RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,232
Posts: 5,347,648
Members: 24,607
Currently online: 568
Newest member: lueth2048

TrekToday headlines

Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 3 2013, 06:39 PM   #106
thumbtack
Commodore
 
Location: Ankh-Morpork
Re: Has star trek changed

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Who's pretending that?


I think he's still calling himself "the true fans".
__________________
"What went wrong!? All my sockpuppets loved this movie!" - Kevin Smith
thumbtack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 11:55 PM   #107
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Has star trek changed

thumbtack wrote: View Post
My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Who's pretending that?


I think he's still calling himself "the true fans".
Ah. He gets around - must be CG.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 07:02 PM   #108
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Has star trek changed

Count me in as another fan of "Superman Returns". Loved the cast, great effects, the opening credits, Noel Neill and Jack Larson cameos, and so many familiar (Sydney, Australia) locations!
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 08:05 PM   #109
marksound
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Planet Carcazed
Re: Has star trek changed

SR was OK. Not great, but not terrible. Casting Routh as CK/Supes was a good move because of his physical resemblance to Reeve, but his acting chops are ... limited.

Chuck even played on the resemblance in one episode that mirrors a scene from a Reeve movie.

The thing that killed the Routh portrayal for me is the eyes. He has dark, black, dead looking eyes. There's no smile in there.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2013, 03:11 AM   #110
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: Has star trek changed

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
SR was OK. Not great, but not terrible. Casting Routh as CK/Supes was a good move because of his physical resemblance to Reeve, but his acting chops are ... limited.
Regardless my opinion on Superman Returns, I've never been one to criticize Routh, simply because he didn't really have anything to do. Aside from a few strut and pose in the costume he hardly has any memorable material in the movie, which is rather pathetic given he is the titular main character. Hell, I think Ebert even mentioned in his review that despite being the lead, Superman probably had the least amount of dialogue.

Routh may be a good actor, or he could be a horrible one. But I'm not going to base my opinion of him on Superman Returns.
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2013, 05:31 PM   #111
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Has star trek changed

Superman Returns is what you get when you follow that "it must be an origin story" idiocy. Oh yeah, it was not an origin story, it was a "returns story". Same difference. All the movie did was trying to set up everything for a sequel, and everyone one of the involved always said "yeah, the sequel will be the shiznit, the sequel is going to be the balls to the walls Superman you always wanted to see".

Just make the fucking balls to the walls Superman film to begin with, will ya, and stop wasting time with the other one.
__________________
lol
l
/\
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2013, 06:34 PM   #112
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: Has star trek changed

Personally, I though the problem with Superman Returns was that it was one of those "director's passion projects" movies. Bryan Singer is a huge Superman fan and always wanted to do a Superman fan, and what we end up with is two and a half hours of fanboy gushing. We had the same problem with Peter Jackson's King Kong. These are fine examples of why it's a bad ide having a fan calling the shots, eve if said fan is a professional filmmaker.

Although, while Abrams might in principle be the best choice direct Trek, I still don't think he specifically is the right choice, based on my own opinions of him as a filmmaker. And really, starting every interview off with "I'm more a Star Wars fan than a Star Trek" borders on being quite an asshole.
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2013, 07:17 PM   #113
Ovation
Vice Admiral
 
Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)
Re: Has star trek changed

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Personally, I though the problem with Superman Returns was that it was one of those "director's passion projects" movies. Bryan Singer is a huge Superman fan and always wanted to do a Superman fan, and what we end up with is two and a half hours of fanboy gushing. We had the same problem with Peter Jackson's King Kong. These are fine examples of why it's a bad ide having a fan calling the shots, eve if said fan is a professional filmmaker.
Although I think a fan who is a filmmaker can overcome such issues, this is a reasonably fair point.

Although, while Abrams might in principle be the best choice direct Trek, I still don't think he specifically is the right choice, based on my own opinions of him as a filmmaker. And really, starting every interview off with "I'm more a Star Wars fan than a Star Trek" borders on being quite an asshole.
First of all, he doesn't do that at every interview. He's probably not done it very much at all. However, many of these "interviews" are from press junkets--a lot like post-game scrum "interviews" with players in pro sports--and multiple media outlets carry the same quotation. This makes it seem far more frequent than it actually is.

Second, since your concern is about fanboys making films, doesn't the logic of your argument suggest Abrams is a strong choice to direct Trek (leading zeroes notwithstanding )?
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2013, 07:55 PM   #114
Franklin
Rear Admiral
 
Location: In the bleachers
Re: Has star trek changed

Ovation wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Personally, I though the problem with Superman Returns was that it was one of those "director's passion projects" movies. Bryan Singer is a huge Superman fan and always wanted to do a Superman fan, and what we end up with is two and a half hours of fanboy gushing. We had the same problem with Peter Jackson's King Kong. These are fine examples of why it's a bad ide having a fan calling the shots, eve if said fan is a professional filmmaker.
Although I think a fan who is a filmmaker can overcome such issues, this is a reasonably fair point.

Although, while Abrams might in principle be the best choice direct Trek, I still don't think he specifically is the right choice, based on my own opinions of him as a filmmaker. And really, starting every interview off with "I'm more a Star Wars fan than a Star Trek" borders on being quite an asshole.
First of all, he doesn't do that at every interview. He's probably not done it very much at all. However, many of these "interviews" are from press junkets--a lot like post-game scrum "interviews" with players in pro sports--and multiple media outlets carry the same quotation. This makes it seem far more frequent than it actually is.

