Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 26 2013, 10:53 PM   #31
sojourner
Admiral

Re: Revolution - season 1 part 2 -

Yay! one less annoying teen!
Old March 27 2013, 02:19 AM   #32
Yoda
Rear Admiral

That ep was pretty lame. I might give it to the end of the season, but I think it's hopeless. For killing off a character I was hoping would just die ever since the pilot... that was not very satisfying.

Also, did they all stuff themselves in the fucking fridge (in about 3 seconds) like fucking Indiana Jones 4? For fuck's sake.
Old March 27 2013, 06:34 AM   #33
JD
Admiral

Well, that was just a regular explosive, not a nuclear bomb, so I don't think the situations are that similar.
As for the episode,I thought it was great. I saw an ad that said someone would die, but I must admit I didn't expect Danny to bite it so soon after they found him. But like Enterprise is Great said, it does give the rest of the Mathesons and Aaron a more personal stake in the fight against Monroe. I was glad to see Jason finally turn on his dad, I've been expecting that for most of the season, so it was nice to actually see it happen so soon into the second half of the season. I did not expect them to destroy the helicopter and the medallion so soon. I figured we'd get at least of handful of episodes with them around, tut then I guess that might have made Monroe too strong. I also didn't expect Randall and Monroe to join forces, but it is kind of nice to see those two thread braided together.
Old March 27 2013, 07:32 AM   #34
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Even if you buy the fridge saving them from the rockets which clearly penetrated into the diner before exploding... they were literally a short jog from Monroe HQ. What.. nobody tried to follow them on foot? Then the helicopter with dudes on the side hovers 3 feet over the ground without landing and them hopping out to take a look at their handiwork?

Just another pointlessly overdone cliffhanger (by Sci-Fi shows in general) followed up by a nonsensical resolution to get out of the corner they had written themselves into.

Would it really have killed them to have them do something intelligent to evade capture? Get into thicker tree cover and split up to rendezvous later? Something?

Also... "Aim for that one! The amplifier's gotta be on that one!" Wait what? Did I miss something? Was there any reason it 'had' to be in that one? The only story logic I remember was that it would power anything within a certain range... so either the amplified helicopter would be responsible for staying within range of the other or vice versa... there's no obvious necessary strategy there...

So what does that leave? Well, seeing as the amplifier is the most valuable object in the world as far as they know if anything the helicopter carrying it would be under orders to be the more 'defensive' of the two. So which helicopter had it in the end? Why of course it was the one that took the initial aggressive strafing run and exposed itself to small arms fire including losing its side gunner to hot chick 90 degree snap no scope Call of Duty YouTube Montage epic killcam.
Old March 27 2013, 08:13 AM   #35
Borgminister

It isn't The Walking Dead, that's for sure. Lots of close-ups and pretty people, but substance is woefully lacking. No emotional resonance to the death of the brother, really, with back-story filled in as a plot device for the episode. As opposed to the organic growth of Merle and brother culminating in that gruesome ending.

Meh.
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 12:25 PM   #36
Bob Morton
Lieutenant Commander

I don't mind the show so much but I acknowledge that it is all style over substance.

I like how in the pilot people were being thrown back 10 feet after being hit with the arrow from a crossbow and now, 10 episodes later, the brother takes four 50 caliber bullets and barely takes a step back.
Bob Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 07:33 PM   #37
Caliburn24
Commodore

Horrible writing, horrible characterizations. Horrible logic and action that made no sense.

But it all served to get rid of some of the excess baggage the show was lugging around, and give our main character a stake in the fight. So structurally it puts the show in a better place moving forward. We'll see if the show can take advantage of it.

Oh, and it was 7.62mm rounds, not 50cal.=p But yeah he should have been knocked down or possibly cut in half.
Caliburn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2013, 04:09 PM   #38
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Last night's episode is OK. Anyone else see it?
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2013, 06:28 PM   #39
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

I like that the guy Miles and Nora went looking for took the name Henry Bemis after he left the militia and is now running a library. Henry Bemis of course is the character played by Burgess Meredith in the classic Twilight Zone episode Time Enough at Last.

