RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,684
Members: 24,829
Currently online: 406
Newest member: Enabran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old March 27 2013, 01:49 AM   #31
jayceee
Commander

Re: The Netflix Thread

Nick Ryder wrote: View Post
amazing though how inexpensive even Star Trek dvds can be found for - remember when the first TNG and DS9 sets came out - they were like a hundred bucks a set or something?
I remember the sky high prices around a decade ago. Though I didn't bite at the time.

I haven't really bothered buying the Star Trek tv season sets on dvds/blurays, other than the movies and season 1 of TNG.

Even with the very impressive picture quality and restoration of season 1 of TNG on bluray, I came to the realization it would end up collecting dust on my bookshelf. Though I've gotten more mileage out of watching the Star Trek movies on bluray/dvd.

I probably won't bother buying any of the other Star Trek season sets on bluray, unless they show up in the bargain bins for $10 or less. (It'll be a pure impulse buy at such a price).
jayceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 03:53 AM   #32
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Stargate season in the USA are $8 every year for Black Friday Week.
Old March 27 2013, 04:03 AM   #33
Harvey
Admiral

I wish Netflix gave users the ability to block movies and shows that don't interest them. Trying to find something tolerable in their science fiction section is often impossible, at least when it comes to streaming.

I suppose there is the instant queue, but as far as I can tell, there is no way to sort the titles in it, besides doing so manually. And that doesn't help the process of wading through their streaming catalogue, when I want to see something new.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 05:19 AM   #34
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

Well I have this feeling that sooner than later they're going to do a more 'logical' sorting system - at least I hope so - honestly it shouldn't be that hard to make a more navigable Instant Queue - especially since set top boxes with Netflix running on them are getting cheaper and more capable - but they're still a pain to add things to your queue or navigate when you just want to get to what you want.

Being able to make like folders would be cool or your own categories. Like say one that's just Star Trek, one that's Cartoons, one that's Dr. Who/BBC stuff, one that's movies you like, one that's movies you watch when you're drunk...

It would also be nice to not have every movie you've ever watched show up as a suggestion or something, I can understand they want to "Be helpful" but y'know what... be helpful by just making more direct categories or letting me put stuff into my own little section. I've been using Netflix for like almost 5 years now - I really truly don't need suggestions on what to watch. I have like 200 things in my queue and I know how to navigate the site.
Old March 27 2013, 06:52 AM   #35
cylkoth
Commodore

Harvey wrote: View Post

I suppose there is the instant queue, but as far as I can tell, there is no way to sort the titles in it, besides doing so manually. And that doesn't help the process of wading through their streaming catalogue, when I want to see something new.
I too wish Netflix offered finer filtering abilities on site. Typically, I use a third party (non NF owned) site called instantwatcher. They allow you to survey the entire US Streaming catalog, with filtering by genre, release year, and ''Added to Streaming'' date, and more. All info on the site comes directly from Netflix (via a program they offered to web developers giving them access to their data, that they are now slowly limiting to the established developers, with no new access granted to new site developers).
http://instantwatcher.com/genres/41?...ical_title+asc
Old March 27 2013, 08:05 PM   #36
cylkoth
Commodore

No one's posted this yet?
Netflix+ the Wachowskis+ JMS=

Sense8
http://www.deadline.com/tag/sense8/

The Wachowskis’ new sci-fi drama project Sense8 has landed at Netflix with a 10-episode order for a debut on Netflix Instant in late 2014. The series is produced by Georgeville TV, Reliance Entertainment/Motion Picture Capital’s TV studio, in association with J. Michael Straczynski‘s Studio JMS. This marks the first foray into TV series for the Wachowski siblings, the masterminds of The Matrix franchise, who are teamed with sci-fi veteran Straczynski (Babylon 5).
Old April 3 2013, 01:41 AM   #37
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I just got back from vacation so I missed that - yeah, sounds great! Netflix is the place for crazy sci fi that won't get watered down for the mass market or even an audience the size that SyFy expects.

Another article, which has an interesting quote from Netflix.

With Sense8, Netflix Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos explained that the Wachowskis and Straczynski are some of the most popular content creators on the Netflix Instant platform. “Their incredible creations are favorites of Netflix members globally and we can’t wait to bring Sense8 to life.”
And I agree with the comments above that Netflix needs to redesign their streaming interface, it's basically a parade of junk that I occasionally pick through when I'm extremely bored to find something weird to watch.

They also need to think of ways to let Netflix viewers communicate with each other - yknow, like this thread, except way bigger and better. When I watch something on Roku, I should be able to at least leave a comment about it.

