RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,077
Posts: 5,398,052
Members: 24,734
Currently online: 570
Newest member: DaddlerTheDalek

TrekToday headlines

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 24 2013, 07:40 PM   #46
Lt. Cheka Wey
Commander
 
Re: Is Rod Roddenberry kind of a douche?

BillJ wrote: View Post
junxon wrote: View Post
ok, overshadowed + laziness = rod

but still don't think calling him a douche is warranted
He reached douche status for me when he said he was glad his dad cheated on his mom because it made him more human.
Did her mom know about it? Did she care?

Last edited by Lt. Cheka Wey; March 24 2013 at 11:08 PM.
Lt. Cheka Wey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 06:30 PM   #47
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Is Rod Roddenberry kind of a douche?

Nothing I've read about him suggests he's as big a douche as his father.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 02:41 AM   #48
Anji
Rear Admiral
 
Anji's Avatar
 
Location: Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
View Anji's Twitter Profile
Re: Is Rod Roddenberry kind of a douche?

Why are you all trashing the kid? He's just a KID! He grew up in Hollywood part of a very protective family.

Did he know his father? No, but then neither would anyone if they lost a parent when they were teenagers...because when you're a teenager you're busy being a teenager and you don't pay too much attention to your parents.

As far as Majel not caring, oh no, to the contrary, she cared too much. She cared so much she let him get away with it. I have never seen a woman so in love with a man as she was with Roddenberry. It must have been very painful for her to hear the stories of his relationships. She was an outstanding woman who put up with far more bullpoop than she needed to.

Now if you want to say that the movie he did about finding his father was done poorly, then, yes, I would say that he needed more help in organizing his thoughts on film. But a douche no.

He's a kid who grew up in a sheltered family and has no idea how difficult real life is like. I feel sorry for him when reality hits him he will be in for quite a shock.

And reality comes for us all.
__________________
"You may be wrong, but you may be right." - Billy Joel
Anji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 09:27 PM   #49
xortex
Commodore
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
Re: Is Rod Roddenberry kind of a douche?

He makes me laugh like an over sized surfer dude who probably hated the giant shadow his father placed over him rightly so and resents it or even hates it or him at times. But he looks so out of place speaking at Nasa that we're lucky they didn't cancel the whole space program altogether because of him. LOL. He seems clueless and unfortunate (I would like to be that unfortunate) but he kind of looks like he's being constantly kicked through a door into a room that he doesn't belong in. You want the next universe over to the left. I like him better than the Manny Coto evil clown that killed Star Trek. At least Rod has been fairly innocuous so far though I don't care to ever see anything he's done or has to say about Trek.
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 01:18 AM   #50
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Is Rod Roddenberry kind of a douche?

Anji wrote: View Post
Why are you all trashing the kid? He's just a KID! He grew up in Hollywood part of a very protective family.

Did he know his father? No, but then neither would anyone if they lost a parent when they were teenagers...because when you're a teenager you're busy being a teenager and you don't pay too much attention to your parents.

As far as Majel not caring, oh no, to the contrary, she cared too much. She cared so much she let him get away with it. I have never seen a woman so in love with a man as she was with Roddenberry. It must have been very painful for her to hear the stories of his relationships. She was an outstanding woman who put up with far more bullpoop than she needed to.

Now if you want to say that the movie he did about finding his father was done poorly, then, yes, I would say that he needed more help in organizing his thoughts on film. But a douche no.

He's a kid who grew up in a sheltered family and has no idea how difficult real life is like. I feel sorry for him when reality hits him he will be in for quite a shock.

And reality comes for us all.
He's 39 years old, hardly a kid.

Just how sheltered a life did this "kid "lead"? Haven't seen the film so I'm not sure. Or are we just making generalization about how "rich kids" live.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 08:05 PM   #51
Galileo7
Fleet Captain
 
Galileo7's Avatar
 
Location: U.S.A.
Re: Is Rod Roddenberry kind of a douche?

mos6507 wrote: View Post
I think the problem I have with Rod is that he presents himself as though he has some sort of Hollywood street-cred and he doesn't. I don't think he's written or produced anything. I think if he wants to follow in his father's footsteps, by all means, but he has to put some work into it. But his main source of money seems to be from selling prop recreations. While his dad was not unknown for merchandising, and Majel ran Lincoln Enterprises, Gene certainly was a capable writer who managed to navigate through Hollywood and get things done, and Rod isn't. And so I just don't take him seriously. I don't know what he has to offer the world of science-fiction other than some anecdotes from his childhood.
Agree. Treknation filmed visit of Rod to Skywalker Ranch was uncomfortable to watch from the gate guard interaction to the sit down interview with Lucas.
Galileo7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2013, 04:11 AM   #52
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Is Rod Roddenberry kind of a douche?

