Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old April 2 2013, 06:22 PM   #31
Use of Time
Commodore

Re: MLB Season Discussion - 2013

The summary of his minor leage stint last year is a 305 hitter with 18 home runs. He only had 189 AB's with Mississippi. Its kind of dickish to call someone recovering from depression a headcase when they have seemingly recovered years ago. You seem to want to transpose prior year stats as an indicator of future performance.

Spring training doesn't mean players are carry over into their season statistics but it does mean they can earn a chance for playing time. Geez, its not like they inked him to a contract like Verlander's, he won a platoon catching job hitting in the eight hole. As far as who plays more this is Fredi's exact quote.
"I think we'll play it by ear," Gonzalez said. "We know what he can do offensively. I didn't tell him he was going to be the backup guy. He could split time with Laird right down the middle, or maybe he could get even more time."
Its no gurantee that Gattis will go down when Mac gets back either. He was orginally an outfielder and the talk is that if he impresses during the first two months, he could find playing time in the outfield on the other players rest days.

Last edited by Use of Time; April 2 2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old April 2 2013, 06:49 PM   #32
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Use of Time wrote: View Post
The summary of his minor leage stint last year is a 305 hitter with 18 home runs. He only had 189 AB's with Mississippi.
That .305 average was driven by beating the tar out of advanced A pitchers. It's hardly meaningful, and as I said, he hasn't even seen AAA pitching yet, and those 182 ABs in AA were pretty miserable.

I'm not saying Gattis is a lost cause (he does have a good eye for walks), but his past performance is far from stellar.

Its kind of dickish to call someone recovering from depression a headcase when they have seemingly recovered.
From an objective standpoint, it's absolutely a factor when evaluating his makeup. It's the same reason no one wanted to go longer than four or five years on Josh Hamilton; they didn't want to be on the hook if he started drinking or snorting coke again.

You seem to want to transpose prior year stats as an indicator of future performance.
Past performance is generally how talent is evaluated, yes.

Geez, its not like they inked him to a contract like Verlander's, he won a platoon catching job hitting in the eight hole. Its going to be ok, besides, you already pointed out that the alternative is Gerald Laird. Its no gurantee that Gattis will go down when Mac gets back either. He was orginally an outfielder and the talk is that if he impresses during the first two months, he could find playing time in the outfield on the other players rest days.
Well, Gattis' prospect value takes a huge hit if he goes to the outfield, given how marginal he already is; being a 26-year-old who until now has never gotten above AA is not a good place to be.

Again, I'm not saying he's terrible or a lost cause, I'm just saying that expectations should be pretty low. He mashed in rookie ball and hit a pretty hard wall in AA. Fredi's going to ride Laird until Gattis proves he can actually handle legitimate major-league pitchers.
Old April 2 2013, 07:25 PM   #33
Use of Time
Commodore

Yes exactly, I never said this guy would be a world beater. I'm saying he had a decent spring and showed some upside in his minor league career which translated into him spinning that into a part time catching gig while Mac is on the shelf. Not saying he is going to be great but as you already pointed out, he is competing with Gerald Laird so of course he can easily exceed expactations. The Braves have nothing to lose by plugging in a platooning 26 year old rookie in the 8 hole. If he underachieves then it makes the decision easy when Mac comes back to demote him to AAA. Or who knows, maybe this kid has turned the corner and they catch lightning in a bottle. Nothing wrong with him getting at bats to see what he can do.

I am fully aware that stats are an evaluation of talent but they aren't the be all end all of that evaluation. The coaching staff makes a determination of how the player is progressing and what skill set they currently have; seeing the ball, batting stance adjustments,etc. You know as well as anybody that prior year stats are rarely indicative of a player as a whole. Look at Justin Upton. He had an MVP calibur year two years ago and then struggled last year. There comes a time when you give a guy the chance and find out with your own eyes if the guy can play at the big league level.
Old April 2 2013, 10:48 PM   #34
Pondwater
Fleet Captain

I love this thread for the fact that there are two or more posts discussing Braves Baseball. A few of the other forums I used to visit are Yankees/Phillies centered.

Last night's game was wonderful! Anytime the Phillies lose is wonderful.

Anyone notice that Uggs went back to his old batting stance?
Old April 2 2013, 11:39 PM   #35
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

I don't care what Dan Uggla does as long as he continues to hit like he did last night.

Braves have finally removed the Cursed Locker

That thing was pure evil.
Old April 3 2013, 12:54 AM   #36
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

The Braves have nothing to lose by plugging in a platooning 26 year old rookie in the 8 hole.
Outside of the possibility to completely wreck whatever potential he still has. When a guy is clueless at the plate in almost 200 AB against AA pitching, the correct move is not to move him up to the majors, it is to see how he does against AAA arms before rushing him up. If he was so stymied by mid-minor pitchers, it stands to reason that he may have issues higher up.

