RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,442
Posts: 5,507,511
Members: 25,133
Currently online: 473
Newest member: jokerone

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 2 2013, 07:03 AM   #31
Saito S
Fleet Captain
 
Saito S's Avatar
 
Location: a world of keyboards, camaraderie, and caffeine. aka Nano 2014
Send a message via AIM to Saito S
Re: Deep Space Nine Revisited: A New Perspective

teacake wrote: View Post
TrekDoggyDog wrote: View Post

- DS9 was filled with a surprising LACK of alpha male machismo.
And this is bad?
Apparently! Who knew?

Dog, your criticisms are less "nit picky" and more "massively offensive and frighteningly shallow".

TrekDoggyDog wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post
Wow, completely disagree with every one of those. They seem like some very shallow criticisms, and I don't quite get the obsession with masculinity and people's appearances throughout...
Feel free to disagree, but it'd make your argument a bit more plausible with a little substance rather than emotion
Yeah, cause this
TrekDoggyDog wrote: View Post
- It took Kira like 4 seasons to stop being a lesbian.
is a very "plausible" () argument with lots of substance.
__________________
Valocea - new map/info as of Oct 2014!
Nanowrimo 2014! Get hype!
Saito S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2013, 01:52 PM   #32
Tosk
Rear Admiral
 
Tosk's Avatar
 
Location: On the run.
Re: Deep Space Nine Revisited: A New Perspective

TrekDoggyDog wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post
Wow, completely disagree with every one of those. They seem like some very shallow criticisms, and I don't quite get the obsession with masculinity and people's appearances throughout...
Feel free to disagree, but it'd make your argument a bit more plausible with a little substance rather than emotion
What argument? He disagrees with you...isn't that all that needs to be said?
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2013, 08:26 PM   #33
Shanndee
Commodore
 
Shanndee's Avatar
 
Location: Canada
Re: Deep Space Nine Revisited: A New Perspective

teacake wrote: View Post
TrekDoggyDog wrote: View Post

- DS9 was filled with a surprising LACK of alpha male machismo.
And this is bad?
No kidding! I had hoped that everyone was aware that chest thumping garbage was passe. I guess not!

That's ok though. I get a great laugh whenever someone chooses to put it on diplay!
__________________
"Nolite te bastardes carborundorum" Margaret Atwood

"Everything will be alright in the end; if it is not alright, it is not the end" Numerous sources

Last edited by Shanndee; April 3 2013 at 01:05 AM. Reason: spelling!
Shanndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2013, 09:47 PM   #34
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: Deep Space Nine Revisited: A New Perspective

So is anybody else having the same problem I am with the Bashir in their rewatch?

Knowing now that he's genetically enhanced with a massive IQ, I just can't watch anything he does in those early episodes without wondering if he's being sincere, or simply putting on a show to hide the truth. Especially in episodes like "Past Prologue", where he's bounding around like an exciteable, naive little kid and telling everyone about Garak. Or when he's acting nervous about the Klingons and every other little thing that happens.

As much as I loved "Doctor Bashir, I Presume" and it's big revelation, I definitely understand now why Siddig was so angry about it-- because it just doesn't match up at all with how he was playing the character before.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 02:12 AM   #35
Enterpriserules
Commodore
 
Enterpriserules's Avatar
 
Location: On an Andorian Atlire-class escort cruisers, the Mat-Rus. From "The Poisoned Chalice
View Enterpriserules's Twitter Profile
Re: Deep Space Nine Revisited: A New Perspective

No, I always feel like that Bashir is downplaying his true self so that no one will ever expect that he is genetically enhanced
__________________
My Blog is www.42lifeinbetween.wordpress.com and I am the host of the general geek show The 602 Club and the co-host of Literary Treks and The Orb podcasts.
Enterpriserules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 03:54 AM   #36
Saito S
Fleet Captain
 
Saito S's Avatar
 
Location: a world of keyboards, camaraderie, and caffeine. aka Nano 2014
Send a message via AIM to Saito S
Re: Deep Space Nine Revisited: A New Perspective

Shanndee wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post
TrekDoggyDog wrote: View Post

- DS9 was filled with a surprising LACK of alpha male machismo.
And this is bad?
No kidding! I had hoped that everyone was aware that chest thumping garbage was passe. I guess not!

That's ok though. I get a great laugh whenever someone chooses to put it on diplay!
Especially in regards to a TV show. I mean... why would this even MATTER? Before this thread, I would never have even conceived of the notion that ANYONE holds the amount of "alpha male machismo" present as being of even slightly important when evaluating a Trek series.

davejames wrote: View Post
So is anybody else having the same problem I am with the Bashir in their rewatch?

