Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old April 1 2013, 07:58 AM   #1
t_smitts
Commander

One-time Trek guest stars you'd like to see interviewed

While every regular and pretty much every recurring player on the various shows have been interviewed multiple times for various magazines and websites, I'm always interested in what some of the more memorable guest actors, either for a single episode or two or three-part arc, have to say about their roles on the show.

There's a few I'd love to see interviewed and asked about their guest spot on the shows

(Obviously, I'm talking about living actors, not ones you'd need a Ouija board to reach).

-Bob Gunton (Maxwell)
-Frank Langella (Jaro)
-Harris Yulin (Marritza)
-Stephen McHattie (Vreenak)
-Kevin Conway (Kahless)
-Terry O'Quinn (Admiral Pressman)
-Paul Sorvino (Nikolai)
-Kelsey Grammer (Bateson)
-Beth Touissant (Ishara)
-Christopher McDonald (Castillo)
-Famke Janssen (Kamala)
-Patrick Massett (Duras)
-Lawrence Pressman (Ghemor)
-James Sloyan (Jarok/Mora)
-Bill Bolender (The Albino)
-John Vickery (Rusot)
-Clarence Williams III (Omet'iklan)
t_smitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 04:20 PM   #2
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar
Re: One-time Trek guest stars you'd like to see interviewed

t_smitts wrote: View Post
-John Vickery (Rusot)
John Vickery cannot be on your list. By your own definition, the actor (or actress) can only have played a single character in up to a three-episode arc. John planed three characters on three series - a Betazed in TNG, a Cardassian in DS9, and a Klingon in the Abomination.

Sloyan had even more characters, including the Bajoran scientist who Odo tried to copy. He was also a Romulan on TNG, something on Voyager, and an adult Alexander on TNG.

For actual one-time guests, I'd like to see David Ogden Stiers - Timicin - interviewed.
Old April 1 2013, 04:58 PM   #3
yousirname
Commander

Saul Rubinek. Especially interesting because he doesn't normally do TV.
Hallie Todd (Lal), too. That must have been a challenging role.
yousirname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 05:07 PM   #4
OmahaStar

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

yousirname wrote: View Post
Saul Rubinek. Especially interesting because he doesn't normally do TV.
That may have changed. He's been on Warehouse 13 for years now. Last year, he and Brent Spiner had a reunion on that show. He's still fun to watch, even with BS tagging along.

Hallie Todd (Lal), too. That must have been a challenging role.
Having met her, I have to agree. She is so bubbly and fun, so full of life and always cracking jokes. With Lal, she had to tone everything down. And still, it worked wonderfully.
Old April 1 2013, 05:12 PM   #5
yousirname
Commander

OmahaStar wrote: View Post
That may have changed. He's been on Warehouse 13 for years now. Last year, he and Brent Spiner had a reunion on that show. He's still fun to watch, even with BS tagging along.
I guess it has changed. I even remember reading about that somewhere, how Spiner and he were on the same show.
yousirname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 06:42 PM   #6
OmahaStar

yousirname wrote: View Post
I guess it has changed. I even remember reading about that somewhere, how Spiner and he were on the same show.
I'm glad I gave the show a chance ... eventually. I heard the plot of the series and figured "well, it's on sci-fi, so it's probably going to suck ..." and tuned in to an early episode. It only confirmed that opinion. A few years go by, and suddenly I'm hearing from all over the place how good the show is, how fun it is, and I give it a second chance. It would have been just before the Ashmore twin joined the cast. And yeah, it is tons of fun. Thanks to that, I have seen the Spiner episodes, and those two still play off each other brilliantly.

Spiner has range outside Data. Who knew?
Old April 1 2013, 08:53 PM   #7
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier

Rubinek had a rather extensive recurring role in the middle-late seasons of "Fraiser" so he's been doing TV on a more regular basis for quite a while...

Also, Lawrence Pressmen (Ghemor) can't be on the list either. Ghemor was seen twice on DS9, but he also played a Starfleet Admiral at one point I think, and he was the Changeling Odo killed in the 3rd season finale.

Likewise, Frank Langella's role was for 2 or 3 episodes so... does it count as one-off?

