RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,700
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 766
Newest member: meshman63

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old April 1 2013, 08:55 PM   #16
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

Re: Does TOS Still Look Futuristic to You?

King Daniel wrote: View Post
It looks like a dated 60's vision of the future. That's part of the charm of Star Trek, IMO. Randomly blinking coloured squares for control panels and pictures hung up around the bridge masquerading as display screens.

But Star Trek: Enterprise did something very clever in "In a Mirror, Darkly" - they had the mirror NX-01 crew amazed at the bridge of the USS Defiant (which after vanishing in "The Tholian Web" somehow ended up in the past of the mirror universe) and how futuristic it looked. They treated the look of TOS as if it was technology meeting art, it's seeming cheesyness the whim of it's designer rather than the result of any limitations of 23rd century tech.
Agree, all good points.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 09:23 PM   #17
Metryq
Captain

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
That is pretty damn awesome. A shame it's just so short.
I know Spockboy busted his hump just rotoscoping the original cast, to say nothing of all the work put into the CGI bridge set. Bravo, Spockboy! I've been a fan of your work since seeing your "gag reel" of "A Piece of the Action." I'd love to get that one in better resolution.
Old April 2 2013, 12:13 AM   #18
RAMA
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
...with relatively smooth surfaces.
It's those smooth surfaces that serve to make it seem more futuristic than its offspring.

Not really..

But I have watched a handful of TOS-R lately, and I don't really mind it being out of date. Strictly speaking I don't watch it as a prediction of the exact future.
Old April 2 2013, 12:28 AM   #19
Dale Sams
Captain

It looks timeless to me, and the DS9 and Enterprise eps look amazing. I'd have no prob watching a TOS era show that looked exactly like it. The original bridge is classic. The Nu one is pretty much like anything that came after TNG. Just this mess of 'what am i looking at'?
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2013, 01:41 AM   #20
golddragon71
Lieutenant

spockboy wrote: View Post
If you liked the photoshopped pics, THIS will blow your mind.

https://vimeo.com/12023417

Spockboy
That was fantastic! It Maintained the level of reality in the original scene while updating the background of the set.
If I have one problem with the new effects in the remastered Star Trek TOS, It's that somehow, the CGI makes the ship look less real to me than it did in the old series. (If anything, It looks MORE like a toy model than it did originally)
Old April 2 2013, 02:03 AM   #21
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

golddragon71 wrote: View Post

Spockboy
That was fantastic!
I've not gone through it with a fine-tooth comb, but, at first blush, ditto!
Old April 2 2013, 02:05 AM   #22
Saito S
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to Saito S

maneth wrote: View Post
Nope, especially not the computers. Those look like what they are, a 60s blinking lights vision of the future. Of course, the one thing that really dates TOS in my eyes is the miniskirt (and no, that doesn't look any better in the Abramsverse either).
Agreed all around (including the miniskirt comment). I can appreciate some of TOS' better written episodes purely for their stories, but just about every element of the visuals and overall production design of the show is so dated as to be distracting.
BillJ wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
...with relatively smooth surfaces.
It's those smooth surfaces that serve to make it seem more futuristic than its offspring.
Eh, other way 'round, I'd say. Interestingly, though the less smooth, more detailed surfaces of the Ent-D, Defiant, etc. make those ships look better/more advanced from the outside, the more smooth, less blocky surfaces of control panels and such are what make them look more advanced from the inside.

Spockboy
ZOML! That is awesome work!
Saito S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2013, 02:37 AM   #23
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
Has your eye for the TOS look changed over time?
No. The interirors of the 1701 are timeless; have you noticed how the DS9 and Enterprise episodes featuring TOS sets look slick with modern cameras & lighting? Few surface details were changed, but designs created between 1964-66 look fantastic in the same episodes next to the standing interiors of the modern series ships.

After each episode aired, few complained about the TOS interiors being "outdated" or "old," but I do recall many compliments of the surprised nature.
Old April 2 2013, 02:40 AM   #24
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

Spockboy
Pretty damned amazing!
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2013, 02:52 AM   #25
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

TOS didn't look futuristic even watching as a child a few years later in the 70s. It does have a very deliberate stylization that's great to watch, all the beehives, miniskirts, funky boots, sideburns and all that plus the minimal approach to the ships, tech, and controls. Trek always took you somewhere fantastic but a vision from its day and I don't think completely unintentionally (like Buck Rogers years later).

I think it came out just before that crazy leap into the 70's. Think how much different shows looked ten years later, it was a huge change. When the Hayes code broke in the late 60s movies and TV became very different. Movies from 1966 and 1970 seem 20 years apart not four. If it had come out post-Space Odyssey I think it would've been a different beast. Combine that with the novelty of color TV at the time and you get a very vivid crazy 60s future.

But I wouldn't have it any other way. It's part of what makes TOS great.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2013, 03:13 AM   #26
Dale Sams
Captain

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
Has your eye for the TOS look changed over time?
No. The interirors of the 1701 are timeless; have you noticed how the DS9 and Enterprise episodes featuring TOS sets look slick with modern cameras & lighting? Few surface details were changed, but designs created between 1964-66 look fantastic in the same episodes next to the standing interiors of the modern series ships.

After each episode aired, few complained about the TOS interiors being "outdated" or "old," but I do recall many compliments of the surprised nature.
I *think* that the DS9 ep is filmed on 60's era film. I'm sure they did their best with the lighting too. But Enterprise also looks great. Especially the battle graphics.

edit: The Gorn on the other hand....errr....
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2013, 03:21 AM   #27
Joby
Fleet Captain

As a young child in the 80s TOS always looked fake and old to me, but the stories were so good that I didn't care all that much. Even as a kid I was smart enough to figure out that a bigger budget and more advances in special effects technology is why the TOS movies from the 1980s looked so different from the 1960s TV show.

Though I suspect whatever really looked fake to audiences in the 1960s would continue to look bad. I remember when the Borg cube was destroyed in TNG's Best of Both Worlds Part II, it looked really fake to me in 1990. But to someone born around that time or after, they may look at that scene and think it looks dated, when it always looked bad. It never "looked real". Again, it was the story that carried everything.
Joby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2013, 03:23 AM   #28
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

No. The interirors of the 1701 are timeless; have you noticed how the DS9 and Enterprise episodes featuring TOS sets look slick with modern cameras & lighting?
They do to Trek fans, yeah. That doesn't mean that they actually don't look dated.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2013, 06:28 AM   #29
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
No. The interirors of the 1701 are timeless; have you noticed how the DS9 and Enterprise episodes featuring TOS sets look slick with modern cameras & lighting?
They do to Trek fans, yeah. That doesn't mean that they actually don't look dated.
Trek fans would be the biggest critics about that; they have a franchise that was able to enjoy advancement in art direction / technology over the decades, so they would know what still works and what does not.

How about you--what did you think of the Defiant interiors as seen in the ENT two-parter?
Old April 2 2013, 07:00 AM   #30
scotpens
Vice Admiral

. . . As part of its mission, TOS was supposed to get more people to buy color TV sets. I think there was even a business deal between NBC and RCA, but I'm vague on that.
RCA is the parent company of NBC.

Wiki article

IMHO, the original Enterprise bridge is still one of the most practical, functional and believable sets ever created for a sci-fi film or TV production. And, while the TOS Engineering set may not look "real," at least it doesn't look like a beer factory.

Sure, the look of Trek TOS is dated in the way that everything becomes dated. But it also has a timeless quality, in no small part because of the deliberate minimalism of its set design. This piece has been referenced here before, but it's worth another read.