RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,935
Posts: 5,478,947
Members: 25,057
Currently online: 486
Newest member: JeremiahJT

TrekToday headlines

Trek Shirt And Hoodie
By: T'Bonz on Nov 27

A Klingon Christmas Carol’s Last Season
By: T'Bonz on Nov 27

Attack Wing Wave 10 Expansion Pack
By: T'Bonz on Nov 27

New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 3 2013, 09:42 PM   #46
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Deanna driving the ship...

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
^

Pft... well insulting the other person is typically a sign your argument can't stand scrutiny
First of all it wasn't an insult, but a joke (note the smiley).


Second, it's your argument that doesn't stand scrutiny. It goes against what was presented onscreen. The explosion caused the saucer section to lose helm control and crash into the planet. The line "Helm controls are offline!" makes it quite clear that it wouldn't have made a bit of difference who was sitting at the helm. The ship still would have crashed.

You've been trying awfully hard to suggest that it was Troi's fault the ship crashed and someone else at the helm could have prevented it, but the evidence just isn't there to support that.
And you're not apparently reading my argument by reiterating that. She had plenty of time before the "helm controls are offline!" line to maneuver. She in fact -did- maneuver as witnessed by the saucer turning away as they separated. I'm not saying she should've done some fancy maneuver after the shockwave hit. I'm saying she should've acted differently as she was flying away from the drive section, before it blew up.

It's not a difficult concept. If she positioned the saucer differently before the explosion all the shock wave would've done is push the saucer further away from the planet... as opposed to into it. The evidence is there to be seen by anyone... you just don't seem to want to for whatever reason. But anyways, I've stated my position several times... which you haven't countered the point at all that she could've acted differently in the time between the separation and the explosion.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 09:55 PM   #47
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Ferguson, Missouri, USA
Re: Deanna driving the ship...

Whatever. Troi wasn't responsible for crashing the ship no matter how much you want to pretend she was. We can joke about women drivers and all, but when a ship's helm goes offline, it's basically a very large brick at that point.
__________________
"Don't sweat the small stuff--it makes you small-minded..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 10:01 PM   #48
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Deanna driving the ship...

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Whatever. Troi wasn't responsible for crashing the ship no matter how much you want to pretend she was. We can joke about women drivers and all, but when a ship's helm goes offline, it's basically a very large brick at that point.
You're the one who keeps bringing up the women driver bit, not me. Just because Troi's a woman, doesn't give her a pass for doing something foolish. If Wesley had done the same, I'd be saying he was foolish.

Yes, it is a giant brick when the helm goes off line. But here's the hard thing to grasp... the helm didn't go off line until the shock wave hit it. So... she could... and did... maneuver it freely before the drive section exploded. She could've saved the saucer easily enough. Ro Laren would have I expect.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 10:10 PM   #49
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Ferguson, Missouri, USA
Re: Deanna driving the ship...

You still don't get any of it. I guess it doesn't matter. There just isn't anything to support your claims. A ship that can't steer is a ship that can't steer--it's as simple as that. It doesn't matter if it's Hikaru Sulu, Ro Laren, or Tom Paris at the helm.
__________________
"Don't sweat the small stuff--it makes you small-minded..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 10:41 PM   #50
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Deanna driving the ship...

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
You still don't get any of it. I guess it doesn't matter. There just isn't anything to support your claims. A ship that can't steer is a ship that can't steer--it's as simple as that. It doesn't matter if it's Hikaru Sulu, Ro Laren, or Tom Paris at the helm.
Yes there is. Go back and look at the pictures I posted. Unless magic just caused the saucer to turn as they separated, the helm was operational before the drive section blew up. Got anything more substantive than me playing the gender card or not getting it to play to counter that? You still haven't provided it.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 10:50 PM   #51
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Ferguson, Missouri, USA
Re: Deanna driving the ship...

You keep ignoring onscreen evidence, so this conversation is done.
__________________
"Don't sweat the small stuff--it makes you small-minded..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 12:04 AM   #52
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Deanna driving the ship...

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
You keep ignoring onscreen evidence, so this conversation is done.
You took the words right out of my mouth.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 12:11 AM   #53
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Ferguson, Missouri, USA
Re: Deanna driving the ship...

R. Star wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
You keep ignoring onscreen evidence, so this conversation is done.
You took the words right out of my mouth.
Only that this conversation is done (and quite a long time ago). Good-bye and drive safely.
__________________
"Don't sweat the small stuff--it makes you small-minded..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 12:15 AM   #54
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Deanna driving the ship...

So was the conversation not done or did you just start another conversation after the last to say how done it is?
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 12:40 AM   #55
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Ferguson, Missouri, USA
Re: Deanna driving the ship...

What, you want you have the last word? Go ahead, be my guest. Doesn't change a thing, though.
__________________
"Don't sweat the small stuff--it makes you small-minded..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 12:43 AM   #56
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Deanna driving the ship...

Apparently you do want that last word, as you keep posting despite the conversation ending five posts ago and two posts from yourself declaring it over.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 12:47 AM   #57
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Ferguson, Missouri, USA
Re: Deanna driving the ship...

Well, at this point I'm just curious how many posts are you going to include or end with the smiley?
__________________
"Don't sweat the small stuff--it makes you small-minded..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 12:49 AM   #58
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Deanna driving the ship...

At your request I can use something else! is quite underused, wouldn't you agree?
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 01:40 AM   #59
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: Deanna driving the ship...

Good lord, guys, why don't you both drop it?

Deanna Troi is more qualified to pilot the saucer section of a Galaxy-class starship than anybody here, so let's just give her the benefit of the doubt and assume she knew what she was doing.

To be honest, though, if I was Riker, I probably would have just stood my ass up and taken the helm myself.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 02:25 AM   #60
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Ferguson, Missouri, USA
Re: Deanna driving the ship...

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Good lord, guys, why don't you both drop it?
It was dropped until you brought it back up.

Deanna Troi is more qualified to pilot the saucer section of a Galaxy-class starship than anybody here, so let's just give her the benefit of the doubt and assume she knew what she was doing.

To be honest, though, if I was Riker, I probably would have just stood my ass up and taken the helm myself.
Agreed on the first point about Troi, but I think most commanders probably are too busy making command decisions, with taking the helm as a means of ultimate last resort (like George Kirk did in Star Trek XI).
__________________
"Don't sweat the small stuff--it makes you small-minded..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.