I have read repeatedly that Langella did the role on DS9 specifically as a favor to his kids, who where big fans of Trek. They wanted him to do something on Trek, he did that, I don't think he was credited officially (by choice) for it and... that's all that's written about it.

I think I read an interview with O'Quinn in which he mentioned his TNG appearance. He was talking about how he had done it, and so had Daniel Dae Kim (this was during "Lost") and someone else had also and... it's a vague memory of it being mentioned.

Kelsey Grammer - it's reported he cell-phoned in a vocal cameo for "First Contact" during the distress sequence audio. He apparently said "Acknowledged" after some orders where issued to "Defiant and Bozeman, fall back to mobile position 10" or some such (I can't remember the exact line, even though I've seen the film 135 times) so would that break the one-time rule? :P

Sloyan would be interesting. He did the voice-overs for that one car company, Infinity maybe, for the better part of a decade, didn't he? He's impossible to find a decent photo of. I know, I looked, wanted to have him in an Ultimately Human photo special back in the day. Could not find anything.

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 10:03 PM   #8
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Clancy Brown. He's never been shy about genre films (even doing Frankenstein's monster), and he's done good guys, scarey bad guys, drama, comedy, and is always worth watching in a scene.
--Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
Melakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 11:38 PM   #9
DS9forever
Fleet Captain

Interviews with Howard Shangraw (Tolar in "In the Pale Moonlight") and David Birney (Senator Letant in "Tears of the Prophets") would be cool.
DS9forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2013, 01:23 AM   #10
The Wormhole
Admiral

Sloyan had even more characters, including the Bajoran scientist who Odo tried to copy. He was also a Romulan on TNG, something on Voyager, and an adult Alexander on TNG.
James Sloyan was also the alien scientist Jetrel in the Voyager episode of the same name.

Also, Stephen McHattie has had two roles in Trek. He also played an alien mine foreman in the Enterprise episode The Xindi.
Old April 3 2013, 04:38 AM   #11
Finn
Vice Admiral

t_smitts wrote: View Post
While every regular and pretty much every recurring player on the various shows have been interviewed multiple times for various magazines and websites, I'm always interested in what some of the more memorable guest actors, either for a single episode or two or three-part arc, have to say about their roles on the show.

There's a few I'd love to see interviewed and asked about their guest spot on the shows

(Obviously, I'm talking about living actors, not ones you'd need a Ouija board to reach).

-Bob Gunton (Maxwell)
-Frank Langella (Jaro)
-Harris Yulin (Marritza)
-Stephen McHattie (Vreenak)
-Kevin Conway (Kahless)
-Terry O'Quinn (Admiral Pressman)
-Paul Sorvino (Nikolai)
-Kelsey Grammer (Bateson)
-Beth Touissant (Ishara)
-Christopher McDonald (Castillo)
-Famke Janssen (Kamala)
-Patrick Massett (Duras)
-Lawrence Pressman (Ghemor)
-Bill Bolender (The Albino)
-John Vickery (Rusot)
-Clarence Williams III (Omet'iklan)
Masset did Duras twice. Pressman did Ghemor twice as well. They shouldn't be on this list
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 03:00 AM   #12
Mojochi
Commodore

-Billy Campbell (Outrageous Okona) Be interesting to hear his take on being one of the douchier characters in Trek history

-David Ogden Stiers (Half A Life) He actually stood out to me as a rather prestigious guest actor to nab

-David Huddleston
(Emergence) You almost don't even notice he was on the show

-Bebe Neuwirth (First Contact) lol

-
Fionnula Flanagan (Inheritance) Until she showed up on Lost I'd hadn't seen her in anything else

-Ronny Cox
(Chain of Command) I mean... Come. on.
Mojochi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 03:18 AM   #13
Tosk
Rear Admiral

David Warner, Adrienne Barbeau, and Lisa Wilcox.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 04:21 AM   #14
Mojochi
Commodore

Tosk wrote: View Post
David Warner
Multiples roles in Star Trek
Mojochi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 04:52 AM   #15
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Mojochi wrote: View Post
-Fionnula Flanagan (Inheritance) Until she showed up on Lost I'd hadn't seen her in anything else.
Flanagan's done TNG, DS9, and ENT.
--Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
Melakon is online now   Reply With Quote