Governor Affleck of California?
Old April 2 2013, 06:47 PM   #40
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Eh, it was OK. I was glad to see someone finally say, "Just tell me what's going on!" Geez.

Nice to see the guy from Alphas; glad he's got a new gig. Funny how the library had an entire section devoted to Stephen King and someone is holding The Stand and saying, "It's about the end of the world."

I still think super-teen-girl is the most boring character on the show.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2013, 06:54 PM   #41
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post

Governor Affleck of California?
Yea that was hilarious. At least we to more of the backstory on Randall Flynn.

Anyone catch it but it's obvious that the writers are giving Stephen King's character Randall Flagg, and homage in the series by naming the antagonist, Flynn.

As an aside, the writers of the Walking Dead did the same for King by naming the fictional county Rick was from, "King County, GA," when no such place exists.

auntiehill wrote: View Post
Eh, it was OK. I was glad to see someone finally say, "Just tell me what's going on!" Geez.

Nice to see the guy from Alphas; glad he's got a new gig. Funny how the library had an entire section devoted to Stephen King and someone is holding The Stand and saying, "It's about the end of the world."

I still think super-teen-girl is the most boring character on the show.
See above, the writers are OD'ing on King in Revolution.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2013, 07:22 PM   #42
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Ok I'll tell you everything... there's this place it's called... the tower *cut to black*

Really? Was that supposed to be a cliffhanger? Are we all mad-excited to know more? Frothing at the mouth?

It was an OK episode I guess, but the tone of this show is all wrong. Really... General Whatshisbooger, Bemis, and Whatsherbooger... their attack plan is to offer to let the guy surrender, followed by the 3v20 sword assault? I mean, I can accept the 3v20 sword win in a TV show. I mean, it's fiction.. I get it. That's fine. But for that to be the actual plan? I can only accept it if they're in a situation gone horribly wrong. I mean shit at least try to ambush them at some point where they're not expecting it.

Too cartoony.

And so Receding Hairline G-Man has some motivation for accidentally destroying the world. And he sees an opportunity to rebuild the world the way it should be. Great! That's good villain stuff. But really that would have worked a lot better if the dead kid in Afghanistan had a little build-up. I'm feeling a serious lack of subtlety in this show.
Old April 2 2013, 09:53 PM   #43
Marten
Captain

I really don't think he intented to cause the blackout, but stressed it since he wanted to revenge his son. You have to be awfully cruel to want to condemn the world to the horrors of a sudden blackout. Most supervillains probably would think it's a step to far.

I loved the kids playing with electricity-line, though.

One thought. If they destroy all these pendants, which seems possible if you know how to open them, is there a way to build new ones? Rachel has said that the key to turning on the lights has to do with them, and without them, the world should be screwed. If getting electricity back even is a good thing, I'm not really sure about that.
Marten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2013, 11:20 PM   #44
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Which is why I used the word "accidentally".
Old April 3 2013, 05:28 AM   #45
JD
Admiral

Marten wrote: View Post
I really don't think he intented to cause the blackout, but stressed it since he wanted to revenge his son. You have to be awfully cruel to want to condemn the world to the horrors of a sudden blackout. Most supervillains probably would think it's a step to far.

I loved the kids playing with electricity-line, though.

One thought. If they destroy all these pendants, which seems possible if you know how to open them, is there a way to build new ones? Rachel has said that the key to turning on the lights has to do with them, and without them, the world should be screwed. If getting electricity back even is a good thing, I'm not really sure about that.
If I had to guess, and this is pure speculation, that could be why Flynn said he wanted Rachel, and didn't care about the pendants. He knows that Rachel & Co. know how to make more pendants, and he wants to get them all working to make them just for him and Monroe.
As for the episode, I really enjoyed it. We got some good character moments for Rachel & Charlie, learned a little bit more about what went down between Miles & Monroe, we got some pretty good action scenes, and we saw the first steps in the Flynn/Monroe alliance.