Knowing now that he's genetically enhanced with a massive IQ, I just can't watch anything he does in those early episodes without wondering if he's being sincere, or simply putting on a show to hide the truth. Especially in episodes like "Past Prologue", where he's bounding around like an exciteable, naive little kid and telling everyone about Garak. Or when he's acting nervous about the Klingons and every other little thing that happens.
I dunno... are those things really necessarily out of character for a genetically engineered guy in the first place? Those are personality traits. Just because he's got a monster intellect, doesn't mean he can't be a bit wowed by his first assignment, a bit overexcited at meeting a real-life spy, etc. He's got exceptional reflexes and is highly intelligent, but you can't genetically engineer common sense, maturity, or general personality traits. I think that, combined with:

Enterpriserules wrote: View Post
No, I always feel like that Bashir is downplaying his true self so that no one will ever expect that he is genetically enhanced
this, to the degree that it would have been necessary, covers it pretty well.
__________________
Valocea - new map/info as of Oct 2014!
Nanowrimo 2014! Get hype!
Saito S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 04:04 AM   #37
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral
 
Ho Ho Homeier's Avatar
 
Location: Melakon's place
Re: Deep Space Nine Revisited: A New Perspective

Saito S wrote: View Post
Enterpriserules wrote: View Post
No, I always feel like that Bashir is downplaying his true self so that no one will ever expect that he is genetically enhanced
this, to the degree that it would have been necessary, covers it pretty well.
It could be interpreted to explain some of Bashir's awkward pauses and "Umm..." moments.
__________________
Curly: Oh, you hit Santa Claus. Just for that, no toys! --Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
Ho Ho Homeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 07:54 PM   #38
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: Deep Space Nine Revisited: A New Perspective

Saito S wrote: View Post
I dunno... are those things really necessarily out of character for a genetically engineered guy in the first place? Those are personality traits. Just because he's got a monster intellect, doesn't mean he can't be a bit wowed by his first assignment, a bit overexcited at meeting a real-life spy, etc. He's got exceptional reflexes and is highly intelligent, but you can't genetically engineer common sense, maturity, or general personality traits. I think that, combined with:

Enterpriserules wrote: View Post
No, I always feel like that Bashir is downplaying his true self so that no one will ever expect that he is genetically enhanced
this, to the degree that it would have been necessary, covers it pretty well.
I suppose, but it seemed before that those traits were rooted in a genuine naivety about the world around him. And you would think having a monster intellect would bring with it a greater sense of maturity and confidence as well.

At least to where you're not continuing to act like a little kid at every new thing you encounter.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 02:30 AM   #39
Saito S
Fleet Captain
 
Saito S's Avatar
 
Location: a world of keyboards, camaraderie, and caffeine. aka Nano 2014
Send a message via AIM to Saito S
Re: Deep Space Nine Revisited: A New Perspective

davejames wrote: View Post
Saito S wrote: View Post
I dunno... are those things really necessarily out of character for a genetically engineered guy in the first place? Those are personality traits. Just because he's got a monster intellect, doesn't mean he can't be a bit wowed by his first assignment, a bit overexcited at meeting a real-life spy, etc. He's got exceptional reflexes and is highly intelligent, but you can't genetically engineer common sense, maturity, or general personality traits. I think that, combined with:

Enterpriserules wrote: View Post
No, I always feel like that Bashir is downplaying his true self so that no one will ever expect that he is genetically enhanced
this, to the degree that it would have been necessary, covers it pretty well.
I suppose, but it seemed before that those traits were rooted in a genuine naivety about the world around him. And you would think having a monster intellect would bring with it a greater sense of maturity and confidence as well.

At least to where you're not continuing to act like a little kid at every new thing you encounter.
I agree that - even if his basic personality drove some of that initial "boyish wonder" genuinely - having the monster intellect would probably cause it to recede more quickly. That it didn't is the second part coming into play: some of it was intentional, especially as time went on, because he knew he had to tone it down gradually, so as not to undergo a very noticeable, sudden behavioral shift that might be questioned.
__________________
Valocea - new map/info as of Oct 2014!
Nanowrimo 2014! Get hype!
Saito S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 01:32 PM   #40
Enterpriserules
Commodore
 
Enterpriserules's Avatar
 
Location: On an Andorian Atlire-class escort cruisers, the Mat-Rus. From "The Poisoned Chalice
View Enterpriserules's Twitter Profile
Re: Deep Space Nine Revisited: A New Perspective

Saito S wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post
Saito S wrote: View Post
I dunno... are those things really necessarily out of character for a genetically engineered guy in the first place? Those are personality traits. Just because he's got a monster intellect, doesn't mean he can't be a bit wowed by his first assignment, a bit overexcited at meeting a real-life spy, etc. He's got exceptional reflexes and is highly intelligent, but you can't genetically engineer common sense, maturity, or general personality traits. I think that, combined with:


this, to the degree that it would have been necessary, covers it pretty well.
I suppose, but it seemed before that those traits were rooted in a genuine naivety about the world around him. And you would think having a monster intellect would bring with it a greater sense of maturity and confidence as well.

At least to where you're not continuing to act like a little kid at every new thing you encounter.
I agree that - even if his basic personality drove some of that initial "boyish wonder" genuinely - having the monster intellect would probably cause it to recede more quickly. That it didn't is the second part coming into play: some of it was intentional, especially as time went on, because he knew he had to tone it down gradually, so as not to undergo a very noticeable, sudden behavioral shift that might be questioned.
Exactly, he is a genetically engineered genius
__________________
My Blog is www.42lifeinbetween.wordpress.com and I am the host of the general geek show The 602 Club and the co-host of Literary Treks and The Orb podcasts.
Enterpriserules is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
deep, niners, revisited, space

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.