The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old March 31 2013, 02:37 PM   #16
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Re: HD Remasters of 'Final Fantasy X & Final Fantasy X-2'Coming to the

I remember sinking 2/3 hours into getting the Tonberry GF.....
Old April 1 2013, 10:32 PM   #17
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Two words: Triple Triad.

Old April 2 2013, 01:45 AM   #18
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Angel4576 wrote: View Post
I miss the days of games taking 100+ hours to complete. Finished Mass Effect 1 today, taking 30 hours. Thought that was pretty good, until I loaded up my last FFVIII save on the PS3 and it clocked in at 80 hours and I hadn't even gotten on to the final disc yet.
20-30 hours max. Any game that goes beyond that sweet spot is just filled to the brim with padding and forced level grinding. When I was a kid with way too much free time and no money I loved the idea of a long game, but as an adult with a full time job I don't feel like wasting an entire evening with some slow grind of a game without making any progress. At 5 hours a week it would take me about 4-5 months to finish the game. I want to play more than 2 or 3 games a year.

Also, FF VIII does not take 100 hours to beat. No JRPG has ever taken 100 hours to beat (maybe Dragon Quest VII). Unless you're leaving the system on overnight or you're addicted to Triple Triad I have no idea how you can rack up that many hours with the game. Spoony's review was funny as hell, but you really don't need to draw grind to beat the game.

EDIT TO ADD:

You know, despite saying that, I do tend to play a lot of long games. I am eagerly awaiting the Dragon Quest VII remake for the 3DS and I believe that's the longest JRPG ever made. I think I just prefer games to be shorter, but I'm not going to pass up a great game because it's long.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."

Last edited by Kelthaz; April 2 2013 at 05:03 AM.
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2013, 05:53 PM   #19
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Angel4576 wrote: View Post
I miss the days of games taking 100+ hours to complete. Finished Mass Effect 1 today, taking 30 hours. Thought that was pretty good, until I loaded up my last FFVIII save on the PS3 and it clocked in at 80 hours and I hadn't even gotten on to the final disc yet.
20-30 hours max. Any game that goes beyond that sweet spot is just filled to the brim with padding and forced level grinding. When I was a kid with way too much free time and no money I loved the idea of a long game, but as an adult with a full time job I don't feel like wasting an entire evening with some slow grind of a game without making any progress. At 5 hours a week it would take me about 4-5 months to finish the game. I want to play more than 2 or 3 games a year.

Also, FF VIII does not take 100 hours to beat. No JRPG has ever taken 100 hours to beat (maybe Dragon Quest VII). Unless you're leaving the system on overnight or you're addicted to Triple Triad I have no idea how you can rack up that many hours with the game. Spoony's review was funny as hell, but you really don't need to draw grind to beat the game.

EDIT TO ADD:

You know, despite saying that, I do tend to play a lot of long games. I am eagerly awaiting the Dragon Quest VII remake for the 3DS and I believe that's the longest JRPG ever made. I think I just prefer games to be shorter, but I'm not going to pass up a great game because it's long.
My last PS3 save was at 80 hours, and I'm not onto Disc 4 yet. I did a fair amount of grinding, getting all the GFs etc, which seemed to take me an age. Triple Triad probably ate up a few hours, but not an excessive amount.

Granted, I do take my time, and do pretty much everything that I can do. I'm not in any particular rush to finish the game, that's why it's taken me over 12 months to beat it, I just keep going back to it and putting a few hours in every now and then.

For longevity, Xenoblade Chronicles was great - anywhere between 67 and 170 hours to complete, dependent on how thorough you were being. Can't wait for the sequal.
Old April 2 2013, 09:03 PM   #20
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
I am eagerly awaiting the Dragon Quest VII remake for the 3DS and I believe that's the longest JRPG ever made.
AFAIK it is. At least it's the longest I've ever played, and I've played most of them. Even that, however, can be completed in the 60-80 range, probably even less if you keep the class grinding to a minimum.

I didn't even know there was going to be remake. I still haven't played DQVI (My favorite of the lot.) because my DS was stolen right before it came out, and I never bought another.
Old April 27 2013, 03:17 AM   #21
T.Geiger
Lieutenant Commander

All of the FF games can be completed around 40 hours with everything minus excessive grinding done. That's how I did them all through X-2. I can't imagine how you spent 80 hours, because I'm not sure it took me that long even on my excessive grinding playthrough. I am also guessing you left the system on without pause.

There are definitely games that take that long and longer though. I think my final time on Disgaea 1 was 200 hours before I finally put it down. But then, that series is entirely about the grind.

As for how remakes of the PS1 games might look? It can probably be determined by looking at Final Fantasy IV DS. Improved graphics and voice acting. Some minor additions (new items, semi-customizable summon). A major new game system that still fits the overall game quite well. And I think it had a new superboss? (Kind of hard to remember which features were in Advance and which were DS.) Its a bit of a toss-up at to whether Advance or DS is the definitive version (depending on what you thought of the new dungeons in Advance), but the DS edition is certainly worthy of serious consideration. (Haven't played the FFIV trilogy on Wii.)

Most of the X-2 hate comes from people who cringe at the thought of playing Yuna's Magical Hotpants Adventure. Which is at least mildly understandable. And the core story in the game ranges from poorly handled to utter garbage. The game certainly has some mis-steps here and there. Like the entire chapter you get to spend watching web-cams.

But the side stories are kind of interesting, the class system is pretty good, and the battle system is probably one of the best. Some of the mini-games are also neat, but that's a decidedly more mixed bag. What has me interested is all the additions that were made to the international version. Its somewhere between a DLC and an expansion pack.

I'm holding out for an insane hope that it will come to the Xbox, since that's my preferred system, but I will definitely be picking it up.
T.Geiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 07:47 PM   #22
Ryva Brall
Commander

This is so weird. I just started playing FFX again for the first time since it came out in '01. And I've come to the realization that I actually remember very little of it. I like the battle system, though. And the sphere grid is a pretty cool idea, if you're into leveling up. It's nice to be able to completely customize your characters' abilities.

I'm also loving most of the voice acting. I get a kick out of John DiMaggio's islander accent.

I never played FFX-2. I may give it a chance someday, but it just looked... too girly. And yes, I am a girl. Don't let the Buster Keaton icon fool you.
Old April 27 2013, 09:50 PM   #23
RyuRoots
Fleet Captain

View RyuRoots's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to RyuRoots

Oh, don't worry. FFX-2 has a myriad list of flaws, and I wouldn't even consider "too girly" one of them. If anything, I thought it was nice that we got a focused, all-female primary cast. Just...what was done with them left much to be desired. IMO, of course.