Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old April 1 2013, 11:09 PM   #16
Kira's Mom
Fleet Admiral

View Kira's Mom's Twitter Profile
Re: MLB Season Discussion - 2013

Tom Hendricks wrote: View Post
The Mets had a nice win, pounding out 11 runs including a grand slam. Nothing like starting out the season undefeated and first place. Except being tied with Washington. Speaking of which, Bryce Harper hit two solo home runs today.
My two favorite teams tied. Love it. Divided loyalties suck.
Old April 1 2013, 11:45 PM   #17
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Kirby wrote: View Post
And the Rockies lost... I've been a Rockies fan since they started in 1993, I even had season tickets from 96 - 99. I've also been a Twins fan since I was a little kid, but these two teams SUCK and I'm getting sick of putting up with their choke fests. I need to find a new team to root for.
Join the Cubs. At least we choke with style!
Old April 2 2013, 12:00 AM   #18
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

Kira's Mom wrote: View Post
Tom Hendricks wrote: View Post
The Mets had a nice win, pounding out 11 runs including a grand slam. Nothing like starting out the season undefeated and first place. Except being tied with Washington. Speaking of which, Bryce Harper hit two solo home runs today.
My two favorite teams tied. Love it. Divided loyalties suck.
Nothing wrong with that, the Nats seam to be on the verge of a dynasty. You never know what the future holds but with what looks like the real deal in Bryce Harper and the young arms like Staussberg. The sky seams the limit with them. If they don't win the NL East, I will be surprised.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Old April 2 2013, 12:20 AM   #19
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

R. Star wrote: View Post
It's gonna be a long season for my Cubbies. The only question is who we're trading first, if Garza has any trade value and if anyone will take Soriano's contract?

Though to end this post on an optimistic note. Our boy Samardzija looked great against the Bucs.
Garza's value fell off a cliff with his arm issues at the end of last season, and now he isn't expected to be back with the team until the beginning of May. Unless he comes back and he's pitching like a moon monster in May and June, I don't think the Cubs will move him.

As for Soriano, he isn't going anywhere unless the Cubs eat probably two-thirds of the $36 million still owed to him. His full no-trade protection throws another wrench into the works, because he does not want to leave Chicago.
Old April 2 2013, 12:29 AM   #20
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

It's gonna be a long season for my Cubbies. The only question is who we're trading first, if Garza has any trade value and if anyone will take Soriano's contract?

Though to end this post on an optimistic note. Our boy Samardzija looked great against the Bucs.
Rizzo's homer looked absolutely effortless, and it wasn't even a clean bat-on-ball.

A little more square & it would've gone in the river.
Old April 2 2013, 01:59 AM   #21
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Seems very strange opening the season against the Reds.

Extra innings win, Weaver looked pretty good. 3 errors is not going to cut it, though.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
Old April 2 2013, 02:28 AM   #22
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Giants played well until Kershaw shocked them with the bat. Then they imploded. I'm not concerned yet, but can we get some runs please. It just seems like they can't figure Kershaw out at all.
Old April 2 2013, 02:41 AM   #23
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
Giants played well until Kershaw shocked them with the bat. Then they imploded. I'm not concerned yet, but can we get some runs please. It just seems like they can't figure Kershaw out at all.
Well, there's also the little thing about Clayton Kershaw being really, really good at throwing (and, from today, hitting) a baseball.
Old April 2 2013, 12:05 PM   #24
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Nice to see The Ted packed for once. There were more people at the game last night than there were at the playoff game last year. Dan Uggla, Freddie Freeman, and Justin Upton hit home runs along with some monster hits by Gerald Laird. If he can keep that up, it will make it easier to get rid of injury prone McCann.
Old April 2 2013, 12:25 PM   #25
Use of Time
Commodore

It was also nice to see Chris Johnson play well at third. On base three times in his Braves debut. Also, it looks like Uggla lost about 15 pounds. Hopefully he can be at least something like the player he was in Miami.
Old April 2 2013, 02:15 PM   #26
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

Kirby wrote: View Post
And the Rockies lost... I've been a Rockies fan since they started in 1993, I even had season tickets from 96 - 99. I've also been a Twins fan since I was a little kid, but these two teams SUCK and I'm getting sick of putting up with their choke fests. I need to find a new team to root for.
</p>

Join the Cubs. At least we choke with style!
Yeah, the Cubs 'Lovable Losers' vs. the Rox 'Losers' sounds pretty good to me right now.
Old April 2 2013, 02:37 PM   #27
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
Nice to see The Ted packed for once. There were more people at the game last night than there were at the playoff game last year. Dan Uggla, Freddie Freeman, and Justin Upton hit home runs along with some monster hits by Gerald Laird. If he can keep that up, it will make it easier to get rid of injury prone McCann.
Well, there's kind of this little problem of Gerald Laird not being good at baseball.
Old April 2 2013, 04:26 PM   #28
Use of Time
Commodore

No but Evan Gattis is expected to do the bulk of the catching. I think Hudson felt a little more comofortable with Laird which is why he played last night. Gattis has monster power and has hit consistently over 300 in the minors. He also had a ridiculously good Spring hitting 357 with six home runs and 16 RBI to win the "starting catching job." I don't expect Laird to finish the season with Atlanta. Laird is going to get playing time for his ability to be a signal caller behind the plate. His bat will be buried towards the back end of the lineup anyway.
Old April 2 2013, 05:37 PM   #29
Pegaritaville
Vice Admiral

Glad I turned down some free tickets to the Twins opener. Not only did they lost (I didn't expect them to win against Verlander), but it took them 3 1/2 hours in 35 degree weather to do it. The Twins made a lot of changes to their pitching staff this year, but I think that's going to be their weak spot again.
Old April 2 2013, 06:01 PM   #30
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Use of Time wrote: View Post
No but Evan Gattis is expected to do the bulk of the catching. I think Hudson felt a little more comofortable with Laird which is why he played last night. Gattis has monster power and has hit consistently over 300 in the minors. He also had a ridiculously good Spring hitting 357 with six home runs and 16 RBI to win the "starting catching job." I don't expect Laird to finish the season with Atlanta. Laird is going to get playing time for his ability to be a signal caller behind the plate. His bat will be buried towards the back end of the lineup anyway.
Gattis is a complete headcase and he couldn't hit worth shit in AA last year -- he's never even seen AAA pitchers, to say nothing of major league arms. Beyond that, you underestimate just how much Fredi Gonzalez loves Laird. Gattis will probably get 35 - 40 percent of the starts at most until Brian McCann comes back to continue his slow descent into mediocrity, at which point Gattis is going back to the minors.

And, again, hitting like a freak of nature in spring training is totally meaningless. The Royals have something like a .540 winning percentage in spring over the last ten years, for heaven's sake.
Closed Thread