Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old April 1 2013, 09:18 PM   #16
Grant
Fleet Captain

Re: TSFS BluRay - Letterboxed Opening Credits

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
I don't think that's the reason, though. On the DVDs there is no pillarboxing and there even is some space left on both sides of her name.

You are quite right--they never had that before on VHS, Laserdisc or DVD, but something to do with Blu-ray transfers causes studios to occasionally do that.

That makes it even more annoying.

It is clearly ONLY the credits not before or after. The windowboxing begins and ends exactly when the credits do. What other reason to do that than something to do with the credit graphics?

There was a goof up--somebody thought they needed to do that to save the names from being cut off, but clearly it is NOT needed as what you pointed out is true.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 09:26 PM   #17
Oso Blanco
Commodore

So, the credits are not windowboxed on the VHS and LD releases? That's strange ... I thought that maybe - since all BDs are the theatrical versions - that this is the way TSFS had been presented in theaters back then. But then, the VHS would also have the windowboxed credits, wouldn't it?
Old April 1 2013, 09:34 PM   #18
Grant
Fleet Captain

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
So, the credits are not windowboxed on the VHS and LD releases? That's strange ... I thought that maybe - since all BDs are the theatrical versions - that this is the way TSFS had been presented in theaters back then. But then, the VHS would also have the windowboxed credits, wouldn't it?

No, on the 'widesceen' versions on VHS and Laserdisc they did not make this mistake. They waited till the ultimate HD version to blow it.

If you watch it closely you can actually see them 'zoom out' at the beginning of the credits--revealing a blank area with no stars on the sides and just as the Enterprise appears on screen right you can see them zoom back in--with the picture once again filling the entire screen. awful!
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 10:17 PM   #19
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

It's distressing to see "windowboxing" now since HDTVs no longer overscan. It was necessary in the days of standard def and CRTs.
Old April 2 2013, 01:07 AM   #20
trevanian
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
I always thought The Search for Spock credit sequence looked incredibly cheap, regardless of format.
I remember hearing the clouds being flown through were left over from that same year's RED DAWN. That's pretty cheap all right.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2013, 02:46 AM   #21
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

Plenty of films re-use shots from other films. Back to the Future Part II uses aerial footage from FireFox. Raiders of the Lost Ark uses footage from Lost Horizon and The Hindenburg. There are more examples, but you get the point.