Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate the comics
Excellent 5 14.71%
Above Average 13 38.24%
Average 10 29.41%
Below Average 2 5.88%
Poor 4 11.76%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 31 2013, 02:51 PM   #211
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Countdown to Darkness - Review and Discussion

This is probably not a big deal, but...I can only assume that it won't be required to read Countdown to Darkness in order to understand what's going on in the actual film itself?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 02:59 PM   #212
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

It wasn't last time, and it won't be this time.
Old March 31 2013, 03:11 PM   #213
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

Hmm. Well that's a relief.

It's just that there seems to be a lot of heavy shit going down here, what with Robert April and all that (who is probably not going to be in STID), that it seems a bit complicated...
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old March 31 2013, 03:39 PM   #214
Christopher
Writer

Given that at least 99% of the people who see the movie will never read or even hear of the comic, they would never make the movie in such a way that you'd need to read the comic to understand it. Surely anything in the comic that's relevant to the movie will be explained in the movie as well, in the same way that the events of the first Countdown were just a fleshed-out version of the same information that Spock Prime's mind meld conveyed in the movie. In that case, the movie was written first, and then the comic took one piece of that film's backstory and expanded on it as a bonus for that tiny fraction of the audience that's into comics. No doubt the same is true here as well.

(It's the same thing we novelists do all the time. You don't need to read The Buried Age to understand "The Battle" or "The Measure of a Man" -- it just takes background information that's already in those episodes and fleshes it out more fully.)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 04:39 AM   #215
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

IDW will be publishing "Star Trek After Darkness". The story is an epilogue to the movie and will appear in the regular monthly Star Trek book in issues 21-23.

Last edited by Turtletrekker; April 3 2013 at 05:40 AM.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 04:58 AM   #216
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

IDW, you mean.

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
The story is an epilogue to the movie and will appear in the regular monthly Star Trek book in issues 21-23.
The solicitations for issues 21 and 22 are more than a little vague about the storyline. I'm curious what the solicitation for issue 23 will reveal...

Okay, okay, probably not a lot, since that will be made public in about two weeks -- and the movie's still a month-plus out.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 05:38 AM   #217
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
IDW, you mean.
D'oh!
Fixed.
Old April 3 2013, 02:44 PM   #218
Christopher
Writer

Boy, Abrams doing Star Wars has confused everybody, hasn't it?

Old April 3 2013, 09:21 PM   #219
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Given that at least 99% of the people who see the movie will never read or even hear of the comic, they would never make the movie in such a way that you'd need to read the comic to understand it. Surely anything in the comic that's relevant to the movie will be explained in the movie as well, in the same way that the events of the first Countdown were just a fleshed-out version of the same information that Spock Prime's mind meld conveyed in the movie. In that case, the movie was written first, and then the comic took one piece of that film's backstory and expanded on it as a bonus for that tiny fraction of the audience that's into comics. No doubt the same is true here as well.

(It's the same thing we novelists do all the time. You don't need to read The Buried Age to understand "The Battle" or "The Measure of a Man" -- it just takes background information that's already in those episodes and fleshes it out more fully.)
But assuming that Robert April isn't in the film, then how can a comic series that so heavily features him - and which is obviously a very intricate plot and is also a prequel to STID - just be dismissed out of hand in said film?
Old April 3 2013, 09:52 PM   #220
Christopher
Writer

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
But assuming that Robert April isn't in the film, then how can a comic series that so heavily features him - and which is obviously a very intricate plot and is also a prequel to STID - just be dismissed out of hand in said film?
Who said anything about being "dismissed?" Remember the analogy I made with Countdown. That was a story that was built on information that originally came from the film: that a supernova endangered Romulus, that Spock was sent in the Jellyfish to stop it with red matter, that he didn't arrive in time and Romulus was destroyed, and that Nero, captain of the Narada, blamed him for the destruction and attacked him, and that they both fell into the black hole created by the red matter. That story was told in the film, and it was also told in Countdown, fleshed out with more backstory and detail.

So it's not an either-or question, where any given piece of information is only allowed to be in one of the two stories. That's not the way it works. This comic, just like Countdown, was written to foreshadow events from a movie script that was written before it. So any information in the comic that's relevant to the movie is going to be in both the comic and the movie, just like the Romulus/red matter stuff in the first movie. So people seeing the movie will get all the information they need without needing the comic, and the comic just fleshes out some of that background information more fully.

Old April 3 2013, 09:58 PM   #221
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

^ Hmm. Well, all right then. I haven't heard anything about April's involvement in STID, but there's still so much about the film that we don't know. Including possible cameo appearances.
Old April 3 2013, 10:36 PM   #222
Christopher
Writer

Well, we'll have the answer in just over six weeks.

Old April 3 2013, 10:37 PM   #223
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

There hasn't been even a snifter of a possibility of a Robert April cameo in the film, has there?
Old April 3 2013, 11:09 PM   #224
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

IDW, you mean.
Man, I freakin' wish Dark Horse had the Star Trek license.
Old April 4 2013, 01:20 AM   #225
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Steve Mollmann wrote: View Post
IDW, you mean.
Man, I freakin' wish Dark Horse had the Star Trek license.
Having seen their Mass Effect comics, I'd fine with Trek staying with IDW.

It also means there's a chance of a Judge Dredd/Star Trek crossover