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Anji wrote: View Post
Why are you all trashing the kid? He's just a KID! He grew up in Hollywood part of a very protective family.

Did he know his father? No, but then neither would anyone if they lost a parent when they were teenagers...because when you're a teenager you're busy being a teenager and you don't pay too much attention to your parents.

As far as Majel not caring, oh no, to the contrary, she cared too much. She cared so much she let him get away with it. I have never seen a woman so in love with a man as she was with Roddenberry. It must have been very painful for her to hear the stories of his relationships. She was an outstanding woman who put up with far more bullpoop than she needed to.

Now if you want to say that the movie he did about finding his father was done poorly, then, yes, I would say that he needed more help in organizing his thoughts on film. But a douche no.

He's a kid who grew up in a sheltered family and has no idea how difficult real life is like. I feel sorry for him when reality hits him he will be in for quite a shock.

And reality comes for us all.
He's 39 years old, hardly a kid.

Just how sheltered a life did this "kid "lead"? Haven't seen the film so I'm not sure. Or are we just making generalization about how "rich kids" live.
I already replied to another one of her Anji's posts and told her that. Either she didn't see it or she really wants to view him as a kid.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 09:03 AM   #53
Danger Ace
Commander
 
Danger Ace's Avatar
 
Location: California
Re: Is Rod Roddenberry kind of a douche?

James T. Vader wrote: View Post
I watched his documentary he made, and one thing struck me was that Majel basically had nothing to say to him. He admitted to being a spoiled punk and didn't get along with his father and now 2 decades later has decided to cash in his father's creation.
Like others I could only make it halfway through his documentary. The cynic in me does feel he is trying to find a niche or foothold in the world of "Star Trek" (it is kinda the family business). But I also think there was some real effort to try and get to know his father and his legacy - he was only 17 when his dad passed, and, in time, discovered just how much he had taken for granted.

The bit with Majel Barrett was odd and uncomfortable to watch. She actually struck me as having been crying and I shared her questioning of what exactly Rod was looking to discover. Part of that I feel is that GR's image and mythology had been cultivated and protected for years and that Majel worried Rod would or could undo all that.

In the end, I tend to give Rod Roddenberry the benefit of the doubt. His professed ignorance of Star Trek and lack of any intimate knowledge or insight to the Trek-verse, however, also means that I feel he has no real standing in it.
__________________
Yours Truly,
Vic Falcone
Danger Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 08:17 AM   #54
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Is Rod Roddenberry kind of a douche?

Anji wrote: View Post
As far as Majel not caring, oh no, to the contrary, she cared too much. She cared so much she let him get away with it. I have never seen a woman so in love with a man as she was with Roddenberry. It must have been very painful for her to hear the stories of his relationships. She was an outstanding woman who put up with far more bullpoop than she needed to.
Well, of course, for many years Majel herself was "the other woman". She was Roddenberry's mistress while he was married to Eileen and raising his family.

Welcome to Hollywood.
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 10:03 AM   #55
Danger Ace
Commander
 
Danger Ace's Avatar
 
Location: California
Re: Is Rod Roddenberry kind of a douche?

Anji wrote: View Post
As far as Majel not caring, oh no, to the contrary, she cared too much. She cared so much she let him get away with it. I have never seen a woman so in love with a man as she was with Roddenberry. It must have been very painful for her to hear the stories of his relationships. She was an outstanding woman who put up with far more bullpoop than she needed to.
At the risk of sounding insensitive, let's remember Majel Barrett was once the other woman as Gene Roddenberry was married to someone else (Eileen Rexroat) with two daughters. She was also aware of his having multiple affairs at the time (Nichelle Nichols, etc ...). He was a swinger and always on the prowl. She knew the deal and some would say her pain was karma - that she was experiencing the pain and suffering she helped inflict upon others.