Second, since your concern is about fanboys making films, doesn't the logic of your argument suggest Abrams is a strong choice to direct Trek (leading zeroes notwithstanding )?
And by that same concern, that he's a pretty bad choice to direct "Star Wars".
__________________
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. -- Mark Twain
Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 12:31 AM   #115
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Has star trek changed

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Personally, I though the problem with Superman Returns was that it was one of those "director's passion projects" movies. Bryan Singer is a huge Superman fan and always wanted to do a Superman fan, and what we end up with is two and a half hours of fanboy gushing.
It's not even fanboy gushing. Fanboy gushing would result in Superman throwing a lot of punches.
__________________
lol
l
/\
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 12:31 AM   #116
Set Harth
Rear Admiral
 
Set Harth's Avatar
 
Location: Gallifrey Falls
Re: Has star trek changed

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Superman Returns is what you get when you follow that "it must be an origin story" idiocy.
The new movie is an origin story.
__________________
"In the future... do I make it?"
"No."
Set Harth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 01:24 AM   #117
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: Has star trek changed

Ovation wrote: View Post
First of all, he doesn't do that at every interview. He's probably not done it very much at all. However, many of these "interviews" are from press junkets--a lot like post-game scrum "interviews" with players in pro sports--and multiple media outlets carry the same quotation. This makes it seem far more frequent than it actually is.
Even if it wasn't every interview, he did mention it more times than was necessary. How many times while doing the X-Men movies did Bryan Singer say "I've always been more of a Superman fan than X-Men"? Did he even say that at all while working on X-Men?

Second, since your concern is about fanboys making films, doesn't the logic of your argument suggest Abrams is a strong choice to direct Trek (leading zeroes notwithstanding )?
That's why I said he was the best choice in principal, and yes, by the same coin he's a horrible choice for Star Wars. Hell, even he thought directing Star Wars was a bad idea, but apparentally Disney wants him that bad.

That said, while he is the best choice for Trek in principal, being a non-fan, as a filmmaker and producer I find a lot of his work leave much to be desired.
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 01:50 AM   #118
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: In the 23rd Century...
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Has star trek changed

I love all the butthurt over Abrams comment about Star Wars.
__________________
"I had no idea you were so... formidable. " - Anan 7 to James T. Kirk, A Taste of Armageddon
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 02:53 AM   #119
Danger Ace
Commander
 
Danger Ace's Avatar
 
Location: California
Re: Has star trek changed

starbuck wrote: View Post
The new film is looking good from the trailers, but what i was thinking has it changed now from Gene,s vision , the trek we all liked and enjoyed the great stories that were told . Is it now just a blockbuster special effects film with no real story to the trek world ?
Has "Star Trek" changed since JJ's reboot? Yes, but it is too soon to say whether the change is for the better or worse overall (IMO). The last film, "Star Trek," was a good, head-on, thrill-a-minute action flick. This new film, "Star Trek Into Darkness," looks to be more of the same. I'm sure we, the audience, will be given a feast of CGI enhanced stimuli to fill our eyes and ears. And since that's all we ever really wanted, all's good ... right?

No psuedo-philosophies or metaphysical ponderances. No examinations of things bigger than ourselves or what are responsibilities (moral or otherwise) may be. I mean:

If I'm going to get a headache then I want it to be because Abram's trademark lens flares and quick cuts over-powered me and absolutely not because I had to think about anything beyond my soda-to-popcorn ratio (which is every bit as important as the Enterprise's mix of matter and anti-matter).

In term's of Eugene Roddenberry's "vision?" Yes. As Legion-san and others have said, there was always a gulf between what GR claimed TOS to be and the reality of what it was.

I am one of those who believe TOS was a product of great timing. It was an optimistic picture of the future in a tumultuous time that was embraced by a nervous generation hungry for reassurance (none of the Trek's that followed ever got to enjoy any similar confluence).

The original "Star Trek" gave us action and adventure. It also gave us little things to wonder about. All the stories it told were through the prism of us striving to be better. It held a mirror up by which we could evaluate ourselves (thank you, Mr. Spock!)

One of the many differences between The Original Series and The Next Generation revolved around that. Somewhere between the two eras starship captain's got evangelical. Where Kirk had been an explorer open to introspection - Picard was a crusader upon a high horse. Kirk may have given overly emotive speeches but Picard gave sermons on the mount.

In general, TOS was hawkish and bi-lateral while TNG was dovish and unilateral. DS9 went back to being hawkish (<-- there's a joke in there). Voyager was more neutral as a result of it taking place outside the AQ. And I don't want to get into trouble pontificating on what "Enterprise" was (*joke removed for reasons of peace, love and understanding*).

Anyway, my opinion and your mileage may very.
__________________
Yours Truly,
Vic Falcone

Last edited by Danger Ace; April 6 2013 at 08:02 AM.
Danger Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 07:57 AM   #120
Danger Ace
Commander
 
Danger Ace's Avatar
 
Location: California
Re: Has star trek changed

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Superman Returns is what you get when you follow that "it must be an origin story" idiocy. Oh yeah, it was not an origin story, it was a "returns story". Same difference.
Firstly, not the "same difference."

Secondly, the problem with "Superman Returns" was it was literally an imitation of the Chris Reeve era films. None of the actors hired were allowed to do their own thing. I mean God ... er ... Zod, it was painful to watch Kevin Spacey forced to imitate Gene Hackman! And Brandon Routh just didn't have the "it" factor of Mr. Reeve.

The whole thing was just a mess and a clear example of a studio patheticly attempting to play it safe and really taking audience intelligence for granted. I really think WB felt that if all the actors pretended to be the people from 20 years before the audience would believe they were 'cuz we be jus' dat stoopid.

Thirdly, in any event, I agree that our pals at the WB should have allowed the cast & crew to blaze their own path rather than try and photocopy someone elses from a couple of decades earlier.
__________________
Yours Truly,
Vic Falcone
Danger Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.