And I'm still flummoxed that they aren't doing more direct communication with subscribers through the streaming interface, such as a standard "what's coming from Netflix Originals" button that lights up when there's something new. Click, and you find out Arrested Development just released new episodes or whatever. Why rely on e-mail and online ads when they have a captive audience they can reach, basically for free?

How about a countdown widget you can add, that tells you X days to Arrested Development?

It's nuts that they're based in (or adjacent to) Silicon Valley, there in Los Gatos. They have plenty of UI talent to draw upon right in their backyard.

Last edited by Temis the Vorta; April 3 2013 at 02:01 AM.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 04:34 AM   #38
Gary Mitchell
Admiral

If Straczynski is a popular content creator for Netflix instant, I wonder why they don't have Babylon 5 or Jeremiah?
Old April 3 2013, 05:48 AM   #39
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

He doesn't own the rights. That's a studio issue and he has no say over anything he has made gonig to Netflix.
Old April 3 2013, 05:23 PM   #40
Gary Mitchell
Admiral

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
He doesn't own the rights. That's a studio issue and he has no say over anything he has made gonig to Netflix.
I know that. I'm talking about Netflix stating that he's a popular content creator for them.
Old April 3 2013, 07:35 PM   #41
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Oh.

In that case the question isn't why it's not on Netflix, because of some studio issues, but how does Netflix know he's popular on Netflix if his shows aren't there?
Old April 3 2013, 07:54 PM   #42
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I gotta wonder about Netflix's claims to be uncovering some amazing gems in their data pointing to a House of Cards/Fincher/Spacey connection, or now some kind of concordance between the Wachowskis and JMS.

What does Netflix do, call these people up and tell them they have to work together? Wouldn't it be more likely that the creative folks would be the ones to initiate the relationship and then go to Netflix with their idea, which then conveniently discovers that their data validates this relationship?

Does Netflix really have the clout to play Hollywood matchmaker? After the fact PR spin is so much less work.

Which is not to say the collaborations won't work, but that's probably more to do with the creative freedom of not having to chase a mass market for an ad-supported medium or please theater owners by putting butts in seats. HBO's been doing the same thing for years, without the benefit of Big Data.

Or they're using data from DVD rentals in these decisions. In cases where they can't get streaming rights, that's a legit stand-in to judge demand. It's not at all far-fetched that the -ski's are very popular with Netflix customers as a whole. Early tech adopters = sci fi fans.

Sarandos' direct quote just says "their incredible creations are favorites of Netflix members globally." Could include DVDs.

The TechCrunch writer is the one who said "With Sense8, Netflix Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos explained that the Wachowskis and Straczynski are some of the most popular content creators on the Netflix Instant platform." The press release doesn't actually say that (although I'm sure Netflix is happy to see it interpreted that way, which is why the press release takes no pains to clarify the point.)

Last edited by Temis the Vorta; April 3 2013 at 08:08 PM.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 08:14 PM   #43
RoJoHen
Awesome

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Another Hemlock Grove trailer. Seems like an odd follow-up to HoC. They probably are aimed at entirely different audiences - and if the baseline for success is 2-3M viewers, there's no need for significant overlap - but it might give an odd impression for Netflix's branding, that you'd have an HBO-ish prestige series and then something that looks like a bloodier version of a CW show.

Honestly, I think this looks more interesting than any of the original programming that Netflix has done so far, and I don't find the "type" of show odd at all. Netflix is just starting off with their own shows; it makes sense to diversify and see what sticks. And did I see Famke Janssen in that trailer? That alone peaks my interest.
Old April 3 2013, 10:52 PM   #44
cylkoth
Commodore

Fringe fans take note-the show was added today to Instant Watch. Stream as much Walter as you want, or until you break the space time continuum.

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Oh.

In that case the question isn't why it's not on Netflix, because of some studio issues, but how does Netflix know he's popular on Netflix if his shows aren't there?
Both B5 and Jeremiah were available on the US service for years. So, I'm sure Netflix still keeps data on how well they performed while they had them. As already mentioned, the reason they aren't there presently is due to the studios not renewing contracts than Netflix not wanting them. Warner Bros adopted an extremely antagonistic posture against Netflix, and pulled (didn't renew) many of their popular series from NF in the US. That has softened in the last few months, though the non US based subscribers are benefiting the most. WB sells the Matrix films-and their shows no longer available in the US (Pushing Daisies, Sarah Connor), to NF's foreign services. Fringe was available for several months before today, as is Chuck-which arrives here later this spring/summer, no date has been posted.
So it's not out of the realm that, looking at what's popular globally, that they'd mention JMS and the Wachowskis, in talking up an association with them.