New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old April 4 2013, 04:22 AM   #46
Saito S
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to Saito S
Re: Life Purpose

Australis wrote: View Post
ID: having someone to share stuff, life, with is really important.

That said, right now I wish I was alone.
That doesn't sound so good. Hope whatever situation that refers to improves!

I'm like teya, I'm kind of enjoying being alone in some ways. For the moment, anyway. Will I suddenly find myself wanting very much to not be alone at some point down the road? I couldn't say.
But I digress.

My life purpose: to tell stories. That's it. Nearly there.
Same here, heh. I'm really not "nearly there", though, because my problem is FINISHING stuff, so I don't have much of anything in a presentable form. Yet. But that's how I'd answer the question: to tell stories and create worlds, and then put em out there for others to see.

Musings and randomness
My solitary Trek fic
Saito S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 04:28 AM   #47
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

Saito S wrote: View Post
Australis wrote: View Post
My life purpose: to tell stories. That's it. Nearly there.
Same here, heh. I'm really not "nearly there", though, because my problem is FINISHING stuff, so I don't have much of anything in a presentable form. Yet. But that's how I'd answer the question: to tell stories and create worlds, and then put em out there for others to see.
Best of luck with that! For years I was in the same boat ... having lots of ideas, never able to finish any of them. I was only able to do so by setting aside time, every day ... and sacrificing a few other things in the process.

I have to say, though, while it's quite the rush to actually finish a project ... the next challenge, "putting it out there for others to see," is almost as difficult!
Old April 4 2013, 08:02 AM   #48
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

thumbtack wrote: View Post
Have you tried relentless internet complaining re every conceivable topic that comes to mind?

This seems to have given many American gentlemen a sense of purpose.
Yeah, that's definitely something that only Americans do.
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
IndyJones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 08:09 AM   #49
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

IndyJones wrote: View Post
thumbtack wrote: View Post
Have you tried relentless internet complaining re every conceivable topic that comes to mind?

This seems to have given many American gentlemen a sense of purpose.
Yeah, that's definitely something that only Americans do.
It's all the crappy mass produced beer they drink. That would give anyone gassy ructions.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 08:24 AM   #50
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I don't know if love is the answer, but it is definitely a battlefield.
Actually it's a rose, but you'd better not pick it.
Old April 4 2013, 02:38 PM   #51
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^Because every rose has its thorn.

teya wrote: View Post

Heh. I'm actually enjoying being alone right now.
Yeah, I never felt the urge to have someone to complete my life. I always enjoyed being alone. It's only in the past year that I've even developed an interest in serious dating, but I'm pretty certain that's the biological clock fucking with my thoughts.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 05:40 PM   #52
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

I agree that you have to find (or create) your own purpose, and it varies from one individual to another. It can be as profound as devoting one's life to faith in a higher being or as earthly as the pursuit of wealth. To me, it's about helping others, having the love of friends and family, and enjoying life.
Old April 4 2013, 10:06 PM   #53
Toxteth O´Grady
Captain

My life's purpose is the only thing that's ever made any sense for me. The one thing that comes the most naturally to me and that is telling stories. Either writing them for a book or just going on and on to somebody else about something that happened to me, I always enjoy telling a tale.

My attention span ain't that big, but I could sit down and write for hours. And when I'm not writing I'm constantly brainstorming in my head.

At age 30 I've never had any interest in dating or finding somebody to share my life with. Who knows if I'll continue to think that way? But it's definitely not my life's purpose.
Toxteth O´Grady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 04:52 AM   #54
propita
Rear Admiral

I've concluded that my purpose is to provide support--I don't do the "fantastic things" in life, I help others do that. I've helped numerous people while a student in various classes, whether it was helping put my hisband through pahrmacy school, the computer networking program I took, GE courses working towards my Bachelor's, or through law school. Some of them literally would not have passed whatever the class or program was. They are the ones to do the big visible things, I'm the catalyst that helped them get to do it.

Lately, I've been focusing on my husband's needs more. He's under a lot of stress. But I'm looking into tutoring at my law school.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 05:03 AM   #55
Kestra
Vice Admiral

propita wrote: View Post
I've concluded that my purpose is to provide support
I can definitely identify with this. I don't think I'll ever be anything that great myself, but I like supporting other people in reaching their goals. It doesn't even have to be anything incredible; I simply like supporting people in their lives. I dedicated a lot of myself to my husband so that part is getting reshuffled but I don't think I'd ever call that my purpose anyway. The purpose I've given myself is simply to help people, and better myself along the way.

Also the world is far too curious a place for me to ever get bored.
Old April 8 2013, 05:30 PM   #56
propita
Rear Admiral

sidious618 wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post
You may have dysthymia which is a low grade and persistent depression that makes it difficult to feel really happy or joyful or satisfied with things. It doesn't always get medical attention because it doesn't tend to bring about major crisis. Many people feel like something is missing or they are not connecting the way others do, but as they are able to plod along they can be at a loss as to what, if anything, is wrong.
I have that. It's a pain.
Me, too! Diagnosed at age 43. Nice to finally learn that my problems were not "my fault" but physiological. Just knowing that, added to all the efforts I had been making all along, gave me a boost. Too bad it all coincided with undertreated hypothyroidism--which I am FINALLY seeing an endocrinologist about. He said I should've been treated at a much higher dose FIVE years earlier!!

If you have no purpose in life, make one, no matter how small it may seem to you. I knew an old lady in the neighborhood--her purpose seemed to be walking the area a couple of times a day and clearing the gutters of the leaves blocking them, and telling the same three unfunny, slightly-racist jokes year after year. Yet when she passed, everyone missed her presence as a fixture in the neighborhood.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 11:12 AM   #57
Collingwood Nick
Vice Admiral

I'm rather bored tonight, I need a new purpose. Euler's Identity is stuck in my head. I think I want to spray paint it somewhere.
Old April 9 2013, 11:20 AM   #58
Relayer1
Commodore

There is no purpose to life - its just random chance that we are here.

Having said that, we are programmed by evolution to seek food, warmth, comfort and to reproduce.

No big secret...
Old April 9 2013, 01:17 PM   #59
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Collingwood Nick wrote: View Post
I'm rather bored tonight, I need a new purpose. Euler's Identity is stuck in my head. I think I want to spray paint it somewhere.
'

You should totally do it.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 10:54 PM   #60
Collingwood Nick
Vice Admiral

It would improve the quality of the graffiti around here a hundredfold.