It also begs the question, what kind of person was Gene Roddenberry really? What was the quality of his character? Not the facade or manicured public persona, but the real, under-it-all human-being?

As much as I love "Star Trek," I have just heard and read too many stories from too many different close sources to realisticly feel Gene Roddenberry was a person that I would want to know or associate with.
__________________
Yours Truly,
Vic Falcone
Danger Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 12:45 PM   #56
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Is Rod Roddenberry kind of a douche?

Danger Ace wrote: View Post

It also begs the question, what kind of person was Gene Roddenberry really? What was the quality of his character? Not the facade or manicured public persona, but the real, under-it-all human-being?
He was a douchebag of epic proportions, no doubt about it. From the lying, to the adultery, to taking credit for others work.

Kind of sad the hero worship some folks give him.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2013, 03:41 AM   #57
Navigator_NCC2120
Captain
 
Navigator_NCC2120's Avatar
 
Location: Sol 3
Re: Is Rod Roddenberry kind of a douche?

BillJ wrote: View Post
Danger Ace wrote: View Post

It also begs the question, what kind of person was Gene Roddenberry really? What was the quality of his character? Not the facade or manicured public persona, but the real, under-it-all human-being?
He was a douchebag of epic proportions, no doubt about it. From the lying, to the adultery, to taking credit for others work.

Kind of sad the hero worship some folks give him.
I remember listening to an audio only interview of DeForest Kelley online a few years ago, who said Gene Roddenberry had an underhanded way about him to get things done. He may have also said if GR wasn't underhanded there may not have been a "Star Trek" television series. I don't remember when the interview was originally recorded.


Navigator NCC-2120 USS Entente
/\
__________________
Stokely: In an insane society, the sane man must appear insane.
Harvey Holroyd: Where'd you get that?
Stokely: Star Trek. [leaves the room]
Harvey Holroyd: [to himself] God, I miss that show. (Source: "Serial", 1980.)
Navigator_NCC2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2013, 04:30 AM   #58
Melakon
Vice Admiral
 
Melakon's Avatar
 
Location: Unmarked grave, Ekos
Re: Is Rod Roddenberry kind of a douche?

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
He's 39 years old, hardly a kid.
It depends on the perspective of the person speaking. Someone 39 might be considered a kid if the other person is 10 or 15 years older. The funniest thing I ever heard at 19 was my 101 year old grandfather calling my 70-ish aunt and uncle "kids".
__________________
Moe: I'll take the blonde!
Larry: I'll take the brunette!
Curly: I'll take the Black and Tan!
--Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
Melakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2013, 04:55 AM   #59
Danger Ace
Commander
 
Danger Ace's Avatar
 
Location: California
Re: Is Rod Roddenberry kind of a douche?

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
He's 39 years old, hardly a kid.
Late-30s is just about the age many look back for the first time with perspective and realize what they took for granted and what opportunities they should have made the most of when they were just a kid.

Just how sheltered a life did this "kid "lead"? Haven't seen the film so I'm not sure. Or are we just making generalization about how "rich kids" live.
Not a matter of being sheltered. To him, growing up with "Star Trek" since birth probably made it all white-noise. Very understandable.
__________________
Yours Truly,
Vic Falcone
Danger Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2013, 05:14 AM   #60
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Is Rod Roddenberry kind of a douche?

Melakon wrote:
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
He's 39 years old, hardly a kid.
It depends on the perspective of the person speaking. Someone 39 might be considered a kid if the other person is 10 or 15 years older. The funniest thing I ever heard at 19 was my 101 year old grandfather calling my 70-ish aunt and uncle "kids".
Oddly enough, I am about 15 years older than Rod.

Danger Ace wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
He's 39 years old, hardly a kid.
Late-30s is just about the age many look back for the first time with perspective and realize what they took for granted and what opportunities they should have made the most of when they were just a kid.
Which has little to do with him being called a "kid".

Just how sheltered a life did this "kid "lead"? Haven't seen the film so I'm not sure. Or are we just making generalization about how "rich kids" live.
Not a matter of being sheltered. To him, growing up with "Star Trek" since birth probably made it all white-noise. Very understandable.
But that's not what Anji was talking about.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.