Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old April 2 2013, 03:51 PM   #166
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Re: Classic Who on BBC America

Yeah, I probably would say Department Store Dummy rather than Shop Dummy.
Old April 2 2013, 04:13 PM   #167
Redfern
Commodore

Saying it is easy, but when one is a "hunt and peck" typist like myself, I try to take the easy road.

Maybe I should in invest in one of those voice recognition, "voice to text" applications. Except I tend to stutter and ramble. Looks like I'm %^&#ed either way.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2013, 06:48 PM   #168
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^ Just fricking learn how to type. It isn't hard and it's a skill that keeps on giving.
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2013, 06:54 PM   #169
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
^ Just fricking learn how to type. It isn't hard and it's a skill that keeps on giving.
Do you assume everyone has the exact same skill set you have? Perhaps someone has differing motor functions, or has lost the use of various digits. Instead of being happy someone is overcoming whatever limitations they may have, you're criticizing? Not cool.
Old April 2 2013, 07:01 PM   #170
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

I'm not criticizing, just making a recommendation. But, if the person has other factors involved, sure, the recommended approach will change.
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 01:04 AM   #171
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

The ugliness of that period in the 70s made that plastic baby factory even creepier. That looked like a horrible place to go to work.

Watching this again it's weird how casual the whole production is like everyone's doing just enough. Some of the sound can only be charitably described as "audible", like enough to make out what is being said. Just the most simple of blocking and delivery and what not. Did anyone run or even hurry in this whole story?

I liked Liz Shaw though and her coat with the white panels was kind of interesting. Her and the Doctor get on well enough but the whole thing is a bit too cozy. It seemed the later episodes had a bit more snap to them.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 01:27 AM   #172
Christopher
Writer

As for the production values, it turns out that after the location/filmed parts of the production were completed, the union that operated the video cameras in the studio went on strike for more pay, so they had to complete the whole thing on 16mm film (since those cameramen were in a different union). The people who assembled sets were also on strike, so the whole thing had to be shot on location. I can't find any indication that the sound recordists were on strike too, so I suppose the technology at the time just didn't enable very good audio on location, or at least on the locations they had available to pass as UNIT HQ. (And it turns out they really did shoot at Madame Tussaud's.)

But because this was the only DW installment (other than the '96 movie) to be shot entirely on film, it's ironically the only classic story suitable to be released on Blu-Ray.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 02:53 AM   #173
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

^ interesting details

And I don't see classic Who on Netflix streaming anymore so we can't complain about their episode selections anymore...
Old April 3 2013, 06:09 AM   #174
cylkoth
Commodore

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
^ interesting details

And I don't see classic Who on Netflix streaming anymore so we can't complain about their episode selections anymore...
The limited package the BBC licensed to the US service are still available.
http://instantwatcher.com/titles?q=C...s=1&infinite=0

The blue Play button is present on the few title pages I checked before posting the link here.
Old April 3 2013, 03:19 PM   #175
diankra
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
I can't find any indication that the sound recordists were on strike too, so I suppose the technology at the time just didn't enable very good audio on location, or at least on the locations they had available to pass as UNIT HQ.
The studio sound technicians may or may not have been on strike, but with no studio cameramen working they wouldn't have been of any use (film sound was done by different people, probably from a different union, so trying to use the studio sound people would likely have led to another demarcation strike).
Getting the extra resources to shoot the studio scenes on film was a touch and go job, so they'd have had to accept any film sound people they could get, experienced or not, and probably not for as long as they'd like to have had them.
Technology obviously wouldn't be an explanation for Spearhead having noticeably weaker location sound than other stories of the time. Lack of time would be.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 03:26 PM   #176
Christopher
Writer

^Okay, that would explain it, then. Thanks.

But it's amazing how much of Doctor Who was shaped by the perennial labor (sorry, labour) disputes at the BBC. Like how the early Tom Baker seasons were shaped by the ongoing dispute over which union was responsible for the TARDIS console -- the set department said it was a special effect, the FX department said it was a set piece. So we never saw the console room in Baker's entire first season, and then a couple of years later we got the retro wood-paneled console room with the simpler, time-rotor-free console.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 04:35 PM   #177
diankra
Commodore

^Okay, that would explain it, then. Thanks.

But it's amazing how much of Doctor Who was shaped by the perennial labor (sorry, labour) disputes at the BBC. Like how the early Tom Baker seasons were shaped by the ongoing dispute over which union was responsible for the TARDIS console -- the set department said it was a special effect, the FX department said it was a set piece. So we never saw the console room in Baker's entire first season, and then a couple of years later we got the retro wood-paneled console room with the simpler, time-rotor-free console.
That's Britain in the 1970s, to be blunt. Even people who loathe Thatcher tend to agree that something had to be done about the abuse of union power and the silly inter-union disputes, even if they think she went too far with it.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 05:21 PM   #178
Csalem
Commodore

Adam Garcia was in Coyote Ugly, the only thing I can remember him being in.
Old April 3 2013, 05:51 PM   #179
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

cylkoth wrote: View Post
Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
^ interesting details

The limited package the BBC licensed to the US service are still available.
http://instantwatcher.com/titles?q=C...s=1&infinite=0

The blue Play button is present on the few title pages I checked before posting the link here.
I see them in my Netflix app but not playable on the Netflix website. Weird.
Old April 4 2013, 12:33 AM   #180
DWF
Vice Admiral

diankra wrote: View Post
I can't find any indication that the sound recordists were on strike too, so I suppose the technology at the time just didn't enable very good audio on location, or at least on the locations they had available to pass as UNIT HQ.
The studio sound technicians may or may not have been on strike, but with no studio cameramen working they wouldn't have been of any use (film sound was done by different people, probably from a different union, so trying to use the studio sound people would likely have led to another demarcation strike).
Getting the extra resources to shoot the studio scenes on film was a touch and go job, so they'd have had to accept any film sound people they could get, experienced or not, and probably not for as long as they'd like to have had them.
Technology obviously wouldn't be an explanation for Spearhead having noticeably weaker location sound than other stories of the time. Lack of time would be.
There's another reason for the sound quality at the plant, the soundtrack was altered to remove a song by Fleetwood Mac, the song has since been replaced in the special edition of the story on DVD.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is online now   Reply With Quote