway!

Mr Awe
Old April 4 2013, 07:56 PM   #88
davejames
Vice Admiral

I'd certainly like to see the other Doctors, and I'd be disappointed if we didn't see them. But I'm not going to get all angry and pissed off and call for Moffat's head if it doesn't happen.

That's an element of fandom that I just don't understand at all.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 09:17 PM   #89
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

I honestly don't see the problem at all with Davison (Note the lack of a second "D"), he was completely recognizable in Time Crash his hair's a bit thinner and he's a bit heavier, no big deal. The Bakers, yea, they've changed quite a bit, but, give them wigs (no, not, big curly haired blonde and bunette wigs, just grey, with close cropped curly hair would be fine. Wouldn't want to make clowns ot of them) and give them their costumes (Colin could wear the solid blue coat, no need to give him the Technicolor coat) and they would totally be recognizable
To be quite honest, Davidson along with Hartnel is my least favourite doctor, so there's already some bias there, I will admit. I'm not saying he's not unrecognisable, but he's changed significantly. Oh, and that time crash, not really a big fan of that at all. I hate little charity 5 minute clips, I like full episodes, and the story was boring. The explanation for him being there was shitty too, if Davidson managed to get on the new tardis and aged about 3 or so years, where are his companions, and surely this would have affected the tardis's appearance. With Collin, Id probably use either that red and purple coat he used in that plat or something in the nineties, or a dulled down version of his regular one. But really, I don't want too many doctors coming back. Two-four is what I want.

Tom wrote: View Post

Mr Awe
I disagree, if the classic show had made a wrong turn and was canceled in 79 vs 89 lets say, would we have NO new series today, or at least something quite different. The classic series did build to where the new series took off from. This is the 50th anniversary special in which there was 8 years of the new series and 26 years of the classic series, and to not have any representation at all from those 26 years (beyond a returning monster) is really a crime for us long time Doctor Who fans ( I have been a fan since 83 myself). I don't want all the classic doctors just give me one of them,and at best, 2 Classic doctors. Mcgann and McCoy could still pull it off with out the 'time differential' excuse.
I hate that stupid time differential excuse. But yeah, McCoy and McGann could easily pull it off, which is why I'd maybe even quite like them to come back.

He shrunk because Mel was feeding him nothing but Carrot Juice and had the TARDIS rewired to be powered solely by the exercise bike
LOL!
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2013, 02:02 AM   #90
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

*Ok, even if the excuse is good enough, do you really want Collin Baker back wearing that awful coat as an 80 or something year old man? A portly figure dressed as a clown?
Colin. And yes. Yes, I do absolutely and without reservation want Colin Baker back.
To be quite honest, Davidson along with Hartnel is my least favourite doctor, so there's already some bias there, I will admit.
I'm not sure what to think right now. You're not only replying to, but QUOTING, a post which provides the correct spelling of the actor, and you screw it up again.

Then "Collin" and "Hartnel" ... then throw in your complete disrespect for fans of the classic series, shown in one post after another, and I'm beginning to wonder if you're just some troll who is here hoping to stir up trouble? I hope not, but time (and the mods) will tell.