CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old April 4 2013, 04:59 PM   #1
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Kirk's first encounter with bumpy-headed Klingons

I have a vague recollection of a novel set during TOS, where Kirk for the first time saw a bumpy-headed Klingon. IIRC, the author took the liberty of giving this Klingon yellow catlike eyes too - which was somewhat jarring, coming to it after seeing the TMP-and-beyond Klingon look so thoroughly established in TV and film Trek.

Does anyone remember the book? Please tell me this isn't a figment of my imagination, like that TNG/Tholian novel I asked about several months ago.
Old April 4 2013, 05:23 PM   #2
chris_masters5
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Kirk's first encounter with bumpy-headed Klingons

I haven't read many TOS novels but I've been adding books to my list to read and Faces of Fire by Michael Jan Friedman has a movie era Klingon with 5yr mission Kirk on the front cover - could be this one?
chris_masters5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 05:35 PM   #3
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

There is a bumpy headed klingon in one of the My Brothers Keeper books. Don't remember any other details.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 06:37 PM   #4
Christopher
Writer

chris_masters5 wrote: View Post
I haven't read many TOS novels but I've been adding books to my list to read and Faces of Fire by Michael Jan Friedman has a movie era Klingon with 5yr mission Kirk on the front cover - could be this one?
No -- Kirk is actually on a different planet when the Klingons raid the colony and doesn't meet them face-to-face. And there's no mention in the book of anyone finding the Klingons' appearance unusual for the species.

However, a later Friedman novel, My Brother's Keeper: Enterprise, shows Kirk encountering a genetically engineered breed of Klingons who are more savage than the norm, and it's implied (though I don't think it's stated outright) that this was the origin of the ridged Klingons (since it came out before ENT established the official origin). This might be what the OP is thinking of.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 11:25 PM   #5
Relayer1
Commodore

Δ I'll put that down to a botched Klingon attempt to reverse the genetic problem...
Old April 5 2013, 12:33 AM   #6
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Thanks guys, I'll check those out.
Old April 11 2013, 01:13 PM   #7
Markonian
Captain

King Daniel wrote: View Post
Does anyone remember the book? Please tell me this isn't a figment of my imagination, like that TNG/Tholian novel I asked about several months ago.
I might be mistaken, but I think there is a story where the Enterprise-D encounters the Tholian from The Tholian Web again and because of their long life span, Loskene actually believes it is the very same Enterprise he encountered previously.
Old April 11 2013, 01:48 PM   #8
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Markonian wrote: View Post
I might be mistaken, but I think there is a story where the Enterprise-D encounters the Tholian from The Tholian Web again and because of their long life span, Loskene actually believes it is the very same Enterprise he encountered previously.
IIRC, it might have been Vendetta.
Old April 13 2013, 10:07 PM   #9
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

This isn't Timetrap is it?
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 10:12 PM   #10
Christopher
Writer

No, Timetrap is set in the post-TMP era, so Kirk would've at least seen ridged Klingons on the Epsilon 9 image feed, if not earlier. (In fact, it has a reference to Kirk needing reading glasses, which suggests it might be an Enterprise-A-era story, though the Pocket timeline puts in in 2276.)

Old April 13 2013, 11:04 PM   #11
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
No, Timetrap is set in the post-TMP era, so Kirk would've at least seen ridged Klingons on the Epsilon 9 image feed, if not earlier. (In fact, it has a reference to Kirk needing reading glasses, which suggests it might be an Enterprise-A-era story, though the Pocket timeline puts in in 2276.)
McCoy gave Kirk the reading glasses in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan as a birthday present. TWOK is clearly before the E-A shows up (Kirk even had the glasses in 1986 San Francisco, minus the lenses, before he got command of the A).
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 11:22 PM   #12
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

bullethead wrote: View Post
Markonian wrote: View Post
IIRC, it might have been Vendetta.
Yeah, it was I remember that scene.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2013, 12:18 AM   #13
ATimson
Rear Admiral

tomswift2002 wrote: View Post
McCoy gave Kirk the reading glasses in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan as a birthday present. TWOK is clearly before the E-A shows up (Kirk even had the glasses in 1986 San Francisco, minus the lenses, before he got command of the A).
Right. Until he received that first pair from McCoy, reading glasses probably wouldn't be something Kirk thought he needed - else why wouldn't he have gotten them for himself already? So if there's such a reference, I'd think it's more likely to be post-TWOK.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2013, 12:39 AM   #14
Jarvisimo
Commander

Surely it is entirely possible there was no 'encounter' - merely that bumpy and non-bumpy Klingons were a common facet of their society: appearing in the media, as ambassadors, in art, etc, from his childhood onwards. There was no actual encounter - just as much of an awareness of physical difference as a child growing up today is aware of different human races?
Jarvisimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2013, 12:48 AM   #15
Christopher
Writer

tomswift2002 wrote: View Post
Uhh, yes, that is of course the whole point -- that if Kirk needs glasses in the novel, it must be after TWOK. But it also has Kirk at captain's rank and has him, Spock, and the rest of the crew aboard the Enterprise, and the only way that can happen after TWOK is if it's also after TVH.