Basically, having a guy learn at the major-league level is not the way to develop talent.
Old April 3 2013, 03:58 AM   #37
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Well, there went Yu Darvish's perfect game... with two out and the bottom of the 9th.
Old April 3 2013, 12:03 PM   #38
Use of Time
Commodore

Timby wrote: View Post
The Braves have nothing to lose by plugging in a platooning 26 year old rookie in the 8 hole.
Outside of the possibility to completely wreck whatever potential he still has. When a guy is clueless at the plate in almost 200 AB against AA pitching, the correct move is not to move him up to the majors, it is to see how he does against AAA arms before rushing him up. If he was so stymied by mid-minor pitchers, it stands to reason that he may have issues higher up.

Basically, having a guy learn at the major-league level is not the way to develop talent.
Completely wreck him? Thats a tad bit sensationalisic. He is 26 years old. Most players are entering their prime at this point. You say clueless at the plate? He hit 256 with a considerable amount of walks and not a lot of strikeouts. He is a contact hitter as confirmed by his spring report. Good eye for the ball with good power. 256 isn't good by any means but it is definately not clueless. Its simply middle of the road. Again, the Braves have nothing to lose with him mostly because he is 26 years old and they don't really care all that much if they wreck him seeing as how their No.2 overall prospect is catcher Christian Betencourt currently playing in Mississippi. The Braves know that Gattis isn't going to be McCann's heir apparant hence them rolling the dice. I don't know. I guess I just don't see this being the immense trainwreck that you seem to think it is. Besides if it doesn't work out, oh well, he goes back to AAA and gets those at bats.

You know Freddie Freeman hit 248 with his stint at AA Mississippi and then hit 319 the next year in Gwinnet. Hell Brian McCann hit 264 in AA and never even sniffed AAA. Coaches don't go off of stats alone or else nobody would make it past AA. Coaches want to see quality at bats and a good approach at the plate above all else. When they think that you are mature enough to provide that then you can get the nod to go to the next level. Most MLB players playing today have really crappy AA numbers if you go look. Bottom line coaches make the call on whether a player is ready or not.
Old April 3 2013, 10:36 PM   #39
Ryan8bit
Commodore

Pondwater wrote: View Post
I love this thread for the fact that there are two or more posts discussing Braves Baseball. A few of the other forums I used to visit are Yankees/Phillies centered.
That sounds dreadful. Especially for this season.

I'm just chiming in one of these baseball threads for the first time. I'm a Twins fan, which I guess makes me a glutton for punishment.
Old April 3 2013, 10:53 PM   #40
Skywalker
Admiral

I loved seeing the Red Sox smash the Yankees on Monday. I'm not expecting great things from them this year, I just hope that they'll be entertaining to watch.
Old April 4 2013, 03:43 AM   #41
Use of Time
Commodore

The Braves are thumpers but they are going to strike out a lot. Nice night for Maholm and the offense roughed up Halladay who looked somewhat under the weather tonight. Gattis takes him deep in his debut while his dad was being interviewed. That was a cool moment. Justin goes deep again and Heyward gets his first. I swear that Heyward gets the attention but Freddie Freeman might be the best offensive player on this team.
Old April 4 2013, 04:11 AM   #42
Pegaritaville
Vice Admiral

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
Pondwater wrote: View Post
That sounds dreadful. Especially for this season.

I'm just chiming in one of these baseball threads for the first time. I'm a Twins fan, which I guess makes me a glutton for punishment.
Go Twins! Glad to see another fan. I must also be a glutton for punishment, but I'll keep rooting for the Twinkies. I can't say I'm expecting a lot, but I do think they'll beat beat the Vegas odds, which have them losing 94 games.
Old April 4 2013, 07:42 PM   #43
Ryan8bit
Commodore

I hope you're right. I'll stick with them even if they stay in last place like last year. I think that win against Detroit yesterday was pretty awesome. Hopefully they can build off of that instead of like last season's dreadful 0-4 start.
Old April 5 2013, 02:35 PM   #44
Use of Time
Commodore

Cliff Lee is the only Phillies ace that seemed to have command of his stuff during the Braves series. He pounded the zone last night getting ahead on just about every hitter he faced. Medlan was really struggling with command last night but still turned in a 2 run, 5 inning performance.

B.J. Upton looks completely lost up there right now while Justin is getting some really quality at bats. Like last year, the Braves will likely struggle against good left handed pitching.

The Phillies offense is really lacking any structure. Chase Utley appears to be as healthy as possible right now which is going to be huge for them. As Howard ages his swing gets longer and slower. He is really starting to decline rapidly but still a threat whenever he connects. They are really going to need guys like Dom Brown and John Mayberry to step up and perform like they are expected to if they want a shot at the playoffs.
Old April 5 2013, 04:54 PM   #45
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Yeah, that analysis is about right. It's too early in the season to really get a sense of everything, but it's nice to see Lee get a win in April (last year his first win was in June or July).