RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,670
Members: 24,822
Currently online: 496
Newest member: The Great Duck

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old March 24 2013, 07:27 AM   #376
Lowdarzz
Captain

Re: Last Classic Who Story you watched

The King's Demons, The Five Doctors and Warriors of the Deep (Fifth Doctor).

The King's Demons was a fun historical tale with the obligatory sci-fi twist. A great explanation of the Master's motives in preventing the signing of the Magna Carta would have helped. Was he just screwing with the Doctor's favorite planet just for the hell of it or was this just a cog in a larger scheme?

While The Five Doctors told a fun story, I think The Three Doctors was a better tale overall. There were just too many characters and not enough things to do. Susan and Turlough were just left in the TARDIS and given a series of reaction shots. Despite this, I liked what interaction the various Doctors had with their companions and Richard Hurndall did well as the First Doctor.

Warriors of the Deep was an excellent story completely hampered by its execution. I watched the making-of documentary on the disc and understand that there were all sorts of production problems which gives it an excuse but Solow's attempted Kung-Fu against the Myrka just made me laugh. The idea of the Silurians using the cold war between two power blocks as a means to kill humanity off was great and was the redesign of the race itself. It's too bad they went with a more standard lizard with human face approach in Modern Who.
Lowdarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 04:15 PM   #377
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I watched The Suds of Death, er, The Seeds of Death. It's amazing how well some of the visuals hold up given that they were never meant to be watched on a 46" TV, or maybe even rewatched at all.

Having watched the German series Space Patrol (Raumpatrouille) Orion, Gia Kelly reminded me of Tamara Jagellovsk. When they showed the countdown reflected on her face it reminded me of Orion as well (not sure if they did that or I'm thinking of the intro countdown).
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 04:58 PM   #378
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Lowdarzz wrote: View Post
Warriors of the Deep was an excellent story completely hampered by its execution.
In my opinion Doctor Who and the Silurians and The Sea Devils are so good that Warriors of the Deep suffers in comparison. It's actually not that bad.
Old March 24 2013, 05:03 PM   #379
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Evil of the Daleks recon. Masterful storytelling.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 06:23 PM   #380
Pindar
Rear Admiral

View Pindar's Twitter Profile

Remembrance of the Daleks in honour of Pointless Celebrities.
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 06:31 PM   #381
Lonemagpie
Writer

The Rescue - nice little piece to introduce the new companion. Not bad, not a classic, but just... a nice little piece.

The Romans - wonderfully underrated classic that gives us the first example of DW so perfectly balancing being comedy and drama, with great high-points of both. And more Barbara pwnage as well. Derek Francis is great as Nero, there's lovely comic acting, the Doctor gets to be physical, there's much about how the Doctor goes in and solves problems (even though this hasn't actually happened much yet) and the Doctor tries hard (but fails) to not look as if he thinks it's cool to fuck about with history...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2013, 10:35 PM   #382
Candlelight
Admiral

Just watched Genesis of the Daleks.

Just as boring as I remember it.
Old March 25 2013, 03:29 AM   #383
Mr Pointy Ears
Captain

Shada,the unfinished tom baker story.
Mr Pointy Ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 02:36 PM   #384
Davros
Fleet Admiral

I enjoyed The Sun Makers this weekend.
Old March 25 2013, 02:45 PM   #385
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

In anticipation of meeting Daphne Ashbrook in a couple weeks, I re-watched The Enemy Within, the 8th Doctor movie, then watched it again with the two Doctors' commentary. Everything they said about her was lovely and complimentary. Something I found interesting, though I don't know that I believe it, is that Paul claims he hasn't seen the movie since it was aired back in 1996. He's only been in one single story, and he hasn't seen it since then? Either way, it still holds up quite nicely and it was good to see it again.
Old March 25 2013, 03:39 PM   #386
diankra
Commodore

OmahaStar wrote: View Post
Something I found interesting, though I don't know that I believe it, is that Paul claims he hasn't seen the movie since it was aired back in 1996. He's only been in one single story, and he hasn't seen it since then?
He's an actor. Lots of actors prefer not to watch their old work.
diankra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2013, 04:21 AM   #387
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

I've just watched The Reign of Terror. The Tardis Gang spends so much time getting captured and escaping from jail in this serial that I almost thought this was a third Doctor story!
Old April 2 2013, 04:34 AM   #388
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
I've just watched The Reign of Terror. The Tardis Gang spends so much time getting captured and escaping from jail in this serial that I almost thought this was a third Doctor story!
Say What? Did you mean First Doctor Reign of Terror or Third Doctor (Terror of the Autons?)

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2013, 04:38 AM   #389
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Say What? Did you mean First Doctor Reign of Terror or Third Doctor (Terror of the Autons?)
I mean The Reign of Terror, the fist Doctor story, where "our heroes" spend so much time getting captured that half the story takes place in a prison.
Old April 2 2013, 04:50 AM   #390
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
I mean The Reign of Terror, the fist Doctor story, where "our heroes" spend so much time getting captured that half the story takes place in a prison.
Oh...Oops... my bad I read the bolded part as

I almost forgot this was a third Doctor story

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote