RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,667
Members: 24,818
Currently online: 411
Newest member: Thomas Eugene

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old April 4 2013, 01:55 AM   #91
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Re: Caroline Skinner Has Quit!

Who's ready to go toe to toe with Steven Moffat?

BTW. Someone should apply in Welsh lol
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 02:03 AM   #92
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Who's ready to go toe to toe with Steven Moffat?
I Tweeted the link at Brannon Braga; I think Doctor who, especially the Moffat version, would suit his sensibilities quite well.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 04:11 PM   #93
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

StCoop wrote: View Post
Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
If you want to apply for Skinner's former job, the BBC is taking applications for the next ten days.
Please Note: Must supply own Contraception.

And the rumors are reignited again

http://whistleblowerfive.blogspot.co...1_archive.html

-Moffat and Skinner had an "inappropriate working relationship"

-Matt Smith and Moffat fell out over the plans for the anniversary

-The character portrayed by John Hurt being used as a personal soap-box for Moffat's frustrations with Christopher Eccelston

-Series Eight is being worked on by Moffat, but the BBC have not commited to anything past Christmas.

"Skinner and Moffat's alleged rudeness to Christopher Eccleston's procrastinating which lead to Eccleston refusing to do the Anniversary Show at the eleventh hour

This will be reflected in the Hurt character

Moffat has been offered a position AWAY from Who for the eighth series and has refused to go.

The eighth series is ONLY being worked on by Moffat, but NO ONE ELSE including the BBC will commit to it after Christmas.

The BBC DO NOT want Moffat to continue. He is refusing to budge."
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 05:22 PM   #94
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Massive pile of salt but...

if any of that is true - is hurt playing an alternative version of nine that didn't regeneration to allow the story to be largely carried out as planned - I guess we will all be looking out for the sonic soapbox?
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 05:28 PM   #95
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Gallifrey Base is deleting posts discussing this. That doesn't actually mean there's any truth to this or that the BBC is asking them to. This violates their Code of Conduct as it would lead to a discussion of the private lives of private individuals.

Much of this has been rumored before. The one that wasn't is the one that I find most intriguing -- that there was a falling out between Moffat and Smith.

allyngibson.net
Old April 26 2013, 07:05 PM   #96
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Sounds like a lot of tabloid style stuff in there...interesting things...but don't believe any of them. The Moffat and Smith rumoured falling out is a new one for me too.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 07:15 PM   #97
Starkers
Admiral

The trouble is a lot of it seems contradictory. Moffat resents the fact that RTD had more sway then him, yet apparently he's so all powerful the BBC can't shift him?

And Eccleston procrastinated so much and pulled out at the last minute that they had to get John Hurt in? Does anyone seriously imagine you just call up John Hurt on the spur of the moment and offer him a job?

If any of this is true though I, as always, blame the BBC, though somehow I doubt they'd risk Who careening down a mountain just to keep three episodes of Sherlock a year. Moffat might take his bat and ball and go home but only with Sherlock, Who isn't his.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 07:19 PM   #98
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

The ones that I'm skeptical on -- or rather, that I think are true but don't mean what Whistleblower seems to think they mean -- are the last two points, on big name writers and their scripts being dumped.

Doctor Who is a series that works with freelancers. Moffat writes five or six scripts out of 13 each season. That leaves seven or eight scripts for freelancers to write. Moffat isn't going to commission exactly seven or eight scripts to fill his needs because then he'll be left short when a writer can't deliver. No, he'll commission nine or ten scripts from freelancers each year (after taking pitches for double that) so that he's not left short. And then those extra scripts may be in the mix for the following season, as Neil Gaiman's "The Doctor's Wife" was (commissioned for series five, produced for series six).

So it's not at all unreasonable for Moffat to have commissioned scripts that haven't been made. And yes, spread across three seasons, that could total to eight completed scripts by now.

Now, there is a dark flipside to this.

Moffat has commissioned completed scripts when he himself has been unable to finish his own. Had Moffat's storytelling not been so arc heavy and his scripts the keystones/backbones of his seasons, those commissioned scripts would, in any other production, have been slotted in to replace what Moffat was unable to deliver himself.

allyngibson.net
Old April 26 2013, 09:15 PM   #99
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I don't know the truth but I'm not sure things can be healthy again now that the well has been poisoned. Might be time to bring in some new blood.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 09:16 PM   #100
davejames
Vice Admiral

Yeah, I seriously doubt the Smith/Moffat falling out story. From everything I've ever seen, Smith seems to absolutely adore Steven Moffat, and considers every script he writes the most "brilliant" thing ever.

And I just don't see Moffat being that petty about the Eccleston situation either. He probably knew from the start that Ecceston's involvement would be a long shot, so why get all petulant about it when he finally said "no"?
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 09:36 PM   #101
Lonemagpie
Writer

They've *always* overcommissioned scripts, all the way since 1963...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 10:26 PM   #102
StCoop
Commodore

Odd coming from me I know but there's a lot there I'm very sceptical about. For one thing Chris Chibnall has confirmed he's writing a script for Series 8, so Moffat's not the only one working on it.

In fact it seems more like someone taking every single Moffat related rumour of recent times and putting them all together. Which isn't to say that there aren't big problems down Cardiff-way, because there clearly are.
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 10:30 PM   #103
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

^ That's precisely what it seems like someone has done. Taking all the most juicy rumours and compiled them together in a "report". No doubt that there are real problems going on behind the scenes, but I doubt what was in the article is even remotely true.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 11:53 PM   #104
diankra
Commodore

StCoop wrote: View Post
Odd coming from me I know but there's a lot there I'm very sceptical about. For one thing Chris Chibnall has confirmed he's writing a script for Series 8, so Moffat's not the only one working .
Not quite... He's been asked but whether can do it depends on timing... ie Broadchurch II. But point holds.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 12:10 AM   #105
Nightowl1701
Commander

Starkers wrote: View Post
Does anyone seriously imagine you just call up John Hurt on the spur of the moment and offer him a job?
Ask Ridley Scott. Hurt was a last-minute substitute on Alien when his original choice for Kane, Jon Finch, had a diabetic attack on the set in the first days of filming.
Nightowl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote