Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old April 3 2013, 04:05 AM   #16
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Re: Anyone here who HATES "in the pale moonlight"

Shatinator wrote: View Post
Dream wrote: View Post
The episode only works if the Romulans find out the truth after the Dominion War and declare war on the Federation. The writers wimped out by not showing that.

How can you justify that statement? . Are you saying that the crux of drama is invalid with out a follow up ep, or just that it doesn't "work" for you .
Not only that, but the Dominion war ends about 20 minutes before DS9 as a series ends forever. When were they supposed to do this Romulan storyline?
Tosk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 04:12 AM   #17
LiLiKitty
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I appreciate Roddenberry's vision, except for the "no conflict" policy that TNG was shackled with. The old truism is "conflict equals drama," therefore no conflict means no drama, or, at least, weak, limited conflict between characters. Thankfully, DS9 wasn't constrained this way. "In The Pale Moonlight" has deep, rich conflict that challenges Sisko as a character, making for great drama. The episode deserves all the kudos it gets.
LiLiKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 07:44 AM   #18
Melakon
Vice Admiral

I think DS9's introduction of new concepts must have been one of those proverbial times they blindfolded the bronze bust of Roddenberry in Berman's office.
--Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
Melakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 03:28 PM   #19
Garrovick
Commander

I thought that the "no-conflict" approach to 24th-century Trek was a mistake on Gene Roddenberry's part. I just think it's unrealistic to expect that humanity will ever evolve to a point where there is no interpersonal conflict - certainly not in a mere few centuries.

However, I'm willing to give him a pass on it. Gene Roddenberry got a few things wrong with Trek, but they are far outweighed by all the things he got right.
Garrovick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 05:15 PM   #20
indolover
Fleet Captain

Whether it's realistic or not is surely immaterial. I never knew Rick Berman was the supreme and Godly authority of valid artistic works.
indolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 06:47 PM   #21
USS Firefly
Commander

I loved it. The conflict for such an officer as Sisko was good drama, and ofcourse Garak, what a great carakter.
USS Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 07:07 PM   #22
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

It's my favourite episode in all of Star Trek, with The Cage being a close second.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 02:38 AM   #23
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

All the philosophy aside, it was simply good TV viewing, IMO. At the time, the ending was unusual for Trek, because it usually liked to wrap up a story line all neat and proper.

Garak probably had some of the best lines near the end of the episode where he gave that small speech to Sisko.
Nightdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 09:37 PM   #24
TheRoyalFamily
Commodore

On thinking about this earlier, I realized that, had this been a TNG episode, the Enterprise crew would be trying to defeat Sisko and Garak. Sisko is the typical TNG "Starfleet Naughty Fellow."
Old April 4 2013, 10:13 PM   #25
DS9forever
Fleet Captain

Melakon wrote: View Post
I think DS9's introduction of new concepts must have been one of those proverbial times they blindfolded the bronze bust of Roddenberry in Berman's office.
TNG actually broke a few Roddenberry's dictums - the space pirates in "Gambit" for one and mentions of Starfleet Intelligence.
DS9forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 10:25 PM   #26
davejames
Vice Admiral

LiLiKitty wrote: View Post
I appreciate Roddenberry's vision, except for the "no conflict" policy that TNG was shackled with. The old truism is "conflict equals drama," therefore no conflict means no drama, or, at least, weak, limited conflict between characters. Thankfully, DS9 wasn't constrained this way. "In The Pale Moonlight" has deep, rich conflict that challenges Sisko as a character, making for great drama. The episode deserves all the kudos it gets.
I know TNG gets criticized for that a lot, but I thought the show actually made that idea work pretty well. The fact this was a crew of mature and professional officers who all respected and worked well together was a huge part of it's appeal, I think. And I wouldn't want them to be any other way.

If there was a problem with certain episodes, it was because of generally bad writing or a boring plot, not because of a lack of character conflict-- because there were certainly enough fantastic episodes that worked just fine without it.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 11:47 PM   #27
Finn
Vice Admiral

WesleysDisciple wrote: View Post
heard this episode created a lot of controversy, but its a bit less widely talked a bout then "Dear doctor" for some reason

anyone here who hates in the pale moonlight, who feels it was selling Rodenberry cheap to play on a love of angsts or whatever.
The Roddenberry crap was taken too far with the TNG's "evolved" humanity. Like some of the others, Trek was better without him in charge

I think it's one of the best Trek episodes.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2013, 03:16 AM   #28
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Roddenberry's vision is great.

In The Pale Moonlight is great, though not Roddenberry's vision.

If the Romulans found out the truth after the war (Which they had no real way of doing), it's possible they'd declare war, but it wouldn't be out of outrage and anger. It'd be because they wanted to anyway and this gives them a reason, and they would only do it if they thought they could win. Which there's no way they could because the Klingon High Council ended up with an extremely pro-Federation Chancellor.

Just like if the Romulans went to war in The Enemy it wouldn't have been because of the outrage of their dead pilot, it would be because they wanted to go to war and the dead pilot made them look like the victims.

The Dear Doctor comparison is the exact opposite of In The Pale Moonlight. In The Pale Moonlight was, go against principle to save trillions of lives. Dear Doctor was, allow billions of people to die on vague principle, and it was a principle that didn't even make sense.

And I've heard the TNG writers say that the 'No conflict' edict forced them to be more creative, because it prevented them from falling back on normal TV tropes.
JirinPanthosa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2013, 03:48 AM   #29
JiNX-01
Admiral

View JiNX-01's Twitter Profile

WesleysDisciple wrote: View Post
heard this episode created a lot of controversy, but its a bit less widely talked a bout then "Dear doctor" for some reason

anyone here who hates in the pale moonlight, who feels it was selling Rodenberry cheap to play on a love of angsts or whatever.
I thought it was a great episode. I absolutely adore Garak. He's my favorite DS9 character.

So, if you don't like characters who are flawed, I recommend The Next Generation. All of the main characters are descendants of Mary Poppins and will quickly put you to .
-- Mahatma Gandhi --
JiNX-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2013, 12:58 PM   #30
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Roddenberry's vision is great.

In The Pale Moonlight is great, though not Roddenberry's vision.
I think In the Pale Moonlight is a natural outgrowth of Roddenberry's vision. Whether it be Roddenberry of 1966 or 1987.

Once you achieve paradise, what are you willing to do to protect it when its very existence is in danger?