Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old April 1 2013, 04:17 PM   #31
Shanndee
Commodore

Re: Georgia toddler mauled to death by family's pack of dogs

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
Sector 7 wrote: View Post
It mystifies me that some people place more importance upon animals (or breeds) than upon human life.
Oh, FFS. Just because those people who do have positive experiences or knowledge of the breed offer a different explanation for their frequent involvement in mauling deaths than you do doesn't mean that they're placing more importance on animals than upon human life (well, some people on TBBS do, but I don't think it's anyone in this thread so far). Just because they defend the breed and criticize the owners who misuse and abuse the dogs doesn't mean they're indifferent to babies being mauled or anything like that. That's just insulting and ridiculous. You really need to learn to cut back on the hyperbole.
Thank you Locutus (and everyone else who has weighed in). I was just too frustrated and tired when I read that comment to reply. I was afraid I'd get very rude and very personal so I decided not to post, but you all said the things I wanted to say.

"Everything will be alright in the end; if it is not alright, it is not the end" Numerous sources
Shanndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 10:43 PM   #32
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

I really want to hear more about this family. Unless you're a breeder, then you have no need to own nine dogs, let alone pitbulls. I'm sure they were the sweetest, kindest, most loving dogs ever to walk the earth, but when you have more than say, two, you have created a pack, and that pack's territory was the backyard and the child invaded that territory. That result is expected.
Old April 1 2013, 11:02 PM   #33
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

In Australia one generally has to have a kennel license to own more than 2 dogs and I assume this is so in many other places in the world.

I know that my local council doesn't issue kennel licenses it for most urban surburbs.

Last edited by Miss Chicken; April 1 2013 at 11:26 PM.
Miss Chicken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 11:04 PM   #34
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

^^ Not so in at least most places in America. I wish it were.
Old April 2 2013, 05:52 PM   #35
Pegaritaville
Vice Admiral

In my county you can have up to four dogs without obtaining a special breeding/kennel license (exceptions are made for puppies). But I'm not even sure the county even issues special licenses- I think they just have to register as a kennel or a breeder.
Pegaritaville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2013, 07:43 PM   #36
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Kirby wrote: View Post
I really want to hear more about this family. Unless you're a breeder, then you have no need to own nine dogs, let alone pitbulls. I'm sure they were the sweetest, kindest, most loving dogs ever to walk the earth, but when you have more than say, two, you have created a pack, and that pack's territory was the backyard and the child invaded that territory. That result is expected.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...unty-yard.html seems to have a few more details.

I think 4 dogs is the line where you just have to start calling someone crazy. 1 dog is great. I could see getting 2 if you don't want your dog to be lonely while you're at work. Fine. 3 you're starting to push it, but whatever... 4? You're just fucking nuts sorry.

The mother's 18 years old, the daughter was almost 2... well. You do that math. Not necessarily dealing with the most responsible people here. I mean come on. A kid that young? You set up those little toddler gates/fences so they can't get themselves killed. Is it really that hard?
Old April 2 2013, 11:57 PM   #37
HaplessCrewman
Commander

The pictures in the link above make this story even more upsetting.
Old April 3 2013, 12:07 PM   #38
Mooch
Fleet Captain

Squiggy wrote: View Post
Yes, because most people who own Pitt Bulls treat them like shit
I think this is an extremely unlikely assertion. Do you have any actual data to back that up?
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 02:36 PM   #39
Captain Ice
Baseball Fan

Yoda wrote: View Post

I think 4 dogs is the line where you just have to start calling someone crazy. 1 dog is great. I could see getting 2 if you don't want your dog to be lonely while you're at work. Fine. 3 you're starting to push it, but whatever... 4? You're just fucking nuts sorry.

The mother's 18 years old, the daughter was almost 2... well. You do that math. Not necessarily dealing with the most responsible people here. I mean come on. A kid that young? You set up those little toddler gates/fences so they can't get themselves killed. Is it really that hard?
I'm not sure that three is an out of line number. Sometimes it happens.

The age of the people involved is a telling thing though. How many people can say that they were responsible people at 18?

RIP Dad Apr 22, 1942 - Dec 2, 2011

Captain Ice is offline   Reply With Quote